Author Topic: Hawks shopping Taurean Prince  (Read 1808 times)

Hawks shopping Taurean Prince
« on: January 24, 2019, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/1/23/18194617/atlanta-hawks-trade-rumors-nba-taurean-prince-kent-bazemore-chandler-parsons-houston-rockets

pretty surprised by this as i have been thoroughly impressed by Prince. You'd think a play hard, balls to the wall player like Taurean is the exact kind of players the Hawks want to try to keep to build the kind of gritty culture that has made them successful in the past.

Any interest in Prince? I think he could probably play the same role as Morris - stretch 4 with a 3 pt. shot.

Re: Hawks shopping Taurean Prince
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:16:28 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/1/23/18194617/atlanta-hawks-trade-rumors-nba-taurean-prince-kent-bazemore-chandler-parsons-houston-rockets

pretty surprised by this as i have been thoroughly impressed by Prince. You'd think a play hard, balls to the wall player like Taurean is the exact kind of players the Hawks want to try to keep to build the kind of gritty culture that has made them successful in the past.

Any interest in Prince? I think he could probably play the same role as Morris - stretch 4 with a 3 pt. shot.

We have enough of a crunch on the wing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:17:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
My first thought was Rozier for Prince, but then I thought that Boston could probably expand the trade and get Dedmon as well so I came up with

Morris, Rozier, Yabu, Bird for Dedmon, Prince, Carter

That is a fairly reasonable trade for both teams and would make the Hawks waive Bird.  Boston drops about a million salary as well, so gets them much closer to not being a tax payer, such that moving Baynes for a lower priced contract gets the team there (and with Dedmon, Baynes becomes less important). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My first thought was Rozier for Prince, but then I thought that Boston could probably expand the trade and get Dedmon as well so I came up with

That is a fairly reasonable trade for both teams and would make the Hawks waive Bird.  Boston drops about a million salary as well, so gets them much closer to not being a tax payer, such that moving Baynes for a lower priced contract gets the team there (and with Dedmon, Baynes becomes less important).

I'd definitely rather roll with Rozier, Morris, Baynes, and Yabu going into the playoffs than Prince, Dedmon, and some unnamed player in the Baynes trade.

I suppose it is possible to get under the tax with this deal, but Prince's contract is coming up too, and he plays a position where we already have a log-jam. I also don't think Dedmon is a better player than Baynes.

Still, it is interesting in theory.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Only things I can think of for them moving him is that he is going to be older for their rebuild (about to be 26). Young is 20, Collins is 21 their lottery pick this year will most likely be the same. 

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 01:42:11 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

I'd definitely rather roll with Rozier, Morris, Baynes, and Yabu going into the playoffs than Prince, Dedmon, and some unnamed player in the Baynes trade.

I suppose it is possible to get under the tax with this deal, but Prince's contract is coming up too, and he plays a position where we already have a log-jam. I also don't think Dedmon is a better player than Baynes.

I agree with most of this.....

But are you describing Vince Carter as some unnamed player? I mean he is old and what not but he is still HOF Vinsanity

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:44:39 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

the unnamed player was Vince Carter. 

Dedmon is a lot better than Baynes.  He is a much better 3 point shooter, and a better defender and rebounder (though they are close in the last 2).  Dedmon quite simply would be able to play more minutes in Boston's system given his 3 point range.  I consider him a real upgrade. 

And frankly I don't think Rozier is going to play much at all in the playoffs and wouldn't be surprised to see Morris' role greatly diminished with playoff minutes elsewhere (and Morris doesn't provide anything better than anyone else on the team, while Baynes/Dedmon do).  That said I'd be fine swapping Baynes for Morris in the deal and then just looking to move Morris in a trade to drop the remaining money to get below the tax line.  I just figured they'd rather have Morris and I wouldn't be interested in including any picks (I think Prince and Rozier have similar value given the contract situations - i.e. Rozier is better but he is a f.a. while Prince has an extra year of team control).

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

the unnamed player was Vince Carter. 

Dedmon is a lot better than Baynes.  He is a much better 3 point shooter, and a better defender and rebounder (though they are close in the last 2).  Dedmon quite simply would be able to play more minutes in Boston's system given his 3 point range.  I consider him a real upgrade. 

And frankly I don't think Rozier is going to play much at all in the playoffs and wouldn't be surprised to see Morris' role greatly diminished with playoff minutes elsewhere (and Morris doesn't provide anything better than anyone else on the team, while Baynes/Dedmon do).  That said I'd be fine swapping Baynes for Morris in the deal and then just looking to move Morris in a trade to drop the remaining money to get below the tax line.  I just figured they'd rather have Morris and I wouldn't be interested in including any picks (I think Prince and Rozier have similar value given the contract situations - i.e. Rozier is better but he is a f.a. while Prince has an extra year of team control).

I guess we disagree on Dedmon. I see his stats. I also know Baynes is unlikely to ever have Dedmon's stats, even on a bad team. But when I watch them play, I always think, "Man, Baynes really knows how to fulfill his roll well." I haven't thought that of Dedmon. He isn't bad, but I've never thought he fulfilled his role really well.

He's fine. In fact, he might help a playoff team if he gets traded, but I think I'd rather play Theis and Baynes over him. I might even rather play Williams over him in key matchups.

We can disagree on that. I see your thinking.

I didn't see the Carter thing. I doubt Carter plays at all with our depth at wing. Prince might play some, but with Hayward, Brown, and Tatum, two big lineups, multiple guard lineups, etc., I'd guess neither would help as much as Morris and Rozier. Neither guy can defend big forwards as well as Morris, which would be a big plus against Simmons, Giannis, Leonard, Durant, James, etc.

Rozier has a track record of being a significant playoff contributor (big game player) since his rookie year. I'd rather have that "card in the deck" going into the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 02:38:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I'd love to replace Theis with Dedmon rather than Baynes.

I think Dedmon's defensive skill-set with his quickness and mobility is more comparable to a defender like Theis than a big body low post defender like Baynes. That would keep Boston's ability to create / negate matchup issues at center with Baynes' physicality which they'd lose otherwise.

Dedmon more comparable to Theis defensively (mobility and quickness) and offensively. Dedmon gives that jump-shot threat and mobility in the PnR and in transition.

Dedmon would be a big upgrade over Theis.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I'd love to replace Theis with Dedmon rather than Baynes.

I think Dedmon's defensive skill-set with his quickness and mobility is more comparable to a defender like Theis than a big body low post defender like Baynes. That would keep Boston's ability to create / negate matchup issues at center with Baynes' physicality which they'd lose otherwise.

Dedmon more comparable to Theis defensively (mobility and quickness) and offensively. Dedmon gives that jump-shot threat and mobility in the PnR and in transition.

Dedmon would be a big upgrade over Theis.
I just don't see Stevens playing Horford with Dedmon or Baynes all that much.  Maybe a couple of minutes a game.  I just don't see enough minutes laying around for that, though my trade had Morris not Baynes going out so theoretically Boston would still have Dedmon and Baynes on the roster (I theorized that Baynes might be moved in another trade to drop below the tax line). 

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 06:09:18 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Great deal for the C’s! Dedmon and Baynes complement each other.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:40:17 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd love Prince here, I think he'd be a great addition.  I'm not sure what we have to offer, other than picks, though.  I can't see Atlanta trading for Rozier, when they're so heavily invested in Trae.  That might be a bad pairing, chemistry wise.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 06:47:35 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Why would Atlanta want Rozier or Morris for that matter?  Rozier isn't going to be happy playing behind Young.  Morris would certainly bolt in the offseason.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I can see them dealing Bazemore, Dedmon, Lin and Carter. I figured Prince would be one of their young building blocks along with Young, Collins and Bembry.