Author Topic: What's the Ideal Situation for a Rookie Coming out of College?  (Read 6069 times)

Re: What's the Ideal Situation for a Rookie Coming out of College?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 06:16:39 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
This leads me to believe we might see 1 or 2 guys who refuse to work out for the Celtics and have their agents tell Ainge they don't want to play for the Celtics.

That is unrealistic to think that a college player wouldn't want to join a team on the rise and potentially disregard the possibility of being the first pick because he'd rather go to a losing situation where he can get more minutes.
It happens and I don't see what's unrealistic about Fultz or Ball not wanting to play behind IT4 who could be our starting point guard for 4-5 more years.

Interesting point, I thought about this myself. If I'm used to being "The Man" in college, I may not want to join the team that's already stacked at the position I'm used to. I'd figure if I can get more minutes on an inferior team and bloat my numbers, I can get a max contract after my rookie deal. The inferior team would be more likely to have the cap space for it anyway.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
This leads me to believe we might see 1 or 2 guys who refuse to work out for the Celtics and have their agents tell Ainge they don't want to play for the Celtics.

That is unrealistic to think that a college player wouldn't want to join a team on the rise and potentially disregard the possibility of being the first pick because he'd rather go to a losing situation where he can get more minutes.
It happens and I don't see what's unrealistic about Fultz or Ball not wanting to play behind IT4 who could be our starting point guard for 4-5 more years.

Interesting point, I thought about this myself. If I'm used to being "The Man" in college, I may not want to join the team that's already stacked at the position I'm used to. I'd figure if I can get more minutes on an inferior team and bloat my numbers, I can get a max contract after my rookie deal. The inferior team would be more likely to have the cap space for it anyway.

I'm sorry but that line of thinking is absurd. Who would rather go to an inferior team to start their career and forego the "more money now" with more available after the rookie deal? These kids want the money "now" for themselves and their families. It's like the lottery at first with more to come. More national exposure on a winning team, more advertising opportunities. If a player is stupid enough to say they don't want to be the 1st pick in the draft then I wouldn't want them here anyway. Are there only people here that support this line of thinking that any college kid would try hard to NOT be selected as the 1st pick in the draft because the minutes situation might be better on a perennial loser? Seriously?

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

I'm sorry but that line of thinking is absurd. Who would rather go to an inferior team to start their career and forego the "more money now" with more available after the rookie deal? These kids want the money "now" for themselves and their families. It's like the lottery at first with more to come. More national exposure on a winning team, more advertising opportunities. If a player is stupid enough to say they don't want to be the 1st pick in the draft then I wouldn't want them here anyway. Are there only people here that support this line of thinking that any college kid would try hard to NOT be selected as the 1st pick in the draft because the minutes situation might be better on a perennial loser? Seriously?

I suppose it depends on how far down in the draft you're willing to go. Regardless of where you're selected in the lottery, you've achieved millionaire status. The salary difference between between any 2 consecutive positions in the lottery isn't drastic considering the money they get paid. Being able to grab enough minutes to shine and be marketed can work out better for players in endorsements, and contract extensions, in which case sacrificing <$500k to move down 1 draft position isn't a terrible idea.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Still absurd.

1st Year Salary

4th Year Option: Percentage Increased Over 3rd Year Salary

1 $4,919,300 26.1%
2 $4,401,400 26.2%
3 $3,952,500 26.4%
4 $3,563,600 26.5%

So if you as a player would rather tell team 1 that is close to competing for a championship you don't want to play for them because you would rather play for Sacramento say who is picking 4 you lose in year 1 1.4 million. You will be in a perennial losing situation with bad management and maybe be angry all the time (see Demarcus Cousins) but you are now in a smaller market with less advertising opportunities, but the real bonus you have is you start and play 35 minutes a game for a loser which now you have become also rather than working for your minutes in a winning situation in a better market with better fans and more exposure?

See IT4 for what a difference it is to play in a winning environment with more exposure and he wasn't exactly getting big minutes on bad teams but look at him now.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2017, 10:31:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Any agent that would allow his client, a top 3-5 prospect, to sabotage his own ability to be picked higher in the draft by a top 6 team in the league thereby giving up millions in first very first contract, isn't worth the money he is being paid.

Quite honestly, the idea that a player would willfully attempt to get selected by another team based solely on the idea he thinks he can get more playing time there, sounds like its coming from a very immature person.

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2017, 10:41:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Any agent that would allow his client, a top 3-5 prospect, to sabotage his own ability to be picked higher in the draft by a top 6 team in the league thereby giving up millions in first very first contract, isn't worth the money he is being paid.

Quite honestly, the idea that a player would willfully attempt to get selected by another team based solely on the idea he thinks he can get more playing time there, sounds like its coming from a very immature person.
my memory's probably faulty (or the rumors posted here could have been faulty) but wasn't Dunn a similar situation to this where he didn't want to play for the C's and get stuck behind IT?

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Ideal situation would be something like the Bucks. A non lottery team where you can get minutes but still be held accountable coz the team is gunning for a playoff spot.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

my memory's probably faulty (or the rumors posted here could have been faulty) but wasn't Dunn a similar situation to this where he didn't want to play for the C's and get stuck behind IT?

I think if my memory serves me - Danny didn't want Dunn - he wanted Brown and I think Dunn knew that and was acting as if it was his idea.