Author Topic: 53 points in 9 minutes  (Read 7863 times)

53 points in 9 minutes
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9993353/grinnell-jack-taylor-scores-109-points-24-3-pointers

Jack Taylor topped 100 again (he had 138 last year), but what I found most interesting was his 53 points in the first 9 minutes of the second half. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: 53 points in 9 minutes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9993353/grinnell-jack-taylor-scores-109-points-24-3-pointers

Jack Taylor topped 100 again (he had 138 last year), but what I found most interesting was his 53 points in the first 9 minutes of the second half.
The hilarity continues. Maybe they can hire Toine, too?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
wish my guys on my fantasy team produces like that  ;D

and quick Danny, give him a training invite!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:23:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Ugh, not interesting at all.  Especially the part about the opponents that these games were against and their instant foul "strategy".

It's pretty pathetic honestly and I feel that news outlets should be denouncing it as such and not celebrating it. 

You can say what you want about news outlets and their desire for a story no matter what it is, but I think if ESPN treated this story for what it is, ESPN would still get a lot of attention for it and it might help put an end to this kind of nonsense.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
http://deadspin.com/5962514/d+iii-players-138-point+game-is-a-sham-record-and-shouldnt-be-celebrated-by-anyone/1466714609/@barryap

Great read on why this is a silly thing that nobody should be celebrating

I don't think it's worth "celebrating" but I find it really interesting.  It's like a basketball thought exercise being actually played out.  The game taken to the very extremes of one philosophy.

Next I want to see some Llennirg College go the opposite route - hold the ball as long as possible, deliberately throw passes off opponents' feet to try and get shot clock resets, send 4 guys at every offensive board while running one back to end transition plays with fouls, etc.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:23:02 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
http://deadspin.com/5962514/d+iii-players-138-point+game-is-a-sham-record-and-shouldnt-be-celebrated-by-anyone/1466714609/@barryap

Actually, I think that it's a terrible read.  It's just written from a very bitter perspective.  It’s not like Grinnell players are treated than anything other than what they are, D3 players who play a very unique system.

Here’s what I’ve read about Grinnell in the past (though can’t source any of it, and some may be outdated, or feel free to debate/discredit).

The coach asks his players every year if they want to play under the Grinnell system style, or a more standard style.  The players always vote for the Grinnell system.
They play typical D3 competition (which includes NAIA, NCCAA, and such).  This is not different from any other D3 teams.
This is a D3 team that attracts players from all over, because they want to play for Grinnell.  Can any other D3 team claim that?

Bottom line is they’re D3.  If you’re coaching in D3 or playing in D3, you probably don’t have the greatest future prospects.  So you can accept that and be average like everybody else, or you can do something completely different and make the most of your situation.  This is what Grinnell is doing, the coach and players found a way to get national attention for being an anomaly, a win for the coaches, a win for the players. So I don’t get the hate, especially since I’ve never seen anybody treat them as anything other than a circus side show.  They’re like anybody with a Guinness world record from something out of the ordinary.  Does that deadspin writer hate on Dude Perfect too because they get so many YouTube views for their crazy basketball shots?

Every coach would love a book deal.  Only the top few D1 coaches or NBA coaches can ever get one.  Is he mad because the D3 coach found a way to get one for himself by thinking outside of the box?

My impression is that the writer is bitter, because he was your typical low level D1, or D2, or D3 player, feels he is a better player, and is upset that the Grinnell kids get featured on ESPN and Sports Illustrated, while he never got any coverage.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Actually, I think that it's a terrible read.  It's just written from a very bitter perspective.  It’s not like Grinnell players are treated than anything other than what they are, D3 players who play a very unique system.

Here’s what I’ve read about Grinnell in the past (though can’t source any of it, and some may be outdated, or feel free to debate/discredit).

The coach asks his players every year if they want to play under the Grinnell system style, or a more standard style.  The players always vote for the Grinnell system.
They play typical D3 competition (which includes NAIA, NCCAA, and such).  This is not different from any other D3 teams.
This is a D3 team that attracts players from all over, because they want to play for Grinnell.  Can any other D3 team claim that?

Bottom line is they’re D3.  If you’re coaching in D3 or playing in D3, you probably don’t have the greatest future prospects.  So you can accept that and be average like everybody else, or you can do something completely different and make the most of your situation.  This is what Grinnell is doing, the coach and players found a way to get national attention for being an anomaly, a win for the coaches, a win for the players. So I don’t get the hate, especially since I’ve never seen anybody treat them as anything other than a circus side show.  They’re like anybody with a Guinness world record from something out of the ordinary.  Does that deadspin writer hate on Dude Perfect too because they get so many YouTube views for their crazy basketball shots?

Every coach would love a book deal.  Only the top few D1 coaches or NBA coaches can ever get one.  Is he mad because the D3 coach found a way to get one for himself by thinking outside of the box?

My impression is that the writer is bitter, because he was your typical low level D1, or D2, or D3 player, feels he is a better player, and is upset that the Grinnell kids get featured on ESPN and Sports Illustrated, while he never got any coverage.

Your impression is pretty off-base, and my impression is this was your first visit to Deadspin.

Are you similarly pro stat padding in the NBA?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
coach may be telling the team to feed him
but he still gotta make the buckets

not saying this is cool but...

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:04 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I always have a hard time figuring out whether Grinnell is actually winning games. I don't know much about D3, but they have had a good record (~.750) the last few years).  Offensive rebounders passing up easy buckets aside, is there something to this strategy? It actually seems very interesting.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I always have a hard time figuring out whether Grinnell is actually winning games. I don't know much about D3, but they have had a good record (~.750) the last few years).  Offensive rebounders passing up easy buckets aside, is there something to this strategy? It actually seems very interesting.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 03:41:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

Your impression is pretty off-base, and my impression is this was your first visit to Deadspin.

Are you similarly pro stat padding in the NBA?

What am I off base about?

I think stat padding happens all the time, and it’s no big deal really.  In fact, I would think most records were set with the help of stat padding (at least those set in more recent times).  For instance, the specifically mentioned 100 point game by Wilt.

How about the Celtic’s own Dana Barros hitting a 3 in 89 straight games?  You know that streak ended when he missed 5 three pointers in the last minute of a double digit loss, what do you think that was about? 

How about Scott Skiles 30 assist game?  Skiles team won by 40, and yet he played 44 minutes, no other starter played more than 28, what do you think was happening there? 

How about David Robinson's 71 point game that won him the scoring crown on the last day of the season? 

How many triple doubles happen when guys wouldn’t normally be in the game anymore?

Many here thought Rondo trying to pad his assist stats to chase a record last year.

And what's up with your view on my view of deadspin?  I've read their stuff many times over the years.  I think the writer seemed bitter in what to me came off as a hatchet job.  It sounds like he's mad this guy gets a few seconds on SportsCenter, even though it's as a statistical anomaly that nobody takes seriously.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I think your impression of that Deadspin writer is off base, both in his background and his bitterness. I don't read any bitterness in that article, just mockery.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 03:49:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I feel like this guy would be really annoying to play with.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

I think your impression of that Deadspin writer is off base, both in his background and his bitterness. I don't read any bitterness in that article, just mockery.

Eh, if we’re only debating bitterness vs mockery, then maybe we’re just debating semantics.

He’s mocking a D3 player, program, and coach that nobody takes seriously.  He has a problem with them being on ESPN and in Sports Illustrated and the coach getting a book deal, playing against typical competition for a D3 team.

It would be one thing if people were talking about putting Jack Tayler in the HOF, or if people seriously wanted their NBA teams to draft him, or if he was a D1 prospect who went D3 just so he could set records, or major D1 or NBA teams were in a bidding war for the coach, but none of that’s the case.  I see a D3 team/coach that found a unique niche that gets them attention and even helps them recruit.  I say good for them, and I see no need to bash, mock, criticize, them when nobody takes them seriously to begin with.

It comes off as sour grapes to me, but that’s just one lousy poster’s opinion  :)