Author Topic: Tatum 2nd year analysis: "he caught a case of Kobe-itis"  (Read 1852 times)

Tatum 2nd year analysis: "he caught a case of Kobe-itis"
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:47:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://youtu.be/PhRcwVUUnCE

Watch this analysis (one of the best I've seen of tatum.)

I now truly believe that Kobes summer training really messed up his Game last season.  Hopefully it can be fixed back
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 12:07:26 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Tatum 2nd year analysis: "he caught a case of Kobe-itis"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 12:14:57 AM »

Offline slokat

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 2
Kobe-itis. That's not good. I mean, I can't imagine having muscles marbled with 70% fat is good for a basketball player.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 12:15:36 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I think it was more than just Kobe but I don’t want to disrupt the narrative.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 11:38:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Dude’s still gonna be a superstar. Color me surprised if Tatum has a bad year this year.
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 12:26:18 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Kobe, or... being one of many guys who decided to play extreme iso ball. Kyrie, Morris, Tatum, and to a lesser extent Hayward and Brown all (at times) stopped ball movement with their iso ball.

Our offense was way too undisciplined last year. Tatum's play was a product of that.

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
2nd year following a mammoth 19 year old first year in the NBA and still putting up numbers in his sophomore season as a supporting option on a team ruled by Kyrie. I am not in the least bit worried about his progression after what happened to our team last year.

He went from 13.9 to 15.7 points a game year over year. Not too shabby. He added one addition rebound per game to his total brining it to 6 and also increased assists by a half a point. Surely not the sky is falling and lets trade him now in my book.

Wouldn't it be horrible as well if Tatum became close to Kobe level and won 5 titles. We should truly dump him now before that happens- :)

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Is this an official medical diagnosis?

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Kobe, or... being one of many guys who decided to play extreme iso ball. Kyrie, Morris, Tatum, and to a lesser extent Hayward and Brown all (at times) stopped ball movement with their iso ball.

Our offense was way too undisciplined last year. Tatum's play was a product of that.

I am hoping this was the main problem, that he was a young guy that fell under the iso-ball spell of Irving and Morris. Brad’s offense is predicated on passing, but I think Tatum, and Brown to a lesser extent, knew if they passed the ball instead of shooting it, they wouldn’t see it again for 5-6 possessions.

I want to believe that an offense with more passing will have Tatum taking more efficient shots and making more of them, even though his attempts per game might only go up slightly.

A more concerted effort on defense would help too.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2237
I think a huge factor in Tatum not taking a big step last year was the looming trade for Anthony Davis.

This was alluded to a couple of times during the year, but especially after AD wasn't dealt at the deadline. Everyone knew that to get AD, we had to give up Tatum. So did Tatum.

EDIT: I think he is going to take the step up this year. He is motivated.

Ballislife.com

Verified account

@Ballislife
Follow Follow @Ballislife
More
“I’m going to average over 20. All-Star. And the Celtics are going to the championship.”

Jayson Tatum reacting to his @NBA2K Rating of 85

Here's the vid:

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1153873299438481408?s=09
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:17:43 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I think a huge factor in Tatum not taking a big step last year was the looming trade for Anthony Davis.

This was alluded to a couple of times during the year, but especially after AD wasn't dealt at the deadline. Everyone knew that to get AD, we had to give up Tatum. So did Tatum.

EDIT: I think he is going to take the step up this year. He is motivated.

Ballislife.com

Verified account

@Ballislife
Follow Follow @Ballislife
More
“I’m going to average over 20. All-Star. And the Celtics are going to the championship.”

Jayson Tatum reacting to his @NBA2K Rating of 85

Here's the vid:

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1153873299438481408?s=09

With better shot selection, he can do it. Efficiently too!

I hope CBS really features JT more this year. Definitely a 2nd option behind Kemba but not hard to imagine him scoring 20ppg and being a serious candidate for the all star team.
- LilRip

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It probably should have been reversed. 85 last season, and 87 in anticipation for this season.

I would love to see a list of young players who were considered to have star potential and whose rankings actually went down from year 2 to year 3. I'm sure the list would not really please a lot of us Celtics fans.

In the video he mentions how his stats went up and I hope he's valuing the "right" stats going forward. His stats really only crept up a tiny amount which is not what you expect from a second year player who's supposed to be a future star. The most concerning stat is his 3pt pct dropping from .434 to .373, which also lowered his overall shooting pct. If he can be back up in the .400s it would really help him regain some stock.