Author Topic: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude  (Read 10621 times)

Re: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 06:41:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Mmm real interesting take and whatever’s happening back stage is probably wayyy worse than what’s being let on. A few guys don’t seem happy with their roles, and if I had to guess, it’d be Tatum, Rozier and Brown. That’s 1/3 of your rotation. Coincidentally, these are the 3 guys who led us to the ECF last year.

Add to that, it seems like Hayward has a negative aura about him. So just negative vibes all around. When we win, players seem like it’s “NBD, of course we were gonna win”. When we lose, players probably point fingers at each other or think to themselves “I need more touches”

This is all speculation but it doesn’t seem far fetched, no?

Tommy had a good point in that Clips game. He said “after a loss like this, it’s a sit-down moment and guys have to come together and talk about what do I need to do to be better for this team? Have some humility! In times like these, losers point fingers at each other. If they start doing that, then the season is lost.”

Wise words from a championship coach imo

Here's what another championship coach, Doc Rivers, had to say:

“People think that’s easy. Like, it’s hard,” Rivers said. “That is hard. I remember Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski) when I was at Duke watching (son) Austin play, he always talked about the separators. He said, ‘You know, what we really want is him to separate from everyone else, so we know. And then the next guy to separate from everyone else.’

“But when you have eight of those guys … You know, Kyrie obviously is the separator. But then everyone else in what line, and then you’ve got to get them to buy into that, and that’s hard, man. That’s hard. The fan thinks, well, they should all do it because they all want to win a title. They do want to win a title, but each guy thinks doing it the way he’s doing it is the reason you’re going to win a title. So it’s not as easy as it sounds. It’s very hard.”

“You’ve got to get them to play their roles, and young guys and roles don’t match,” he said. “Every young guy that comes in was probably an All-American, was probably the guy at his college. We told Al (Jefferson) he was the offensive player, and we told Perk (Kendrick Perkins) he was the defensive player, and Perk was like, ‘What the hell are you talking about? I scored 30 a game in high school.’ And we were like, yes, and now you’re a picker and you’re a roller. And it took Perk a while, I would say four years, to really like accept that role, and that’s hard.

“Everybody has All-Star dreams on their mind, where, as a coach, you only have winning. That’s your only goal. So you hope they make all that, but you really don’t care. You want them to learn how to win. And so I think Brad’s doing a great job. He’s teaching them how to win, and all the other stuff comes. But you’ve got to convince them that winning first, then everything else, you get. You don’t make All-Star first and everything else, you get. It’s usually winning first. That’s the order it should be in.”

“They’re trying to establish themselves,” he said. “They’re trying to make who they are. I remember Perk and Al and (Rajon) Rondo, early on I used to think they played harder against each other in practice. And then once the minutes were established in the game, then they were cool. Like, no, that’s the opponent. We can’t be our own opponent. But it is not an easy task.”

The Celtics got some clear separation on their roster when Ainge traded for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in the 2007 offseason. But there was still the matter of getting those stars and Paul Pierce to harmonize. But with each having already gained the individual honors, they understood the larger picture.

“That could have been hard, but from the day they walked in…,” Rivers said. “Now, it was up to them to buy in, and they were at the point in their careers — and it’s where like Gordon (Hayward) is and it’s where Kyrie is right now — they’re at winning time. Everybody else is still at winning time, but they have other things they want to establish.”

Looking back at those ready to sacrifice, Rivers said, “(Al) Horford, he may be the poster child of it. He may be the poster child of ‘team.’ He’s on another level.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/09/bulpett-doc-rivers-knows-its-hard-getting-talented-young-celtics-to-buy-into-roles/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Mmm real interesting take and whatever’s happening back stage is probably wayyy worse than what’s being let on. A few guys don’t seem happy with their roles, and if I had to guess, it’d be Tatum, Rozier and Brown. That’s 1/3 of your rotation. Coincidentally, these are the 3 guys who led us to the ECF last year.

Add to that, it seems like Hayward has a negative aura about him. So just negative vibes all around. When we win, players seem like it’s “NBD, of course we were gonna win”. When we lose, players probably point fingers at each other or think to themselves “I need more touches”

Tommy had a good point in that Clips game. He said “after a loss like this, it’s a sit-down moment and guys have to come together and talk about what do I need to do to be better for this team? Have some humility! In times like these, losers point fingers at each other. If they start doing that, then the season is lost.”

The far fetched thing is Hayward having a 'negative aura'. What does that even mean?

There is definitely contention in the locker room though

Sorry lemme clarify. It seems like (watching the games at least), Hayward is the one more easily discouraged guys on the team. Guys like Jaylen and Rozier are more relentless (for better or worse as it can result in selfish play, quick shots, turnovers, etc.), but GH looks like he gets discouraged after a bad call goes against him or he gets shut down by the defense or he commits a turnover or two.

And then when he makes good plays, he doesn’t really get hyped either. Actually, it looks more like “ugh finally!” with the way he sometimes claps in frustration or shakes his head.

It’s not like he’s stoic out there. It just looks like he has a low key mopey vibe.

Yes that's quite obvious. He seems to get down on himself very easily. Maybe because he's really the new element introduced into a team that made the ECF last season, he feels sensitive about being the reason everyone else has to sacrifice. Maybe he's picking up body language from the younger guys that he's the reason they have to take on smaller roles after having breakout seasons and it's coming out in his vibe.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:56:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391

“People think that’s easy. Like, it’s hard,” Rivers said. “That is hard. I remember Coach K (Mike Krzyzewski) when I was at Duke watching (son) Austin play, he always talked about the separators. He said, ‘You know, what we really want is him to separate from everyone else, so we know. And then the next guy to separate from everyone else.’

“But when you have eight of those guys … You know, Kyrie obviously is the separator. But then everyone else in what line, and then you’ve got to get them to buy into that, and that’s hard, man. That’s hard. The fan thinks, well, they should all do it because they all want to win a title. They do want to win a title, but each guy thinks doing it the way he’s doing it is the reason you’re going to win a title. So it’s not as easy as it sounds. It’s very hard.”

“You’ve got to get them to play their roles, and young guys and roles don’t match,” he said. “Every young guy that comes in was probably an All-American, was probably the guy at his college. We told Al (Jefferson) he was the offensive player, and we told Perk (Kendrick Perkins) he was the defensive player, and Perk was like, ‘What the hell are you talking about? I scored 30 a game in high school.’ And we were like, yes, and now you’re a picker and you’re a roller. And it took Perk a while, I would say four years, to really like accept that role, and that’s hard.

“Everybody has All-Star dreams on their mind, where, as a coach, you only have winning. That’s your only goal. So you hope they make all that, but you really don’t care. You want them to learn how to win. And so I think Brad’s doing a great job. He’s teaching them how to win, and all the other stuff comes. But you’ve got to convince them that winning first, then everything else, you get. You don’t make All-Star first and everything else, you get. It’s usually winning first. That’s the order it should be in.”

“They’re trying to establish themselves,” he said. “They’re trying to make who they are. I remember Perk and Al and (Rajon) Rondo, early on I used to think they played harder against each other in practice. And then once the minutes were established in the game, then they were cool. Like, no, that’s the opponent. We can’t be our own opponent. But it is not an easy task.”

The Celtics got some clear separation on their roster when Ainge traded for Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen in the 2007 offseason. But there was still the matter of getting those stars and Paul Pierce to harmonize. But with each having already gained the individual honors, they understood the larger picture.

“That could have been hard, but from the day they walked in…,” Rivers said. “Now, it was up to them to buy in, and they were at the point in their careers — and it’s where like Gordon (Hayward) is and it’s where Kyrie is right now — they’re at winning time. Everybody else is still at winning time, but they have other things they want to establish.”

Looking back at those ready to sacrifice, Rivers said, “(Al) Horford, he may be the poster child of it. He may be the poster child of ‘team.’ He’s on another level.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/09/bulpett-doc-rivers-knows-its-hard-getting-talented-young-celtics-to-buy-into-roles/

Really good quotes from Doc too. Especially that Perk outtake. Eye opener (for me at least, because I had always perceived perk as an obvious non-offensive player)

It made me remember another Tommy quote during the clipper game, when the Clips were making their run in the 3rd and the C’s kept coming up empty. He grumbled, “guys (Celtics players) are trying to win the game on their own now.”

That echoes what Doc is saying here too, where our guys were the man in their own respective college careers and could “carry a team” and how those habits/mindset can translate to the NBA.

As maligned as Doc can be on this board, he was great at managing egos and personalities.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Really good quotes from Doc too. Especially that Perk outtake. Eye opener (for me at least, because I had always perceived perk as an obvious non-offensive player)

It made me remember another Tommy quote during the clipper game, when the Clips were making their run in the 3rd and the C’s kept coming up empty. He grumbled, “guys (Celtics players) are trying to win the game on their own now.”

That echoes what Doc is saying here too, where our guys were the man in their own respective college careers and could “carry a team” and how those habits/mindset can translate to the NBA.

As maligned as Doc can be on this board, he was great at managing egos and personalities.

Data driven sabermetrics style coaching vs the human touch. You need a bit of both I think.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2019, 07:47:26 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I call BS, they were having plenty fun in the first half !
And the bench always look supportive .
If anyone in the team is looking for his own shot it’s morris.
He is just using all the standard cliches players use after tough loss.
Just change the game plan going into the 3rd. Prepare for a comeback , don’t settle for jump shots . Get to the line.

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2019, 08:03:15 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Ita Rozier and Hayward.

No doubt.

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 08:06:19 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I just going to post before I read this that it’s rare for young teams to win because of this simple fact. 

Maybe it’s time to change up the starting lineup again.  Who knows.  I think we are definitely missing Baynes and his toughness.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Time for Ainge to start preparing for summer. This just ain't team that can consistently win. We got no chance in playoffs against PHI,TOR,MIL. Mark my words.

I tend to agree and  CBS should be under scrutiny too.
This isn’t really too hot a take.  I think it’s obvious to anyone watching that this team - as currently performing —- won’t compete for a championship.  Similar things were said about the Patriots about 2 months ago.  I don’t think it’s a loss cause, but I definitely think a lineup shake up is a first step.  Baynes back and the right buyout pickup could have an influence on the dynamics.  The team has talent. 

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 08:18:35 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I call BS, they were having plenty fun in the first half !
And the bench always look supportive .
If anyone in the team is looking for his own shot it’s morris.
He is just using all the standard cliches players use after tough loss.
Just change the game plan going into the 3rd. Prepare for a comeback , don’t settle for jump shots . Get to the line.

Yeah, I mean this was my first impression, too. I understand that this might be how Morris 'feels', but I don't know that this is the overall take among all players. Morris was a bench player all of last year and for the first part of this year - I am sure he desperately wants to hold on to his starting spot going into the offseason (even though he said otherwise) where he will be a FA looking for his first big payday.

When teams win, it is fun for players and they jump around on the sidelines. When they lose - especially with teams composed of talented veterans (leaving the young guys out of it for a moment) - it is not fun.
That 3rd quarter was absolutely atrocious last night and that was coming on the heels of that stupid Lakers game. No one is going to be happy after that one.

Frankly, I would rather go back to last year's starting line-up (when Baynes is healthy) and get everybody back into their 'roles.' I understand the start of the season didn't go as planned, but by inserting Smart and Morris into the starting line-up, Brad created two additional players (along with Hayward) who thought they were deserving of starting and getting more touches.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 08:45:19 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I'd love to see Jaylen starting instead of Morris. Play him at SF and Tatum at PF. See how that lineup does together with Smart at SG.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2019, 08:45:23 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
First of all I think that a Marcus Morris caliber player shouldn't have this kind of a press conference in front of a media about this kind of stuff. He should have kept it in the locker room. But, since this is a special team where your have young players wanting to be great individuals, and you have three leaders that are pretty quiet (at least two of them - Gordo and Al, and the one is kinda strange - Ky), you got guys like Mook that are doing the talking. Somewhere on this forum before month and a half I think, I said this is not a championship team. I still stand by my opinion, which it seems nowdays more and more Celtics fans are thinking the same. It should be fair to say that since last season this team is confronted with many obstacles all while being labeled as a contender. On top of all of this, you have to consider Trader Ainge effect where no player feels comfortable because of a possibilities of being traded. That's why all previous teams where playing better b ball after the deadline (plus generally it is considered as a second half of a season so all non tanking teams are trying more, but you get the point).
I am not sure I like this positionless basketball concept. Especially when it not works. Well its working but not quite like we expected... Anyway, I would like to pair Al with another big, and that big is Baynes. Baynes is hurt atm (quite a bit lately), and his subs are Theis and Timelord. Theis is a good player, but he is not a rim protector, he's to small and quickly gets exposed. I don't know what is going on with Timelord but did you see him last night? He had that amazing lob dunk try by Kyrie (omg what a pitty that didn't go in), but he looked amazingly sleepy and disinterested. Brad sub'd him out less then 2 min.
So, when you look at our offense these last two games, these last two second halves, we only go outside and shoot. Very selfish and easy to read, plus you don't get defenders to work so they obviously get more energy on the offensive end. This is just few problems I have with this team (I could go on), but to sum it up. I can't wait for Baynes to get back, and hope we sign some big so we can have insurance down low plus go big most stretches of the games...

Would like for Brad to use big lineups, like Baynes, Al, Tatum, Smart and Kyrie.

P.S. Please Smarty, more cuts and less threes.
P.S. Hope Ky is ok. :(
P.S. Mook is a good role player, not a championship team starting FW.         
P.S. Now my whife is mad at me because I was mad the whole morning because of a Celtics loss...

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think this is a back and forth finger pointing thing that guys are doing and it needs to stop. We know which group played poorly against the Lakers and we know which group played poorly against the Clippers. Morris needs to be quiet with the media. He is just as guilty as others playing selfish ball at times and wanting to start. Why not say this after a game he was poor in? He only talks when certain guys have a bad game

Morris is a lousy team player. Selfishness personified.

He is not a good fit on a team that already has a lot of hands of feed. Only useful to teams that are short-handed on offense once you get past their stars and can therefore live with his selfish black hole style of offense.

I am looking forward to him leaving this summer.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
All the more reason Morris should have been moved at the deadline. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Everyone is looking to make a mark in offense.

...and our defense stinks to high-heavens.  I don’t care what the numbers say.  Our defense don’t pass the eye test.

Mook is right; the joy is gone.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 09:02:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sadly, because Stevens is such a nice guy and refuses to say the things that need to be said, we get guys like Morris saying them.

Problem is, when a teammate says this it just creates more division. That's why the coach needs to be the one saying this stuff.

Really wish we had Doc back right now, I have full confidence he'd be getting through to these guys. Stevens looks like he's in over his head, unfortunately.