Author Topic: 2022 Draft  (Read 35918 times)

Re: 2022 Draft
« Reply #180 on: June 21, 2022, 06:04:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics will draft a oversea guy to stash
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #181 on: June 21, 2022, 06:30:45 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Are there a lot of guys that look like NBA players in the 2nd round or are some of you guys just really hoping so and it's clouding your judgement?

I read in these draft threads every single year about the draft depth and the talent available in the 2nd, and yet when looked at years later, it's pretty consistent that there are some players, but a whole bunch never get to play an NBA minute and most of the rest are just guys that litter the 14th -17th spots on rosters for a few years before their careers end.

Most of the 2nd round is still looking for a needle in a haystack

It's deffinetly a needle in a haystack but there are needles. This draft I think has more possible needles due to that extra year of eligibility from covid. Collage to pros is also a big jump and there are only so many spots and so many chances to show what you can do in the NBA. I also think that fit is a huge factor in some of these guys making it on a roster or just never playing. With Ime if you can't defend at an NBA level you won't play. If we draft a guy who can't pick up our defense quickly he'll just be glue to the bench.

« Reply #182 on: June 21, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Are there a lot of guys that look like NBA players in the 2nd round or are some of you guys just really hoping so and it's clouding your judgement?

I read in these draft threads every single year about the draft depth and the talent available in the 2nd, and yet when looked at years later, it's pretty consistent that there are some players, but a whole bunch never get to play an NBA minute and most of the rest are just guys that litter the 14th -17th spots on rosters for a few years before their careers end.

Most of the 2nd round is still looking for a needle in a haystack
I think with Covid disrupted years the 2nd round is more valuable than it usually is. This was evident in the 2021 draft, with many 2nd rounders playing a lot (Jones, Dosunmu, Wiggins, Boston, Sims, Brown III, Banton, Garza).

I view this draft similarly. Guys have had key developmental years scrambled, making scouting a bit more all over the place.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #183 on: June 21, 2022, 06:31:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Celtics will draft a oversea guy to stash

It should be that or an older role play type guy. There are a lot of interesting guys in this draft that are good fits.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 06:37:25 PM by liam »

« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2022, 07:04:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
For me, with the draft nearing, there are three guys that could all be available in our range who I think would be the best options. Jaylin Williams is a guy I'm really high on, but I doubt he lasts past 35 realistically.

Those three guys are Justin Lewis out of Marquette, Jabari Walker of Colorado, and Vince Williams from VCU.

Lewis would be my number 1 target, but he's been climbing in some recent mocks which is not ideal for us. He's a big, powerful wing who could likely even chip in as a small 5 in the modern NBA with how long he is (7'2.5" wingspan, 240lbs at least). Improving as a shooter, rebounds well and plays good, versatile defence.

Jabari Walker is one of the supreme rebounders in college basketball. Never-ending motor, decent size for an NBA 4 man with the defensive versatility to stick on the perimeter. Still only just 19 after two seasons at Colorado, is efficient inside the arc and has the ability to catch fire from deep.

Vince Williams is one of those younger seniors (21 on draft night), who looks ready-made for the NBA. 7 foot wingspan and good defensive instincts allow for heady team defence and the ability to switch 1-3 at least. He's loved by advanced defensive metrics (similar to Herb Jones) and is a fantastic finisher at the rim (68%!). He's a good shooter, good passer, and has a strong motor.

These 3 are my 3 targets. So, knowing this, I fully expect all to be picked by the time it's our turn.

« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2022, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
For me, with the draft nearing, there are three guys that could all be available in our range who I think would be the best options. Jaylin Williams is a guy I'm really high on, but I doubt he lasts past 35 realistically.

Those three guys are Justin Lewis out of Marquette, Jabari Walker of Colorado, and Vince Williams from VCU.

Lewis would be my number 1 target, but he's been climbing in some recent mocks which is not ideal for us. He's a big, powerful wing who could likely even chip in as a small 5 in the modern NBA with how long he is (7'2.5" wingspan, 240lbs at least). Improving as a shooter, rebounds well and plays good, versatile defence.

Jabari Walker is one of the supreme rebounders in college basketball. Never-ending motor, decent size for an NBA 4 man with the defensive versatility to stick on the perimeter. Still only just 19 after two seasons at Colorado, is efficient inside the arc and has the ability to catch fire from deep.

Vince Williams is one of those younger seniors (21 on draft night), who looks ready-made for the NBA. 7 foot wingspan and good defensive instincts allow for heady team defence and the ability to switch 1-3 at least. He's loved by advanced defensive metrics (similar to Herb Jones) and is a fantastic finisher at the rim (68%!). He's a good shooter, good passer, and has a strong motor.

These 3 are my 3 targets. So, knowing this, I fully expect all to be picked by the time it's our turn.

You're giving away all the sleepers to other teams!!!  ;) Williams would be a good pick for us. I just checked out John Butler and I think if you look at him as a 7 foot guard more than a big he might be worth a look. He's freakishly thin.

« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2022, 07:19:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I usually zero in on a handful of guys for the draft but this year was so exciting and we traded the pick that I haven't watched enough game film or even highlights. We probably won't even keep that second let alone move up but it's an interesting draft.

« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2022, 07:22:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You're giving away all the sleepers to other teams!!!  ;) Williams would be a good pick for us. I just checked out John Butler and I think if you look at him as a 7 foot guard more than a big he might be worth a look. He's freakishly thin.
He is such a strange prospect. Never seen a 7'1 guy under 200lbs in college ball in the modern game. If he can even get up to 210-220 I think he could be a rotation player one day - shooting the three well at that height is always intriguing.

Defensively I think he would need to find the perfect system to succeed.

« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He is such a strange prospect. Never seen a 7'1 guy under 200lbs in college ball in the modern game. If he can even get up to 210-220 I think he could be a rotation player one day - shooting the three well at that height is always intriguing.

Yeah, he's a very unique player he looks like he can guard guards, not NBA guards but he moves his feet well. If he can get up to 210 and remain as quick he might be a steal. I would love to see a lineup with Butler, TIMELORD, AL, Jaylen, and Tatum... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buK8sp5vlOw

If OKC or ORL don't grab him, I'd nab him at 53.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxuomNbSQwA
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 07:43:54 PM by liam »

« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2022, 08:19:38 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

The Celtics actually play the perfect system for Butler.

Rob’s current role often sees him defending what ever wing is spotting up in the corner. From that defensive spot rob is able to use his elite length and foot speed to close out to the paint and also close out on his man. This could be the idea role for Butler, able to both switch in the perimeter and play the rob corner defender rim protector.

I feel Nzosa would also be a great fit in that role.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2022, 08:22:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Rob’s current role often sees him defending what ever wing is spotting up in the corner. From that defensive spot rob is able to use his elite length and foot speed to close out to the paint and also close out on his man. This could be the idea role for Butler, able to both switch in the perimeter and play the rob corner defender rim protector.

TIMELORD is a big. I think Butler is a wing. I'd take a swing on Butler though. We have a lot of roster space.

« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2022, 08:35:17 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

TIMELORD is a big. I think Butler is a wing. I'd take a swing on Butler though. We have a lot of roster space.

In Ime system Rob was often defending wings. Tucker vs Bucks, Wiggins vs GS. Butler could play that same role.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #192 on: June 21, 2022, 08:39:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The more I watch film on him including the combine, the more I say we grab Butler at 53. He's a physical freak with skill.

« Reply #193 on: June 21, 2022, 08:42:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

In Ime system Rob was often defending wings. Tucker vs Bucks, Wiggins vs GS. Butler could play that same role.

TIMELORD can switch onto bigs but Butler just couldn't. It's still a good problem to have with both on the court. Butler has that shot that stretches the floor but at this point, he's probably not strong enough to really guard an NBA player even a small forward. I'd still grab him at 53. I'd love to see him in summer league.

« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2022, 01:55:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm seeing multiple mocks having us picking Gabriele Procida. I would be very happy with this pick. This kid looks like a high end draft and stash pick.