Poll

Tatum + Jaylen + Williams + MEM/SAC/LAC/BOS #1s + overpay Marcus Morris

Yes
20 (37.7%)
No
33 (62.3%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Our potential Godfather offer  (Read 8022 times)

Re: Our potential Godfather offer
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2019, 01:01:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
AD will NOT re-sign with you if you gut your team to get him.
Sure he will. It depends all on who the players are kept by the team to pair with Davis.

Right. We’d still have Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and Smart. Is that team “gutted”?
you're initial proposal had "salary filler".  right now, that's just Smart.  who are you sending out in his place that has a salary that can be used to match Davis' contract?  If you can specify someone other than Smart that fits that requirement, great, we still have Smart but if not, Smart's not part of the equation.

in the end, even with Smart, that's a pretty thin bench unless you're assuming Rozier is resigned with the new Kyrie mega-deal and your proposed overpayment for Morris.

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sure he will. It depends all on who the players are kept by the team to pair with Davis.

Right. We’d still have Kyrie, Horford, Hayward and Smart. Is that team “gutted”?
you're initial proposal had "salary filler".  right now, that's just Smart.  who are you sending out in his place that has a salary that can be used to match Davis' contract?  If you can specify someone other than Smart that fits that requirement, great, we still have Smart but if not, Smart's not part of the equation.

in the end, even with Smart, that's a pretty thin bench unless you're assuming Rozier is resigned with the new Kyrie mega-deal and your proposed overpayment for Morris.

As I’ve noted several times, Smart wouldn’t be included. Sorry to not specifically spell it out; I assume people have a basic knowledge of the CBA.

Yabu, signed draft picks, potentially a free agent signed to the MLE at the end of this season, etc.  That easily brings you over the threshold.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Danny wants to go "all in", he can include both Tatum and Brown, along with Robert Williams, salary filler, and four #1s.  As a way of sweetening the pot for Rich Paul and paving the way for Davis in Boston, Danny could also promise Marcus Morris -- one of Paul's clients -- a $20+ million contract offer.

Does that offer make you blink?

I think this is great proposal. Keep Smart and throw bone to Paul. Gamble is that Hayward will be decent next season. I’m will big to bet he will be. He needs to adjust his game to take more floaters, until he can finish better at the rim.

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Yikes, who are we bidding against here, ourselves?  Need to keep some of those picks to keep the roster stocked with rookie contracts to balance the top of the cap sheet.   

In re the Smart vs. Brown debate, would prefer to keep Smart's contract than risk having to match a big offer sheet to Jaylen.  Plus just think he is a more suitable 4th/5th guy on a title team. 

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

As I’ve noted several times, Smart wouldn’t be included. Sorry to not specifically spell it out; I assume people have a basic knowledge of the CBA.

Yabu, signed draft picks, potentially a free agent signed to the MLE at the end of this season, etc.  That easily brings you over the threshold.
OK, just wanted to know what your plan was for making up the salary difference.  it would seem now that the filler is just truly filler that NO would be expected to take on many players to their roster that they'll have to figure out how to fit while just losing Davis

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2019, 04:40:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know why Horford (or Hayward) isn't the cap makeweight.

Keep Smart. Keep one of Jaylen /  Tatum.

Those two guys plus Kyrie and AD give Boston a dynasty. Keep the youth and keep a long window of title contention.
Horford because he can opt out if he doesn't want to be either in New Orleans or out of Boston. Hayward because he is playing like he is and could be for two more years at over $30 million a year. No wat NO wants him included.

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2019, 04:46:36 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
No, I wouldn't do that trade. Kyrie and AD alone aren't enough for a championship and we don't know if Hayward will ever perform like he did in Utah again.

Al is getting older, Marcus Morris is coming back down to earth. We have to keep some of our younger talent.

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

OK, just wanted to know what your plan was for making up the salary difference.  it would seem now that the filler is just truly filler that NO would be expected to take on many players to their roster that they'll have to figure out how to fit while just losing Davis
You could make up the salary by signing the draft picks chosen for New Orleans and including them in salary. Of course, how much that fills the salary up depends on where those picks land.

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:46 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
So...what about trading Kyrie and Brown for AD with a pick, and getting probably 2 almost guaranteed deep playoff runs in with a Tatum/Horford/Davis front court?  Rozier/Smart can start next to that group easily. Clears up the bench, too, with Morris and Hayward the featured performers.

Though I'd rather trade picks than Brown if Kyrie is out.

But after 2 good playoff runs here, I'd say we'd have a good chance to keep him.

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
So...what about trading Kyrie and Brown for AD with a pick, and getting probably 2 almost guaranteed deep playoff runs in with a Tatum/Horford/Davis front court?  Rozier/Smart can start next to that group easily. Clears up the bench, too, with Morris and Hayward the featured performers.

Though I'd rather trade picks than Brown if Kyrie is out.

But after 2 good playoff runs here, I'd say we'd have a good chance to keep him.

The problem with Irving is that he has an expiring contract. Hard to find a 3rd team that's confident that he'll resign with them that they will give up significant assets to New Orleans. Also I view Irving as a top 10 player in the league, there's a big question mark whether Tatum will ever reach that status.

« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2019, 05:16:31 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I think i've found godfather offer:

Boston: Davis, Moore

New Orleans: Hayward, Drummond, Brown, Rozier, 2 Detroit Second Round picks, Boston 1st, Sacramento pick, Clippers pick, Memphis pick

Detroit: Horford

« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2019, 06:16:53 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think we are going to trade Kyrie for Davis along with prices and Kylie resigns this summer or is bought out!
That's why he's sitting out.......
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2019, 06:19:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think i've found godfather offer:

Boston: Davis, Moore

New Orleans: Hayward, Drummond, Brown, Rozier, 2 Detroit Second Round picks, Boston 1st, Sacramento pick, Clippers pick, Memphis pick

Detroit: Horford

I think Horford would kill that one. I’m not sure NOP wants Hayward’s contract, either.

I don’t see any trade happening where we keep Tatum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2019, 11:55:09 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I think we are going to trade Kyrie for Davis along with prices and Kylie resigns this summer or is bought out!
That's why he's sitting out.......

Good to see you, Gomesfan.

No way to I want Kylie in Boston, though. ;)