Author Topic: are the Lakers tanking?  (Read 5551 times)

Re: are the Lakers tanking?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 07:07:12 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Lakers are awful but think they get #1..NBA will help James
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 09:51:47 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Lebron's impact = 2,8% better regular season from the year before.
That's a mark of a true leader that makes his teams better.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 10:28:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Their record with LeBron in the lineup was above .500 before the LeBron got hurt. The Lakers were a good team until he got hurt.

Let's see what that W-L record was. I can't remember it exactly but it was a good mark. They are 24-24 (.500) total with LeBron on the floor. In the 14 games since he returned from injury, the Lakers have won only 4 games. So their W-L with LeBron in the team was 20 wins and 14 losses (.588) prior to his injury.

If not for the injury, I think LAL would have finished up as a 45 win level team.

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Their record with LeBron in the lineup was above .500 before the LeBron got hurt. The Lakers were a good team until he got hurt.

Let's see what that W-L record was. I can't remember it exactly but it was a good mark. They are 24-24 (.500) total with LeBron on the floor. In the 14 games since he returned from injury, the Lakers have won only 4 games. So their W-L with LeBron in the team was 20 wins and 14 losses prior to his injury.
I don't expect guys in year 16-17 to play 100% of games and go without any injuries.
If it happens it is a miracle, not an expected value.
However these numbers go, I see that 2,8 % improvement as the factual bottom line.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Let's see what that W-L record was. I can't remember it exactly but it was a good mark. They are 24-24 (.500) total with LeBron on the floor. In the 14 games since he returned from injury, the Lakers have won only 4 games. So their W-L with LeBron in the team was 20 wins and 14 losses (.588) prior to his injury.

If not for the injury, I think LAL would have finished up as a 45 win level team.
They were the 4 seed when he got hurt.  Aside from James though, they've had a lot of injuries.  Ingram, Ball, and Rondo have all missed a ton of games as well.  They've all missed at least 14 games (and Ball and Ingram are done for the year now).  That is a lot of lost time to 4 of the 5 most important players on that team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Well, they're not not tanking.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Tanking is when you are deliberately losing.
They are just plain bad.
So no, Lakers are not tanking.

They are deliberately shutting down players and have put Lebron on a minutes restriction when it's not needed.

By doing that, Lakers will end up being plain bad.

That's still tanking.

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 12:09:24 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

They were the 4 seed when he got hurt.  Aside from James though, they've had a lot of injuries.  Ingram, Ball, and Rondo have all missed a ton of games as well.  They've all missed at least 14 games (and Ball and Ingram are done for the year now).  That is a lot of lost time to 4 of the 5 most important players on that team.

Injuries are just an excuse. The Lakers have been worse since Lebron came back than they were when he was injured.

The primary reason for that is because Lebron and his agent threw a giant chemistry bomb into the locker room.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Injuries are just an excuse. The Lakers have been worse since Lebron came back than they were when he was injured.

The primary reason for that is because Lebron and his agent threw a giant chemistry bomb into the locker room.
maybe maybe not.  Ball has been out since just before James came back and Ball's defense has been very badly missed.  They are just 5-14 since Ball went down, because, in large part, without Ball they have no one playing defense in the backcourt. 

And for the record the Lakers were 6-12 without James and are 4-10 with him since he came back, so not all that much different record wise.  They are 25-22 in Ball's games and 25-20 in the games Ball has started.  They really do badly miss him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2019, 01:25:21 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Tanking is when you are deliberately losing.
They are just plain bad.
So no, Lakers are not tanking.

They are deliberately shutting down players and have put Lebron on a minutes restriction when it's not needed.

By doing that, Lakers will end up being plain bad.

That's still tanking.

Deliberately?

So you think if they were in contention they would run Ingram back out there?

To be honest, no clue what’s going on with Ball’s ankle but with that family you just never know what’s really happening.

I don’t get why they would run LeBron out there for 36+mpg when it won’t make a difference. Even with him they are not a good team. He’s 34-years-old and has more mileage than any player his age in the history of the sport.

I think they are waving the white flag. If that’s “tanking,” sure.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

maybe maybe not.  Ball has been out since just before James came back and Ball's defense has been very badly missed.  They are just 5-14 since Ball went down, because, in large part, without Ball they have no one playing defense in the backcourt. 

And for the record the Lakers were 6-12 without James and are 4-10 with him since he came back, so not all that much different record wise.  They are 25-22 in Ball's games and 25-20 in the games Ball has started.  They really do badly miss him.

By extension, aren’t you arguing that Lonzo Ball is more important to the Lakers than Lebron?

I don’t buy it. They’re not losing because Ball is out. They’re losing because the locker room was destroyed by their alleged team leader.

I will grant you that nobody on that team even pretends to play defense, though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 01:38:44 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

Yes but not only bc

They were barely on the cusp to make the playoffs regardless

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think this year is the first time we have seen the issues Lebron causes off the court (being a poor leader, creating drama, applying pressure on the coach) have outweighed the value he has provided on it. I certainly did not expect to see this happen for a few more years.

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Last year 35-47 .427
This year 30-36 .455

By extension, aren’t you arguing that Lonzo Ball is more important to the Lakers than Lebron?

I don’t buy it. They’re not losing because Ball is out. They’re losing because the locker room was destroyed by their alleged team leader.

I will grant you that nobody on that team even pretends to play defense, though.

It is crazy if we are getting to the point where people believe lonzo ball is more important than Lebron. Has lebron's defense gotten that bad?

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I stated last off-season Lebron should sign with New Orleans as free agent.

Bet he regrets not listening to me.