Author Topic: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog  (Read 5319 times)

Re: Excellent "Summer Notes" article on CelticsBlog
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2019, 01:16:58 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Tacko just might be a couple years away from being a couple years away from being anything in this league....just like that Toronto draftee that, I guess, never did get to be even that.

Bruno Caboclo played 800 minutes for Memphis last season. He began to show some pretty intriguing stuff, too. He’s a unicorn if he can keep it up; shot .369 from 3, on a good sample size (139 attempts) - while blocking shots at 3.9%.  Earned himself a contract for next year, 1.8m+.

Good length and hops, A-Plus ft shooter. 3 and D plus rim protection. Looks like he can guard up or down.

Drafted when he was 19, now 23 - so Fran Fraschilla might just have made a spot-on prediction with his immortal “two years away from being two years away” comment.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:33:17 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Yikes sounds like the C’s will offer Brown a max contract next season if they project him to be a multiple time all star.

I agree though that Tatum is a franchise player.
- LilRip

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yikes sounds like the C’s will offer Brown a max contract next season if they project him to be a multiple time all star.

I agree though that Tatum is a franchise player.
It's a pretty good projection, I for one am glad that the FO will likely tell Brad to play Brown more with how high they rate him. He'll prove a lot of doubters wrong this upcoming season imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
It's Keith Smith, take it with a grain of salt. He's an aggregator who doesn't credit original sources and posts a lot of his own opinions as if they were true. Even in this post, he writes "Observations on [insert player name]." That's his own opinion that he's putting under "sources."

He will follow up Woj and Shams tweets a few min after and say stuff like "My sources confirm that the [blah blah] trade is true." Safest stance to take when pretending like you are connected is to agree with Woj lol...

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Tacko just might be a couple years away from being a couple years away from being anything in this league....just like that Toronto draftee that, I guess, never did get to be even that.

Bruno Caboclo played 800 minutes for Memphis last season. He began to show some pretty intriguing stuff, too. He’s a unicorn if he can keep it up; shot .369 from 3, on a good sample size (139 attempts) - while blocking shots at 3.9%.  Earned himself a contract for next year, 1.8m+.

Good length and hops, A-Plus ft shooter. 3 and D plus rim protection. Looks like he can guard up or down.

Drafted when he was 19, now 23 - so Fran Fraschilla might just have made a spot-on prediction with his immortal “two years away from being two years away” comment.

The funny thing about that famous quote is that many players, if not most, enter the NBA "two years away from being two years away," in the sense that they don't become valuable and reliable contributors until they are at the end of their rookie deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2019, 12:42:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, let's face it, Caboclo, did nothing for 4 years and only was brought in by Memphis in his fifth year because Memphis went into tank mode after all their injuries, traded away good players and bought in absolute scrubs, Caboclo being one.

Caboclo got those minutes last year because Memphis was trying to lose. That a 23 year old, 5 year vet still had to go to Summer League to earn a contract on what will be amongst the worst teams in the league that will be tanking hard to get a top 6 pick next year and keep their pick, doesn't paint a rosy picture on Caboclo's current abilities.

But this thread isn't about him so back to the Celtics players mentioned in the article.

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Poirier’s defense being hyped
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:50:46 PM by rondofan1255 »

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Well, let's face it, Caboclo, did nothing for 4 years ...

Except, apparently, work on his game.

Caboclo got those minutes last year because Memphis was trying to lose.

There's a partial truth to this. But management cannot tell coaches and players to deliberately lose; in particular, players are playing for their future and have only incentives to excel.

The opportunity opened up for him because of management decisions, but the point is that:  he made the most of his opportunity. I expect that his ability to make contested 3's got their attention, as did his ability to both guard small forwards and protect the rim.  We'll see next season if he can carve out a space for himself - he's in an ideal situation to do that, even after they drafted Brandon Clarke.

That a 23 year old, 5 year vet still had to go to Summer League to earn a contract on what will be amongst the worst teams in the league that will be tanking hard to get a top 6 pick next year and keep their pick, doesn't paint a rosy picture on Caboclo's current abilities.

No, that is incorrect. Bruno was signed to two 10-days last year. At the end of the second, Memphis needed to either sign him for the rest of the season or let him go. They not only signed him for the rest of last season, they gave him a contract for the upcoming season as well. He made good use of his rotation minutes (I mentioned a few of the highlights above).

In Summer League he wasn't auditioning, he already had guaranteed money.  He was working on his skills in a 5-on-5 situation, in particular it looked like he worked on shooting from the right side of the floor and attacking close-outs with the dribble. He's got some left hand, it looks like, and he was a pretty good finisher last year.  He really extends, good shoulders as well as spring (helps with the shot-blocking, too).

Anyway, all you've done is infer his supposed current abilities indirectly from what you think the team situation is, however "rosy", rather than directly from what he actually does on the court.  I guess I can't blame a Celtics fan for not paying attention to a Western Conference non-playoff team after the trade deadline, but it obviously weakens your argument.

But this thread isn't about him so back to the Celtics players mentioned in the article.

Excellent suggestion!

The comments on Robert Williams were especially interesting:

· Celtics coach on Williams’ play in Vegas: “He was good. Not dominant, but good. He was under control as a defender. His rebounding was better than ever. Offense is coming. Work in progress.”

· Team executive on Williams’ development: “We knew he was a project when we drafted him, but a worthy one. Sometimes a project gets tossed early, but Robert is a guy we’ll go the distance with. Word of warning: Don’t put too much on this kid too early. We signed a lot of bigs for a reason.”

· Team executive on the draft as a whole: ... "Then we got a guy everyone loved in Grant (Williams). He inexplicably dropped just like Robert Williams did and we win for that."

Regarding "offense is coming" - In particular he was looking to pass out of the paint, and he had some success finding cutters and spot-ups.

Regarding "under control as a defender" - yes, though he went after blocks that he didn't have a good chance at, on occasion, that left him out of rebounding position.

Regarding "Robert is a guy we'll go the distance with." - okay, wow, not sure what 'going the distance' means here... I've noticed that some people are predicting only spot minutes for Robert, but it certainly sounds like management has got some high hopes for him. Given that, I guess that it wouldn't surprise me if he were getting rotation minutes by the All-Star Break; let's call that my prediction.

I'm more optimistic about his future after seeing him in Summer League. He's done some good work on his lower body; last year I was cringing at the way he'd land with flexed knees, setting himself up for quadriceps tendinitis or worse - and the Popliteal Artery Impingement Syndrome can't have been helped by all the strain he was putting into his knees. That PAIS hasn't gone away, we may assume; could be that he'll become a starter-quality big who can only play 60 games a year. Then again, maybe the work he's done on his legs will not only improve his performance but solve the PAIS as well. Let us hope!

Anyway I think that he's much improved, and really liked the movement I saw.

The author's comments on Carsen Edwards, I thought, were a little off.

· Observations on Carsen Edwards: .... Defensively he’s competitive, but his size hurts him there. Probably need to match him with good defenders around him.

First of all, he isn't all THAT small. I see him listed at 6'1" 200, substantially heavier than Kemba, for example.  He's got excellent lower body strength and is built like the proverbial fireplug. Having watched him in Vegas I'm surprised that he hadn't made a greater impression as a defender on the author (Keith Smith); he's got great laterals and anticipation, gets up in his man, and he has a ferocity about it that will endear him to his coaches and teammates alike.

The departure of Terry Rozier opens up a role for Carsen; maybe he can produce points more efficiently than Terry did (good likelihood, I'd say) - and create good shots (ditto). One underappreciated trait of Rozier was that he had exceptionally low turnover rates; if Edwards can match that, or even come close, Boston really has something. Rozier was in the G-League a lot in his rookie year; I'm betting that Carsen is not there nearly as much.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:05:05 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021