Author Topic: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 54153 times)

Re: 2010 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2010, 01:31:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Is saying I talked to Rudy any more absurd or ridiculous than saying I am putting these players together and that they will be playing these other guys that this other guy put together? It's all make believe
Yes, but ignoring a legitimate concern with a rather curt dismissal "I talked to Rudy T he's fine" isn't going to garner much respect from me.

I chose one of the best coaches of the last 30 years to be my coach and all anyone has to say about it is "can he do it due to health reasons". Well, the guy isn't dead and he's not 110 years old. He is still working in the NBA as a scout for the Lakers. For all the health concerns for all anyone knows he might be the current picture of health and be fine with a full time return to coaching. We don't know.

So I said I talked to him and he said he was fine. Is this any more or less absurd than bringing up 6 year old news regarding his health? People don't get sick and then get healthy? That never happens? He's 62. Younger than Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Pat Riley and Jerry Sloan and only months older than Greg Popovich.

If people are going to take a negative look at adding a two time NBA title winning coach who is still fairly young where coaching age is concerned because he had health concerns 6 years ago then at least give me some news that he is still in very fragile health. Otherwise, give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he could get healthy at the relatively young years of 56-62 years of age,
That's fine Nick, just know I'm not going to take your talk with Rudy T seriously. Just as I won't take other GMs waving their hands at chemistry issues, role mismatches, or health issues seriously.

« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
I'll also add that his +/- numbers aren't all that good, the Bulls were a better defensive team without him on the court.

Is that Adjusted +/-? Otherwise, I'd likely attribute the difference to Hinrich's offensive limitations, particularly in comparison to Rose. I'd be very surprised if either Rose or Ronald Murray rated out as a better defender.

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25626
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Speaking of health issues and Rudy T...  Last time Rudy coached, he last 40 games before resigning due to health issues.  He hasn't coached a game since.  After watching what George Karl's health issues did to the Nuggets, should fans be concerned about something similar happening to the Boxers?

A similar question to Nashville:  Why didn't you take your coaching choice more seriously?  Are you worried about it affecting your team's performance?
Rudy T will be fine.

This speaks to a bigger issue. Should we factor in coaching ability and fit when looking at teams?

I wasn't going to..I saw them as a bit of a nod to having your favorite coach in charge of your team.

But if others are going to I wonder how they're going to look at Rudy T? Personally I kind of see him like a player who is playing in Europe this year...its cool to have his rights but until there is something suggesting that he will coach again, he's out of the picture.
I think to each his own.

Well that doesn't make any sense. That means one guy could completely derail you because your team's head coach wasn't up to showing up, and the chemistry never got going so your guys never developed a rapport.

Then, another guy could artificially elevate you because you have a HOF HC who will in reality never ever coach again.
People are going to do what they are going to do IP. I can't stop them. We decided to have coaches. How much import someone is going to put into his decision in who the coaches effect the team is going to be a purely individual and subjective one. People will do what they do.

If people want to suddenly view the Boxers as a poorer team because they believe Rudy T is a coach that can't be relied upon to be there due to health reasons, so be it. When last I spoke to Rudy he said he would have no problems making through the year and that having such a great bunch of players and good people around him was going to make this thing go off with extremely little stress. He told me not to worry so I'm not.
Okay the fake talking to Rudy T is a bit absurd. That's the equivalent of an GM "talking" to Maggette and Maggette saying he's a 100% on board with only taking 10 shots a game. I can't take such things seriously.

Its completely fair to consider coaching. I think coaching upheaval can definitely hurt a team. Personally for me its a bit more of a tiebreak when other factors are relatively equal.
Is saying I talked to Rudy any more absurd or ridiculous than saying I am putting these players together and that they will be playing these other guys that this other guy put together? It's all make believe.

I chose one of the best coaches of the last 30 years to be my coach and all anyone has to say about it is "can he do it due to health reasons". Well, the guy isn't dead and he's not 110 years old. He is still working in the NBA as a scout for the Lakers. For all the health concerns for all anyone knows he might be the current picture of health and be fine with a full time return to coaching. We don't know.

So I said I talked to him and he said he was fine. Is this any more or less absurd than bringing up 6 year old news regarding his health? People don't get sick and then get healthy? That never happens? He's 62. Younger than Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, Pat Riley and Jerry Sloan and only months older than Greg Popovich.

If people are going to take a negative look at adding a two time NBA title winning coach who is still fairly young where coaching age is concerned because he had health concerns 6 years ago then at least give me some news that he is still in very fragile health. Otherwise, give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he could get healthy at the relatively young years of 56-62 years of age,

I think Rudy T.'s health is a legit concern.  Last time he coached, he made it through 40 games, before quitting due to health issues.  Right now, from all indications he works a fairly light scouting job (assisted by his son), and does charity work in his free time.  I think it's legit to worry about health issues.

Of course, it's a factor.  I won't be saying that 100% Rudy is going to not make it through a season, just like I won't say that it's 100% that Bynum (or Yao or Oden or Redd) will get injured next year.  However, it will be reflected to some degree in my voting.

(Don't worry, nick, I still think the Boxers are a good team.  It's just hard to quantify certain question marks.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I can't find anything endorsing or denying the notion that Rudy T has good health.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Questions for Cleveland:

Vince Carter isn't, and really never has been, a small forward.  Can he effectively play there in your lineup?

You have multiple quitters on your team, in Vince Carter and AK47.  Where does the mental and physical toughness come from on your team?

Sadly, I am no longer Cleveland, though I hear my former Cavs are in good hands.

Carter at SF is a concern, but playing next to a huge SG in Joe Johnson helps mask some of his deficiencies. Mike Dunleavy's ability to play at SF also means that when JJ comes out of the lineup, VC can move to his more natural SG with Kirilenko or Dunleavy taking over at the 3. If my lineup wasn't so fluid, it would be a concern, but I am confident that VC can handle a role as a hybrid 2/3 as long as he's got a big mate in the backcourt.

As far as the culture of losing, VC and AK47 are sulkers with poor reputations, but they've been bolstered by guys with winning reputations, both young and old. Lawson and Aldrich have NCAA titles, JJ and Terry have been parts of long winning traditions recently, and even despite their problems, VC and AK are both fixtures in the playoffs.

Chemistry is a concern, but in a free-flowing offense with lots of touches to go around, I think they'll be able to find a common ground. Winning helps alleviate these problems, but so does scoring in bunches - and I think that will be a major benefit of playing for the fake Magic. 

Plus, Josh McRoberts once helped free hostages from a North Korea prison camp, so if his communicative skills are needed to calm tensions, he'll be pressed into action.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Plus, Josh McRoberts once helped free hostages from a North Korea prison camp, so if his communicative skills are needed to calm tensions, he'll be pressed into action.

Everyone in the Josh McRoberts fan club knows the three golden rules. Vigilance. Secrecy. Sweatervests.

Shame on you. Shame.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

Everyone in the Josh McRoberts fan club knows the three golden rules. Vigilance. Secrecy. Sweatervests.

Shame on you. Shame.

We need to spread the word. I once saw him eat a basketball like an apple after a particularly vicious dunk. It was glorious.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is saying I talked to Rudy any more absurd or ridiculous than saying I am putting these players together and that they will be playing these other guys that this other guy put together? It's all make believe
Yes, but ignoring a legitimate concern with a rather curt dismissal "I talked to Rudy T he's fine" isn't going to garner much respect from me.

That's fine Nick, just know I'm not going to take your talk with Rudy T seriously. Just as I won't take other GMs waving their hands at chemistry issues, role mismatches, or health issues seriously.
That's fine as long as you aren't taking for fact that Rudy Tomjanovic would have some sort of problem coaching my team as fact because you are referencing 6 year old news regarding his health. I think to do that is every bit as absurd as saying I talked to the guy and hence why I blew off that objection in that manner. I don't find his health to be a legitimate concern because the only news anyone has regarding his health is over a half a decade old.

« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2010, 02:19:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't find anything endorsing or denying the notion that Rudy T has good health.
Sorry. Misread that.

Roy's news earlier about hs slight work schedule and son helping him and doing charity events sounds just like any number of very successful professionals in their early 60's that are in semi-retirement. Semi-retirement does not equate to bad health.

I just think questioning his health is not a legit concern nor should it be. No one knows for a fact that he is in bad health and couldn't do the job. The fact you can't find any recent news on the matter confirms what I am saying.

« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2010, 02:21:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
From May of this year:

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/05/17/lakers-secret-scouting-weapon-rudy-t/

"This is kind of fun to not be on the day-to-day side, because I don't think I could do the day-to-day anymore, to get that big adrenaline thing and then it flushes out and then you get on a plane and get ready to go do it again," Tomjanovich said.

There are other, subtle intimations within the article that the rigors of coaching in the NBA are beyond his capacity at the age of 61.

He does seem to be in good health, though. I think he prefers the consulting at this point.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2010, 02:22:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Fine. Find me something that says he's in bad health that isn't 6 years old.

Roy's news earlier about hsi light work schedule and son helping him and doing charity events sounds just like any number of very successful professionals in their early 60's that are in semi-retirement. Semi-retirement does not equate to bad health.

I just think questioning his health is not a legit concern nor should it be. No one knows for a fact that he is in bad health and couldn't do the job.

Listen if Joe Pa can coach the Nittany Lions when he is 90 years old im not going to hold 6 year old health information about Rudy T against Nick.  And people theorizing about his health is pointless.  In this day and Age Rudy T can coach from his Bed via Skype.  It doesnt matter
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
The Seattle Supersonics would like to remind you

« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2010, 02:23:28 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Amare is a potent offensive weapon who benefits from having a versatile wing scorer (Rudy) and a PG who can run the pick and Roll well ( Duhon). An above average defender, his shot blocking makes it 4 of my players who average at least a block a game.

I would agree with "potent weapon." I'd even call it an understatement. It's difficult to overstate Stoudemire's scoring abilities. In his past five healthy seasons, STAT finished 1st among power forwards twice in TS%, 2nd twice and 3rd once. Or in terms of PER, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th twice.

But he also finished 31st in the league among power forwards in rebound rate last season and 41st in 2008-2009...

During Phoenix's playoff push Amar'e recorded a team-worst -13.37 adjusted +/-. And while it doesn't pass the smell test to suggest the Suns were better when he was on the bench or would've made the WCF without him, it is fair to say he was routinely the worst defender - out of ten - on the floor.

« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2010, 02:27:26 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Amare is a potent offensive weapon who benefits from having a versatile wing scorer (Rudy) and a PG who can run the pick and Roll well ( Duhon). An above average defender, his shot blocking makes it 4 of my players who average at least a block a game.

I would agree with "potent weapon." I'd even call it an understatement. It's difficult to overstate Stoudemire's scoring abilities. In his past five healthy seasons, STAT finished 1st among power forwards twice in TS%, 2nd twice and 3rd once. Or in terms of PER, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th twice.

But he also finished 31st in the league among power forwards in rebound rate last season and 41st in 2008-2009...

During Phoenix's playoff push Amar'e recorded a team-worst -13.37 adjusted +/-. And while it doesn't pass the smell test to suggest the Suns would've made the WCF without him, it is fair to say he was routinely the worst defender out on the floor.

In Amar'e's defense, he did draw Tim Duncan and Pau Gasol/Andrew Bynum which are tough covers for an above average defender without a substantially better defender behind him. That's one of the things I like about this team, how the skill sets cover each others weaknesses.

« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »

• Antoine Walker
  • Pretend Hinkie
Capable, okay, but still below average. He's good on the ball but undersized and not so good off of it. He can't be a disruptive defensive presence.

I think you're underselling the defense of the pride of Sioux City. He made the All-Defense Second team in 2007 while splitting his time between the 1 and 2. And here are some numbers from last season:

In isolation situations Hinrich was scored on just 42.5% of the time. By comparison, the league average FG% was 46.1% last year. And Arenas, Kirk's new teammate in Washington, allowed his defensive assignment to score 60.8% of the time in the same situation.

And Hinrich was even better closing out shooters:

Spot-Up: 36.1% (0.93 PPP)
Off screen: 41.1% (0.9 PPP)

Quote from: Tom Thibodeau
He has the ability to play both guard positions and defend three positions. In our 2009 playoff series, he guarded Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo. He has great versatility.

Where are these stats coming from? I'll also add that his +/- numbers aren't all that good, the Bulls were a better defensive team without him on the court.

Besides my worries with Hinrich aren't from his being iso'ed to death, but from the overall lack of defensive talent/length on the team other than Durant.

Isolation defense may not be a perfect predictor of a player’s overall ability or fit within specific defensive schemes, but it does give us useful clues about their effectiveness and effort and on the other side of the ball.

Excepting maybe adjusted +/- (?), Hinrich's numbers look awfully good and anecdotal evidence - the All Defense Second team honor, the respect of his peers and NBA coaches -  seem to suggest he's above average at either guard position. And as our 2009 first round seven game series demonstrated, able even to guard the 3 in a pinch.