Author Topic: 2011 CB Historical Draft - Draft Thread  (Read 613049 times)

Re: 2011 CB Historical Draft - Draft Thread
« Reply #3600 on: June 10, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Every starting center can defend Shaq well enough to allow their team defense to be successful.

« Reply #3601 on: June 10, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Every starting center can defend Shaq well enough to allow their team defense to be successful.

I think that's probably right.  Shaq isn't going to run over any of these guys.  Nobody will shut him down, but they'll make him work hard and keep him from dominating.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3602 on: June 10, 2011, 11:27:43 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Which centers can realistically limit Shaq during his superhuman year?

Russell, Chamberlain, Duncan.

Kareem?

See I say pretty surely those answers are No, Maybe, and No.

Russell would do his best to hold Shaq up, but he's not strong enough. Kareem was long enough to bother Shaq, but Shaq would absolutely eat Kareem alive. I don't know how well Shaq would defend him, but Kareem would get ran over.

Shaq and Duncan had some pretty even battles head-head:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=onealsh01

« Reply #3603 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Kareem?

Russell would do his best to hold Shaq up, but he's not strong enough. Kareem was long enough to bother Shaq, but Shaq would absolutely eat Kareem alive. I don't know how well Shaq would defend him, but Kareem would get ran over.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=duncati01&p2=onealsh01

Yeah but you're forgetting that for the year in question, it wasn't Duncan that was defending him.

Might have to add the Admiral to the list.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3604 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Kareem?

If Russell held Chamberlain below his (albeit incredible) scoring averages, why dismiss his ability to slow down Shaq?

« Reply #3605 on: June 10, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Kareem?

Yeah but you're forgetting that for the year in question, it wasn't Duncan that was defending him.

Might have to add the Admiral to the list.

You're right, I always forget how long the Admiral ended up playing.

« Reply #3606 on: June 10, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Kareem?

If Russell held Chamberlain below his (albeit incredible) scoring averages, why dismiss his ability to slow down Shaq?

Because I think Shaq was better in 99-2001 than Wilt was. I've maintained all along, that the most dominating performance I've ever seen from any basketball player is Shaq during those years.

« Reply #3607 on: June 10, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Kareem?

Because I think Shaq was better in 99-2001 than Wilt was. I've maintained all along, that the most dominating performance I've ever seen from any basketball player is Shaq during those years.
Yeah, but to be fair there's not even film on Wilt's 100 point game and I have seen very little complete game Wilt film and I'm 46.

« Reply #3608 on: June 10, 2011, 11:39:27 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Kareem?

Man, I don't know.  Averaging 50 points per game, or scoring 100 in one contest, is pretty darn dominant.

Shaq played against better athletes, but Wilt was more dominant in his time, for sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3609 on: June 10, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Kareem?

Man, I don't know.  Averaging 50 points per game, or scoring 100 in one contest, is pretty darn dominant.

Shaq played against better athletes, but Wilt was more dominant in his time, for sure.

Its true, and I guess to be fair in this excercize you have to go off dominance of their own time.  But what were the sizes of the guys Wilt was playing against vs the guys shaq was going against? 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #3610 on: June 10, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I will give u a preview of what i am working in

Just a preview... Caution Spoilers revealed

The Ranks I will be using

Ranks
 Academy Student ( Please dont draft again in this format)
 Academy students (忍者学校生, Akademī-sei) make up the student body of the Ninja Academy, where they are trained and prepared for life as a shinobi. They are not an actual part of the shinobi force, as they are still in the process of mastering the very basics of the ninja lifestyle. However, they can be conscripted as part of the war potential in times of emergency.

Genin ( You need to get better, but thats maybe cause youre young)
 Genin (下忍; Literally meaning "low ninja", Meaning (Viz) "junior ninja") are the lowest level of ninja and also the ones that display the most difference in power. When they become genin, ninja start to do their bit for their village's economy – being sent on missions that the village gets paid for. They are typically sent either on D-rank missions, which are almost entirely risk-free jobs of manual labour, or, rarely, on C-rank missions, which are a cut above that and begin to verge on real "ninja" work that have a very low possibility of risk to the ninja involved. When Konohagakure was short-handed on upper-level ninja because of the invasion, the village had to occasionally send genin on higher-ranked missions.

Chūnin ( Hey youre showing some signs of life)
 Chūnin (中忍; Literally meaning "Middle Ninja", Meaning (Viz) "Journeyman Ninja") are ninja who are qualified to guide other ninja and lead missions. Chūnin have reached a level of maturity and ability that primarily consists of leadership skills and tactical prowess. Genin who do not have the skills to become chūnin are weeded out in the chūnin exams. Some of them, like Iruka Umino and Daikoku Funeno move on to function as Academy teachers and others, like Shikamaru Nara, serve as team leaders in charge of small teams who need to make decisions and utilize the skills of the shinobi under their command to the maximum effect. Chūnin are typically sent on C-rank or B-rank missions.

: Jōnin
( Wow man, Good Job)

Jōnin (上忍, Jōnin; Literally meaning "High Ninja", Meaning (Viz) "Elite Ninja") are generally highly-experienced shinobi with great individual skill who serve as military captains. They are often sent on A-Rank missions, and experienced jōnin may even be sent on S-rank missions (which are considered to be the greatest difficulty). It is not unusual for jōnin to go on missions alone. Jōnin are generally able to use at least two types of elemental chakra, some genjutsu, and above average taijutsu skills.

Kage: (Man, I am Impressed)
The Kage stand equally with the rulers of their countries, oversee the activities of their villages, and are the leaders of ninja society. They typically are the ones who send the ninja teams out on their missions and make the decisions regarding the safety of the village. The five Kage are:

Sage: ( For me you almost win this whole thing)
Very few people are shown to master senjutsu

Sage of the sixth Path
Sage of the Six Paths (六道仙人, Rikudō Sennin) was the legendary figure who founded the arts of ninjutsu and created the ninja world or the best basketball team in this case.
MARN YOU ROCK!Q!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3611 on: June 10, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey

Kareem?

Its true, and I guess to be fair in this excercize you have to go off dominance of their own time.  But what were the sizes of the guys Wilt was playing against vs the guys shaq was going against? 

Also interesting question:

How many times have Shaq and Wilt had this same arguemnt?

« Reply #3612 on: June 10, 2011, 11:48:52 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I will give u a preview of what i am working in

Just a preview... Caution Spoilers revealed

The Ranks I will be using

Ranks
 Academy Student ( Please dont draft again in this format)
 Academy students (忍者学校生, Akademī-sei) make up the student body of the Ninja Academy, where they are trained and prepared for life as a shinobi. They are not an actual part of the shinobi force, as they are still in the process of mastering the very basics of the ninja lifestyle. However, they can be conscripted as part of the war potential in times of emergency.

Genin ( You need to get better, but thats maybe cause youre young)
 Genin (下忍; Literally meaning "low ninja", Meaning (Viz) "junior ninja") are the lowest level of ninja and also the ones that display the most difference in power. When they become genin, ninja start to do their bit for their village's economy – being sent on missions that the village gets paid for. They are typically sent either on D-rank missions, which are almost entirely risk-free jobs of manual labour, or, rarely, on C-rank missions, which are a cut above that and begin to verge on real "ninja" work that have a very low possibility of risk to the ninja involved. When Konohagakure was short-handed on upper-level ninja because of the invasion, the village had to occasionally send genin on higher-ranked missions.

Chūnin ( Hey youre showing some signs of life)
 Chūnin (中忍; Literally meaning "Middle Ninja", Meaning (Viz) "Journeyman Ninja") are ninja who are qualified to guide other ninja and lead missions. Chūnin have reached a level of maturity and ability that primarily consists of leadership skills and tactical prowess. Genin who do not have the skills to become chūnin are weeded out in the chūnin exams. Some of them, like Iruka Umino and Daikoku Funeno move on to function as Academy teachers and others, like Shikamaru Nara, serve as team leaders in charge of small teams who need to make decisions and utilize the skills of the shinobi under their command to the maximum effect. Chūnin are typically sent on C-rank or B-rank missions.

: Jōnin
( Wow man, Good Job)

Jōnin (上忍, Jōnin; Literally meaning "High Ninja", Meaning (Viz) "Elite Ninja") are generally highly-experienced shinobi with great individual skill who serve as military captains. They are often sent on A-Rank missions, and experienced jōnin may even be sent on S-rank missions (which are considered to be the greatest difficulty). It is not unusual for jōnin to go on missions alone. Jōnin are generally able to use at least two types of elemental chakra, some genjutsu, and above average taijutsu skills.

Kage: (Man, I am Impressed)
The Kage stand equally with the rulers of their countries, oversee the activities of their villages, and are the leaders of ninja society. They typically are the ones who send the ninja teams out on their missions and make the decisions regarding the safety of the village. The five Kage are:

Sage: ( For me you almost win this whole thing)
Very few people are shown to master senjutsu

Sage of the sixth Path
Sage of the Six Paths (六道仙人, Rikudō Sennin) was the legendary figure who founded the arts of ninjutsu and created the ninja world or the best basketball team in this case.
MARN YOU ROCK!Q!!  CONGRATULATIONS!!

Team representative Characters using Defense, Size , Speed and Things like that will be included Is a tough job so please be patiente with me
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3613 on: June 10, 2011, 11:49:12 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's also a fair point, although one could argue that Shaq didn't begin to truly dominate until the other great centers of the era became old. 

It really does make me appreciate the mid 80s through mid 90s for being an era of great centers.  Hakeem, Robinson, and Ewing were the last dominant group of centers we've seen, with Shaq being a worthy addition to that group.  Unfortunately, in my mind nobody since has even come close to that hierarchy (unless you count Duncan as a great center).

« Reply #3614 on: June 10, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Kareem?

Man, I don't know.  Averaging 50 points per game, or scoring 100 in one contest, is pretty darn dominant.

Its true, and I guess to be fair in this excercize you have to go off dominance of their own time.  But what were the sizes of the guys Wilt was playing against vs the guys shaq was going against?  

It would be like comparing Ken Griffy Jr and Babe Ruth, but assuming Babe Ruth only was being pitched to by white players who were in inferior physical condition.

I'm willing to give guys with huge numbers (Wilt, Kareem, etc..) the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not willing to compare them on a strict 1 to 1 basis.