Author Topic: Congrats Brad Wanamaker  (Read 2443 times)

Re: Congrats Brad Wanamaker
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 08:03:22 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Brad Stevens era has been notable by just how unfamiliar most of it's players have been with the FT line.   Outside of Isaiah Thomas, for much of his tenure I think most of his players viewed the FT line as some sort of abstract artwork painted on the floor, whose meaning and purpose they could not grok.

If not for IT4's two season averaging 6.6 & 8.5 FTA/gm, bringing the team totals to 23.5 & 23.2 FTA/gm in those years, in all other years the team barely managed to take just 20 FTA/gm, including a Stevens-era low of juts 19.5 per game last season (2nd last in the NBA).

This year, though, with Kemba, Gordon & the Two Jays, the team bounced back to average 23.2 per game.  Still well behind the 25-28 per game we used to see when Paul Pierce was in his prime, but a huge improvement and good enough to rank 15th in the NBA.  And what I like the most is that it was a team effort.   Multiple guys getting 'a few' trips to the line each game (or a different guy getting a lot in any given game).

I personally think both Jaylen & Jayson are capable of averaging even more FTAs/gm, even within the shared USG model they are working in.  They just need more experience (and reputation) at drawing fouls.

I really don't understand why some coaches and teams don't do more with free throws and free-throw strategy. Like try to get opponents into early foul trouble in order to get more free throws AND send key opponents to the bench. I know that Brad like the 3pt shot, but whenever the Cs go cold from deep, it would be nice to have him switch to a Plan B of going to the rim a lot and getting to the line a lot.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 09:46:52 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
The Brad Stevens era has been notable by just how unfamiliar most of it's players have been with the FT line.   Outside of Isaiah Thomas, for much of his tenure I think most of his players viewed the FT line as some sort of abstract artwork painted on the floor, whose meaning and purpose they could not grok.

If not for IT4's two season averaging 6.6 & 8.5 FTA/gm, bringing the team totals to 23.5 & 23.2 FTA/gm in those years, in all other years the team barely managed to take just 20 FTA/gm, including a Stevens-era low of juts 19.5 per game last season (2nd last in the NBA).

This year, though, with Kemba, Gordon & the Two Jays, the team bounced back to average 23.2 per game.  Still well behind the 25-28 per game we used to see when Paul Pierce was in his prime, but a huge improvement and good enough to rank 15th in the NBA.  And what I like the most is that it was a team effort.   Multiple guys getting 'a few' trips to the line each game (or a different guy getting a lot in any given game).

I personally think both Jaylen & Jayson are capable of averaging even more FTAs/gm, even within the shared USG model they are working in.  They just need more experience (and reputation) at drawing fouls.

The Jays are already attacking more, give it a season or two and they'll consistently get to the line like other stars (not harden/giannis level of course)! CBS runs a finesse system, that's why his teams don't get to the line, didn't really have the type of players for it until the Jays (outside of IT4)!  I can't think of any of the players we have had in CBS' tenure that would be the type you'd say would get more ft if they were on another team. Outside of Kyrie, IT4, Kemba and the Jays we don't usually have banger type of players. I don't even think Kemba was that type in Charlotte either IIRC. Hard to get to the line when you're just shooting threes or only going inside when there is an open path to the basket (great spacing)!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 11:51:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Well done and well deserved. He's definitely money from the free throw line. I'm glad he's gotten his opportunity this season after turning down more money to go back to Europe.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2020, 04:28:29 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I think part of the issue is our personnel prior to this season - we never really had an FT machine besides IT (Kryknee would go out of his way to avoid contact in the lane) as one of our offensive centrepieces. But yeah I like our current approach now that stuff seems stabilised in the bubble, a "global" offence like what we're doing now will make up for our "shortcoming" of not having an All-NBA/MVP level attacker against stingier defences in the playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA