Author Topic: Ainge: "Pierce had a better career then Wade"  (Read 4857 times)

Re: Ainge: "Pierce had a better career then Wade"
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Even by his own numbers he is really just saying Pierce was better for longer, but Wade had a higher peak.  Also a very good chance that number is skewed by Pierce playing on better teams far longer into his 30's than Wade did.

Pretty much.  I dislike Wade but he gets the edge if we are picking either player at their absolute peak.  There's no way Pierce could have ever lead a title run that is equivalent to Wade's in 2005-06.  Wade could take a team further as the clear cut best player.

While I suspect that you’re right, it’s impossible to say. In Wade’s run, he still had Shaq, who averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 60% shooting in those playoffs.

Pierce never had that inside presence or efficiency in a teammate. Could Prime Pierce have won a title with Sub-Prime Shaq? I think there’s a strong possibility.

I also maintain that Shaq's impact went beyond his numbers in his first two years in Miami. He still commanded the attention of a #1 option on any given possession.

You guys are mostly correct about Shaq.  He was still a dominant force for the first two years in Miami, including an excellent ECF against the Pistons in 2006.  The major exception to this was the NBA Finals against Dallas.  Shaq had his worst playoff series by far up to that point.  He had a negative +/- in EVERY game except for one.  For the series he was a -28. 

I think some people forget how much Wade had to carry that team through the Finals.   His usage rate was higher than any playoff series of Pierce's career.  I stand by the statement that Pierce couldn't have accomplished this under the same circumstances.

He also benefited from some very "generous" officiating.  97 FTA in a 6 game series.  25 attempts in Game 5. 

That's insane.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Even by his own numbers he is really just saying Pierce was better for longer, but Wade had a higher peak.  Also a very good chance that number is skewed by Pierce playing on better teams far longer into his 30's than Wade did.

Pretty much.  I dislike Wade but he gets the edge if we are picking either player at their absolute peak.  There's no way Pierce could have ever lead a title run that is equivalent to Wade's in 2005-06.  Wade could take a team further as the clear cut best player.

While I suspect that you’re right, it’s impossible to say. In Wade’s run, he still had Shaq, who averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 60% shooting in those playoffs.

Pierce never had that inside presence or efficiency in a teammate. Could Prime Pierce have won a title with Sub-Prime Shaq? I think there’s a strong possibility.

I also maintain that Shaq's impact went beyond his numbers in his first two years in Miami. He still commanded the attention of a #1 option on any given possession.

You guys are mostly correct about Shaq.  He was still a dominant force for the first two years in Miami, including an excellent ECF against the Pistons in 2006.  The major exception to this was the NBA Finals against Dallas.  Shaq had his worst playoff series by far up to that point.  He had a negative +/- in EVERY game except for one.  For the series he was a -28. 

I think some people forget how much Wade the refs had to carry that team through the Finals.   His usage rate was higher than any playoff series of Pierce's career.  I stand by the statement that Pierce couldn't have accomplished this under the same circumstances.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2019, 10:41:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Having Shaq and Walker is better than just having Walker. Pierce's pre-KG/Allen Cs had a couple of solid runs for a team severely lacking in talent.

I'm definitely a homer and am taking PP. Glad Ainge was able to get the numbers to work to his advantage.

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Having Shaq and Walker is better than just having Walker. Pierce's pre-KG/Allen Cs had a couple of solid runs for a team severely lacking in talent.

I'm definitely a homer and am taking PP. Glad Ainge was able to get the numbers to work to his advantage.

Yeah, it's amazing that in 2003 the Celtics third leading scorer in the playoffs was Tony Delk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Yeah, it's amazing that in 2003 the Celtics third leading scorer in the playoffs was Tony Delk.
might have been better than the 06 version of Toine that was 3rd for those Heat teams.  He was at a minimum far more efficient than Toine.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2019, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
That '02-03 squad was not a terribly good team.  They were the beneficiaries of an Isaiah Thomas coaching botch job in the 1st round.    Nets smoked 'em in the 2nd round.    That's when the reality of '01-'02 being a mirage really settled in. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for posting this.

Hated seeing PP34 getting roasted for this but the data doesn't lie.

With THAT being said I wish MIA would've made it into the playoffs. DET is getting their behinds handed to them.

At the rate they are going they won't be able to sit down very soon.

MIA would've put up a HECK of a fight.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 11:21:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
I love seeing Ainge sticking up for Pierce and bringing something to the table as well.

One of the great What Ifs in NBA history is KG's injury in '09. In terms of this debate, what happens if KG is healthy for the playoffs in '09 and fully healthy in '10 (I don't think he was fully right until '11 but by then he was 34) and that Celtic team 3-peats with Pierce winning a second Finals MVP.

The Pierce/Wade resume comparison would suddenly get a lot more interesting.

But it didn't happen.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

might have been better than the 06 version of Toine that was 3rd for those Heat teams.  He was at a minimum far more efficient than Toine.

Yeah, but the difference between Antoine vs. Shaq as the second player is huge.  It's not something that can really be quantified in traditional stats.

As I said, I lean slightly toward Wade, but it's a debate that I think is unproveable due to all the various factors.  Pierce next to a dominant big man would have been tremendous.

I definitely think that Pierce is one of the most underrated players of our era.  Let's say Pierce had been traded for Kobe, and Shaq still joined the Lakers.  How many rings are we talking about? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290

I think some people forget how much Wade had to carry that team through the Finals.   His usage rate was higher than any playoff series of Pierce's career.  I stand by the statement that Pierce couldn't have accomplished this under the same circumstances.

I know it's the Finals, and it was a fantastic performance (and I was rooting for the Heat at the time), but in the context of his career, it was really a 4-game hot streak for Wade (with a ton of FTs). So I try to keep that in context as well. Could Pierce have had 2 subpar games and then a 4-game hot streak against that Dallas team? I don't doubt it.

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Who had more J points?

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2019, 12:13:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Yeah, but the difference between Antoine vs. Shaq as the second player is huge.  It's not something that can really be quantified in traditional stats.

As I said, I lean slightly toward Wade, but it's a debate that I think is unproveable due to all the various factors.  Pierce next to a dominant big man would have been tremendous.

I definitely think that Pierce is one of the most underrated players of our era.  Let's say Pierce had been traded for Kobe, and Shaq still joined the Lakers.  How many rings are we talking about?
I don't know that Pierce and Shaq gets any more rings than Kobe and Shaq. 

Pierce was hardly ever on All NBA Teams.  He had a very long career, but the reality is even at the time he was never considered a top tier type player.  Now maybe that makes him underrated, or maybe, it just rates him about where he should have been in the Ray Allen level player i.e. a HOFer, but not a true top level player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

Pierce was hardly ever on All NBA Teams.  He had a very long career, but the reality is even at the time he was never considered a top tier type player.  Now maybe that makes him underrated, or maybe, it just rates him about where he should have been in the Ray Allen level player i.e. a HOFer, but not a true top level player.

The question is, how would Pierce have been viewed and how many All NBA teams would he have made if he was playing next to Shaq?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Who had more J points?

I'll work on that.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 01:58:36 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

I agree (reluctantly) that Kobe was a level up on Pierce. But I'd argue Shaq and Pierce win from 2000-2002 still and perhaps get along better than Shaq and Kobe did and therefore have a shot to win in 2005-2006 also (there's a lot of reaching there I know). So I guess there's the argument if you want to say Pierce would've been even better with Shaq.

I also don't think Wade was on Kobe's level either, so Pierce and Wade is more debatable than Pierce and Kobe. My memory may be faulty though.