Author Topic: Vlade out as Kings GM  (Read 1730 times)

Vlade out as Kings GM
« on: August 15, 2020, 12:56:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Re: Vlade out as Kings GM
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 07:50:32 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Perhaps Buddy remains in Sacramento after all. Not sure whether the Kings would be willing to pay Bogdanovic though (assuming they keep Buddy). I mean, they are both at their best when playing at the SG position. Bogdanovic becomes a RFA this off-season.

Imo, Vlade did a terrible job for the Kings. He kept making wrong decisions one after another. Even so, all he had to do was draft Luka at #2 instead of Bagley. Coming from Serbia himself, I bet he had more firsthand information about Luka than any other GM around the league. That one decision would have secured his job for years to come.

Btw, the Suns had the #1 pick that year. Their head coach at the time was Igor Kokoskov, the head coach of Luka in the Slovenian national team. If there were 2 teams that should have never passed on Luka, these were the Suns and the Kings. Go figure!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:24:52 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 08:06:50 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Even so, all he had to do was draft Luka at #2 instead of Bagley. Coming from Serbia himself, I bet he had more firsthand information about Luka than any other GM around the league. That one decision would have secured his job for years to come.

Maybe it is because he was serb and Doncic slovenian, with personnal issues with the father that he didn't  selected him at 2... And that would be unforgivable.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 08:07:14 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Even so, all he had to do was draft Luka at #2 instead of Bagley. Coming from Serbia himself, I bet he had more firsthand information about Luka than any other GM around the league. That one decision would have secured his job for years to come.

Maybe it is because he is serb and Doncic slovenian, with personnal issues with the father that he didn't  selected him at 2... And that would be unforgivable.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Maybe it is because he was serb and Doncic slovenian, with personnal issues with the father that he didn't  selected him at 2... And that would be unforgivable.
Only Vlade knows whether his personal opinion regarding Luka's father factored into his decision. Maybe not even Vlade himself, cause it might messed up his mind in a subconscious way.

At the end of the day, the Kings had firsthand info about Luka since he was a kid. Vlade knew everything he could possibly know about his game, yet he failed to see Luka's HOF potential.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:17:13 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ahhh ... I liked having Vlade in the league. He wasn't doing a great job or anything but I always liked him as a player and a person. It was nice having him back in the NBA.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Perhaps Buddy remains in Sacramento after all. Not sure whether the Kings would be willing to pay Bogdanovic though (assuming they keep Buddy). I mean, they are both at their best when playing at the SG position. Bogdanovic becomes a RFA this off-season.

Main issue with Buddy is Luke Walton. Walton has problems with Buddy and that is why his playing time has decreased. They gotta get rid of Walton - not Vlade - for Buddy to regain his place in the team.

It is crazy to me that this is even an issue. Buddy is a top 5 shooter / scorer in the league. He is a very very good basketball player. I hate the way Walton has treated him.

I hope Buddy gets a move to a good team so his game can get the plaudits he deserves.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 03:09:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Joe Dumars helped built the early 2000 Detroit Pistons and led them to a title in 2004.

I think the Kings will be in great hands moving forward. Fire Luke Walton and hire somebody like Atkinson.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 03:53:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Main issue with Buddy is Luke Walton. Walton has problems with Buddy and that is why his playing time has decreased. They gotta get rid of Walton - not Vlade - for Buddy to regain his place in the team.
Thanks for the info! Wasn't aware of the situation. My gut feeling was than Vlade was favouring his fellow Serbian Bogdanovic. I mean, if I were the Kings I'd want to keep Bogdanovic happy with a view to re-signing him on a team friendly contract in RFA. I guess it's still possible that Vlade persuaded Walton to start Bogdanovic over Buddy. No way to know for sure what's going on behind the scenes.

It is crazy to me that this is even an issue. Buddy is a top 5 shooter / scorer in the league. He is a very very good basketball player. I hate the way Walton has treated him.

I hope Buddy gets a move to a good team so his game can get the plaudits he deserves.
Imo, he's a one-dimentional player. He's an elite shooter and a good scorer. He's below average at everything else. If his shots aren't falling one night, he's a net negative.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:01:36 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Vlade never struck me as a cognitive-seroious and knowledgeble type of a guy, like bird, mchale, ainge etc.

I had some serious ??? with overpaying bogdan and bjelica, both serbians
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Vlade never struck me as a cognitive-seroious and knowledgeble type of a guy, like bird, mchale, ainge etc.

I had some serious ??? with overpaying bogdan and bjelica, both serbians
He never overpaid any of them actually. Bogdanovic's salary this season was $8,529,386 and Bjelica's salary was $6,825,000.

But yeah, I agree that he did a terrible job overall.

Personally speaking, McHale doesn't strike me as a knowledgeable basketball guy either. Maybe that's just me though.