Author Topic: Basketball reading  (Read 4845 times)

Basketball reading
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »

Offline umpacu

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 28
Hi guys!

I'm learning the english language and I think a good way to do it it's reading about the sport I love the most. So, basically I'm starting this thread to know what are the books you recommend.

So far, the only book I've read is "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons, and I really enjoyed it. Has anyone read it? What do you think?

By the way, the books can be Celtics related or not (even fictional stories are welcome too).

Shoot!

Re: Basketball reading
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:39 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I'm a tad late, but The Last Banner: The Story of the 1985-86 Celtics and the NBA's Greatest Team of All Time by Peter May is a good overview of that season and has the advantage of having used lots of interviews. May has also written a book on The Big Three but I haven't read this one.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Hi guys!

I'm learning the english language and I think a good way to do it it's reading about the sport I love the most. So, basically I'm starting this thread to know what are the books you recommend.

So far, the only book I've read is "The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons, and I really enjoyed it. Has anyone read it? What do you think?

By the way, the books can be Celtics related or not (even fictional stories are welcome too).

Shoot!

The Book of Basketball is good. I personally don’t find Simmons to be super knowledgeable, but he put a lot of work into the book and it’s fun to read, and makes you think about if you agree with his pyramid rankings.

Thanks for starting this thread because I’d like to get some recs as well for basketball books, and not just Celtics. I’ll make one rec, a book of stories about the ABA, the wild Wild West basketball league:

Loose Balls by Terry Pluto
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
"The Breaks of the Game" is the gold standard of basketball books, IMO.  A must read.  It's actually about the Portland Trailblazers but is such an awesome glimpse into professional basketball.

Another one I really enjoyed was "Tipoff: How the 1984 NBA Draft Changed Basketball Forever" by Filip Bondy.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:29 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
"The Breaks of the Game" is the gold standard of basketball books, IMO.  A must read.  It's actually about the Portland Trailblazers but is such an awesome glimpse into professional basketball.

Another one I really enjoyed was "Tipoff: How the 1984 NBA Draft Changed Basketball Forever" by Filip Bondy.

Yes, I've heard this about Breaks of the Game.  Halberstam book about the Walton Blazers?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yes, I've heard this about Breaks of the Game.  Halberstam book about the Walton Blazers?

Yes.  Late '70s Blazers.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I recommend Jackie MacMullan's When the Game Was Ours, about Bird and Magic; and Let Me Tell You a Story, a John Feinstein book about Red Auerbach.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis