3 (3.4%)
Grant Williams
13 (14.6%)
Gordon Hayward
65 (73%)
Daniel Theis
8 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Author Topic: Poll: Who should be the starting PF  (Read 15300 times)

Re: Poll: Who should be the starting PF
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2019, 05:02:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I don't know why this is a question, it's Tatum.

Who started as power forward for the last two seasons? Tatum

He projects to be what Carmelo should have been; a long, athetic, strong, shooting power forward who can switch.

Perhaps for certain match ups you may need a bigger body but for the majority of the season it is Tatum.
Yep, TP!

The obvious answer is Tatum, yet his name isn't even mentioned in the poll. Go figure.

Okay I'll admit last few posters are right.

Problem is Tatum is the franchise right now. Why would you play the best prospect since Pierce out of position?

Al Horford just walked in large part because he was tired of playing out of position at Center.

Why do the same to the franchise

This is why everybody like you KGLL - you absorb other points of view while also making solid points of your own.

I agree that Tatum is probably not your prototypical PF, but he is our best option right now. We can only hope/assume that he has gained some weight/length from his combine measurements and that he is seriously ready to take on more responsibility.

Not to worry, though. Tatum will see plenty of time at SF, as well - maybe just not at the beginning and end of games.

TP bro. I appreciate that.

In fairness, I'm not sure PF is out of position for Tatum. If anything I think it might actually be advantageous for him. 

I feel that when he plays the PF spot he seems to have a major offensive advantage due to his superior quickness, ball handling and perimeter game. Most NBA PF's just cannot guard him on the perimeter or off the dribble.  Yet he has good length and quick hands, which allows him to hold his own against most NBA PFs on the defensive end.

By comparison put him at the SF spot and I think he loses some of those matchup advantages, even if the position might technically be a closer match for his skill set.
Maybe, sounds theoretical not actual.  Tatum does have an advantage in height at the SF position which means he can shoot over people.

Just going off what I've seen with my own eyes, I don't have any objective stats or data to back it.

But in his rookie season he seemed to spend more time at the starting PF spot and he seemed to really excel there.  In his second year Morris started much of the year at PF which moved Tatum to SF much of the time, and he just didn't seem to have the same type of advantage he had in year one.

It may not have been for that reason, but I just know from the eye test alone he seemed to torch a lot of big men on offense, whereas he didn't seem to have his way as easily against longer / quicker wings.

I may well be 100% wrong and the data may totally disprove that, it's just how things looked to me when I watched.
I'm not sure what you're on about, Tatum mainly started at SF aside from game 1 when smallballsBrad started Hayward at SF. In fact our main playoff lineup in that amazing run of his was Rozier/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes, with Morris coming in for Baynes to pair with Horford in the frontcourt against smaller lineups. His ability to shoot over SFs was his bread and butter, rather than blowing by PFs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2019, 08:14:04 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I still believe that team needs a high energy defensive bigman who can swat shots and gobble rebounds.

But based on what we currently have there is only one lineup that really makes sense.

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Kanter

Kemba and Tatum are the scorers and closers. 1a and 1b.
Brown is the secondary scorer and secondary defender
Smart is primary defender
Kanter is inside presence and rebounder

We know that Smart played his best basketball next to a guy who plays like kemba. And we know that Kanter and Kemba are not the best defenders so its a must to have Smart and Brown in the lineup to cover for kemba and to prevent wing blowbys which would leave Kanter on an island.

Tatum needs to bloom and grow and in Brads 3 wing lineup it makes the most sense to have him at the PF spot.

Hayward comes off the bench as a super 6th man, helping the younger players be able to keep in line.
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Porier

« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2019, 09:06:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I still believe that team needs a high energy defensive bigman who can swat shots and gobble rebounds.

But based on what we currently have there is only one lineup that really makes sense.

Kemba
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Kanter

Kemba and Tatum are the scorers and closers. 1a and 1b.
Brown is the secondary scorer and secondary defender
Smart is primary defender
Kanter is inside presence and rebounder

We know that Smart played his best basketball next to a guy who plays like kemba. And we know that Kanter and Kemba are not the best defenders so its a must to have Smart and Brown in the lineup to cover for kemba and to prevent wing blowbys which would leave Kanter on an island.

Tatum needs to bloom and grow and in Brads 3 wing lineup it makes the most sense to have him at the PF spot.

Hayward comes off the bench as a super 6th man, helping the younger players be able to keep in line.
Edwards
Langford
Hayward
Williams
Porier
If Smart returns to his 230 pound form I'm all in for it. He was insane back then-dude shut down PFs like prime Millsap.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2019, 01:17:56 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
One player to keep an eye on is Kevin Love.

If Love ends up having a successful stint with Team USA at the World Cup, the Celts might trade for Love.

When the Celts had Al Horford, Kevin Love was not a good fit for the Celts.
But right now, Celts need a veteran PF who can rebound and score.

Love is the answer?

« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2019, 01:25:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

If Love ends up having a successful stint with Team USA at the World Cup, the Celts might trade for Love.

Love is the answer?
Could be, although we need to send matching salary.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2019, 01:36:28 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Love is the answer?
If he could get on the court he might be viable. But I think he's too fragile
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2019, 01:59:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

He projects to be what Carmelo should have been; a long, athetic, strong, shooting power forward who can switch.

Perhaps for certain match ups you may need a bigger body but for the majority of the season it is Tatum.
Yep, TP!

The obvious answer is Tatum, yet his name isn't even mentioned in the poll. Go figure.

Problem is Tatum is the franchise right now. Why would you play the best prospect since Pierce out of position?

Al Horford just walked in large part because he was tired of playing out of position at Center.

This is why everybody like you KGLL - you absorb other points of view while also making solid points of your own.

I agree that Tatum is probably not your prototypical PF, but he is our best option right now. We can only hope/assume that he has gained some weight/length from his combine measurements and that he is seriously ready to take on more responsibility.

Not to worry, though. Tatum will see plenty of time at SF, as well - maybe just not at the beginning and end of games.
From his latest social media posts he seems to have lost a bit of weight compared to last season lol.

I remember EVERY. SINGLE. OFFSEASON we all used to salivate at photos of Sully looking "slim and cut"

Hehehehe...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2019, 02:02:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yep, TP!

From his latest social media posts he seems to have lost a bit of weight compared to last season lol.

I remember EVERY. SINGLE. OFFSEASON we all used to salivate at photos of Sully looking "slim and cut"

Hehehehe...
Man I wish Tatum could put on weight like that lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2019, 03:10:46 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

Love is the answer?
Could be, although we need to send matching salary.

Boston would have to trade Hayward for Love. Love might be a better fit basketball-wise, but his contract is twice as long.