Author Topic: Ideas Trade Smart for who  (Read 5694 times)

Ideas Trade Smart for who
« on: July 24, 2019, 03:09:59 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If we did trade Smart what could we get for him. TP for any solid idea.

Lots of options with a 12 million dollar salary. I'll throw out one.

Smart and pick for Eric Gordon. Smart may fit well next to the two ball hogs. Texas is home.

If Chris Paul is staying could go after Schroder 15 million. Or Roberson and Noel 12 million combined.

Re: Ideas Trade Smart for who
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 03:13:51 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Smart has played the best basketball of his life, this past season, all d team, a starter and a great contract, so his value is huge.

He is my favorite player right now, and i wouldn’t give him away, in a 1 for 1 deal, you can’t beat his value
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Whoever you trade him for would need to either fill the hole he leaves or fill a hole elsewhere. So either a shooting guard who can switch on defence and hit the 3 (less bothered about ball handling) or a PF who can play to the 3pt line and switch on defence.

Draymond fits into that category, Klay Thompson, Beal maybe? I think you see where I'm going with this...

He's on a high value contract, he's worth way more than he's paid. Of the guys not on rookie contracts, he is the last person we should make eligible for trades.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:28:24 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Marcus Smart for Domantas Sabonis

Indy got a glut of centers. Smart gives them a strong three guard backcourt next to Brogdon and Oladipo.

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 06:14:46 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Smart and pick for Eric Gordon. Smart may fit well next to the two ball hogs. Texas is home.

If Chris Paul is staying could go after Schroder 15 million. Or Roberson and Noel 12 million combined.

These ideas are not very good.  And I am being nice.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 06:19:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Smart for Jarrett Allen

Brooklyn has DeAndre Jordan to replace Allen as starting center. Smart had great chemistry with Kyrie Irving in Boston and they would work well again in Brooklyn.

PG - Kyrie
SG - Smart
SF - Caris LeVert, Joe Harris
PF - Kevin Durant
 C - DeAndre Jordan

Smart would be the perfect role player / glue guy to fit next to Durant and Kyrie.

Boston gets the tough interior defender & rebounder that it's scorers need next to them.

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 06:36:25 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Honestly i cannot see an allnba defemder on a great great contract who has steadily improved his offense should be traded at all.

He and brown are ideal fits next to Kemba.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 06:43:48 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

The Celtics shouldn't need to trade more than just Smart for Eric Gordon.  Gordon has certainly been a great fit for the isolation heavy offense in Houston, but he's nothing more than a high volume scorer.  He gets his fair share of ISO opportunities and spends the rest of his time standing out by the 3 point line.  My concern is that I don't see his effectiveness translating to the Celtics. 

Another issue is the fact that Gordon doesn't keep his body in great shape.  I expect his decline to accelerate quickly when it hits.  If anything, the Celtics should be getting back another asset if they are trading Smart for Gordon.

If you forced me to come up with a trade to Houston, I'd much rather get Capela in return.  Either way I'd prefer to keep Marcus in Boston.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 06:54:14 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Gallinari would be an interesting target. Presumably, Gallo has no future there because they are entering a long term rebuild. He has 1 year left on his deal and will almost certainly leave the team next summer. So it is time to cash in on him before that happens.

Gallo would be awesome in Brad Stevens' offense. Perfect fit. He has the perimeter game. The ball-handling. Good passer. Gets to the FT line. Nails 3s on a high clip at a high rate. He would also give the team more size at PF. He could be a wonderful 6th man that comes in and changes games. Changes opposing team's gameplans - because he is such a matchup problem. Allows Boston bigger lineups at forward.

Smart has that OKC connection. Ainge would probably have to give up a pick as well. Smart would be a good fit next to SGA in the backcourt. Help SGA grow. Able to play on and off the ball. Give OKC that defensive mentality that Presti values so highly.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 07:03:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Nobody.  NOBODY.  I can't think of a realistic scenario where I would trade away our best defender and defacto captain.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 07:09:54 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Gallinari would be an interesting target. Presumably, Gallo has no future there because they are entering a long term rebuild. He has 1 year left on his deal and will almost certainly leave the team next summer. So it is time to cash in on him before that happens.

Gallo would be awesome in Brad Stevens' offense. Perfect fit. He has the perimeter game. The ball-handling. Good passer. Gets to the FT line. Nails 3s on a high clip at a high rate. He would also give the team more size at PF. He could be a wonderful 6th man that comes in and changes games. Changes opposing team's gameplans - because he is such a matchup problem. Allows Boston bigger lineups at forward.

Smart has that OKC connection. Ainge would probably have to give up a pick as well. Smart would be a good fit next to SGA in the backcourt. Help SGA grow. Able to play on and off the ball. Give OKC that defensive mentality that Presti values so highly.

I feel the same way about Gallinari.  Not saying I'd want this to happen, but the Celtics could move Hayward, Langford, Semi, and RWIII for Steven Adams and Gallinari.  The deal makes complete sense for the Thunder, as it gives them a couple of young players for their rebuild and gets them out of the luxury tax (I think).  I think I'd want one of their 5 million first round picks in the deal.  OKC would likely make it lottery protected. 

The Celtics would now have a starting lineup of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Gallinari, and Adams. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:15:30 AM by Green-18 »

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 07:10:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There is nobody that I can think of that I would want to do a 1 for 1 swap with Smart for.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1761
Honestly i cannot see an allnba defemder on a great great contract who has steadily improved his offense should be traded at all.

He and brown are ideal fits next to Kemba.

I agree! 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 07:40:07 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I feel the same way about Gallinari.  Not saying I'd want this to happen, but the Celtics could move Hayward, Langford, Semi, and RWIII for Steven Adams and Gallinari.  The deal makes complete sense for the Thunder, as it gives them a couple of young players for their rebuild and gets them out of the luxury tax (I think).  I think I'd want one of their 5 million first round picks in the deal.  OKC would likely make it lottery protected. 

The Celtics would now have a starting lineup of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Gallinari, and Adams.

Makes sense for both parties imo.

I would do that deal

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Makes sense for both parties imo.

I would do that deal

I certainly wouldn't complain if the Celtics made the deal.  They would have a legitimate chance to get through the Eastern Conference.

On the flip side, my biggest worry is that they still wouldn't be good enough to contend for a title.  At that point you've traded young assets and still haven't gotten over the hump.  A return to form for Hayward also changes the equation.  At that point I think I'd rather pursue Adams in a separate package.

Either way it's a close call.