Author Topic: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention  (Read 31211 times)

Re: GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015 Constitutional Convention
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 07:14:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Someone asked when the rookie draft was going to be.

Per our current constitution it will be in mid-Sept.

We'll vote on a constitutional amendment though to move it (permanently to mid-Aug). If the amendment passes (though it'll need a 11 YES votes) we'll do it the week of Aug. 17

I'm down for moving the draft, but I don't think we should do it this year - trying to get the information out in a week or so is bound to cause fights.  Some owners may be on vacation or just not checking the site/their email at this time of year.

Yeah, I agree with this. I thought the proposal was to move it starting next year. I didn't realize we meant this year. It's a bit late imo to move it up a month at this point. It would, of course, be in my favor to move it up this year, so that my pending trades can become official sooner, but I don't think its fair to those GMs who may not be around and/or prepared in time for mid-august.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
That's a good point

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Someone asked when the rookie draft was going to be.

Per our current constitution it will be in mid-Sept.

We'll vote on a constitutional amendment though to move it (permanently to mid-Aug). If the amendment passes (though it'll need a 11 YES votes) we'll do it the week of Aug. 17

I'm down for moving the draft, but I don't think we should do it this year - trying to get the information out in a week or so is bound to cause fights.  Some owners may be on vacation or just not checking the site/their email at this time of year.

I can see ur point. my thinking was that for it to even matter it'd need at least 11 yes votes. but i agree that w/o all 20 gms on board someone would get potentially messed over. we can shade towards first week in Sept perhaps.

really my fault for not getting the constitutional convention going sooner. May/June/July are just brutal for me workwise.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 09:04:17 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
There's not been a whole lot of discussion -- i hope that's just folks feeling like things are running smoothly.

I'll be keeping this open for a few more days (till Aug. 12) but if there's no additional amendments we'll move on to voting (which I'll leave open Aug. 13-16) then scheduling the rookie draft.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 09:13:19 AM by Gainesville Celtic »

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »

• Rajon Rondo
These amendments have been proposed, discussed and seconded and will therefore be voted on Aug. 14-17 via Doodle.com

additions in bold italic red
deletions are bold and struckthrough

Constitutional Amendment #1
Move the rookie draft from mid-Sept. to mid-Aug. (Revised article)
-------------------------------
11. The league will hold a rookie draft each season in mid-September August.

Proposed by Gainesville Celtic, seconded by Yall Hate

Constitutional Amendment #2
Revised vote totals needed for amendments
-------------------------------
10. A majority vote from the 20 GMs (e.g., 11 or more) is required to amend any league rule. A quorum of 15 votes (including abstentions) is necessary for any amendment to pass.

Proposed by Gainesville Celtic, seconded by Yall Hate

For anyone who missed it these 2 amendments have been proposed and seconded and will be voted on later this week.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
There's not been a whole lot of discussion -- i hope that's just folks feeling like things are running smoothly.

I'll be keeping this open for a few more days (till Aug. 12) but if there's no additional amendments we'll move on to voting (which I'll leave open Aug. 13-16) then scheduling the rookie draft.

Well, in the interest of promoting discussion, I'll throw out some proposals.

To further discourage tanking and reward striving middle-of-the-pack managers, replace the current lottery system, which is hand-cuffed to the NBA lottery, with an even odds lottery for the top 3 picks or top 5 picks?

Replace the Utility roster spot with an inactive spot? I've made similar suggestions in seasons past, but never to enough support. I continue to believe this would help offset the current cost of drafting foreign prospects and somewhat mitigate serious injuries without further depleting the FA talent pool. It would also create more line-up decisions week to week, reward shrewd management.

Increase the number of playoff roster moves allowed from one per week to two per week? Actually, at a glance, I don't see this laid out in the league constitution. We originally allowed unlimited playoff roster moves and I continue to think a better balance could be struck.

Formalize a shortened "review by commissioner" period for draft day deals involving draft picks and trades made at the cut down deadline? Some may remember me briefly quitting in a huff a couple of summers back when a trade of mine was overturned on a timing issue.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:39:58 PM by The Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Oh, and this is entirely dependent on Yahoo, but if possible, I'm in favor of combining the two Fantasy weeks badly abbreviated by the longer All Star break.

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Oh, and this is entirely dependent on Yahoo, but if possible, I'm in favor of combining the two Fantasy weeks badly abbreviated by the longer All Star break.

This need not be voted on -- it will be done (manually by me) this season. I checked at the end of last season and saw that I could have, if i'd realized it, chagned it in the start of the season.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie

This need not be voted on -- it will be done (manually by me) this season. I checked at the end of last season and saw that I could have, if I'd realized it, changed it in the start of the season.

Thanks champ. Lucky left the right guy in charge.

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 03:39:15 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Another proposed amendment.

Stretch the draft out over two days? This would allow for more draft day dealing/position jockeying, and would be a boon to the bonehead that invariably misses the first round. Somebody does every year.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
Quote from: The Walker Wiggle link=topic=80165.msg1943730#msg1943730
Replace the Utility roster spot with an inactive spot? I've made similar suggestions in seasons past, but never to enough support. I continue to believe this would help offset the current cost of drafting foreign prospects and somewhat mitigate serious injuries without further depleting the FA talent pool. It would also create more line-up decisions week to week, reward shrewd management.

I would be in favor of adding an additional inactive roster spot (on Y! and/or the google sheets) for an INJ or drafted INTL player playing over seas. We can call it that "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" rule.

Increase the number of playoff roster moves allowed from one per week to two per week? Actually, at a glance, I don't see this laid out in the league constitution. We originally allowed unlimited playoff roster moves and I continue to think a better balance could be struck.

Second.

Formalize a shortened "review by commissioner" period for draft day deals involving draft picks and trades made at the cut down deadline? Some may remember me briefly quitting in a huff a couple of summers back when a trade of mine was overturned on a timing issue.

Second.

Stretch the draft out over two days? This would allow for more draft day dealing/position jockeying, and would be a boon to the bonehead that invariably misses the first round. Somebody does every year.

Second.

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

I would be in favor of adding an additional inactive roster spot (on Y! and/or the google sheets) for an INJ or drafted INTL player playing over seas. We can call it that "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" rule.

I strongly dislike this proposal (and not because I slogged through carrying Mirotic in past seasons --- and got a kick out of posting "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" for what seems like 2 years straight).

I think drafting/holding/adding an overseas player/injured player is one of those "tough" decisions owners have to make.  In one of the leagues, can't remember which one, I got Mirotic relatively cheaply from an owner because he didn't want to devote a roster spot.  I accepted the harm to my roster for the long term benefit. 

Additionally, those unsigned euro's typically provide some intrigue/interest in those top waiver spots when they are unowned and coming into the free agent pool. Sometimes those work out. Sometimes they don't (think I used #1 or #2 on Alexey Shved --- lol).

Finally, the inclusion of "inj" further depletes the already weak free agent pool. 

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

I strongly dislike this proposal (and not because I slogged through carrying Mirotic in past seasons --- and got a kick out of posting "Mirotic is my empty roster spot" for what seems like 2 years straight).

I think drafting/holding/adding an overseas player/injured player is one of those "tough" decisions owners have to make.  In one of the leagues, can't remember which one, I got Mirotic relatively cheaply from an owner because he didn't want to devote a roster spot.  I accepted the harm to my roster for the long term benefit. 

Additionally, those unsigned euro's typically provide some intrigue/interest in those top waiver spots when they are unowned and coming into the free agent pool. Sometimes those work out. Sometimes they don't (think I used #1 or #2 on Alexey Shved --- lol).

Finally, the inclusion of "inj" further depletes the already weak free agent pool.

I'm generally in agreement with YH on this one.

As this has come up before, I wonder if we need to make a 2 years then wait 2 years rule --- an amendment could be broucght up 2 years in a row, but if it fails, it must then wait 2 years to be submitted again.

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

• Rajon Rondo
Another proposed amendment.

FWIW we didn't have any missed picks in the first round last year and only the ill-fated Jahyovanone pick missed in the first 38 picks.

While i like this in theory (as a draft nerd), I'm fearful that practically (as commish) that we'd actaully have MORE missed picks in the 2nd round as an unintended consequence.

We'll see what other folks think...

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »

• Rajon Rondo

Second.

Mk

That was a certain, now-gone, GM not letting things go.

IIRC we misinterpreted the rule/application at that point.

thank goodness it didn't cost us THE walker wiggle.

--------------

Adding clarity to the constitution is good -- but the process in Yahoo! is the guiding principle per Article 9 & 23:

9. For any rule not covered in this constitution, the default Yahoo! rules will apply...

23. In-season trades shall have a 1 day approval period, to allow league GMs to review and exercise veto, if necessary. One-third of league GMs exercising veto power (e.g., at least 7) are required to overturn any trade.

Trades made on the Yahoo! deadline are still subject to a veto vote and are processed a day or two later. they DON'T need to be cleared through that process on the deadline day.

Trades made on cutdown day are no different (despite what that now-gone GM argued then). They can be consumated on that day --- if they're vetoed the trade will just be reversed. And GMs will have to make subsequent cuts, etc. based on any possible reversal.

---------

I'll try and come up with some language, unless you have something in mind WW