Author Topic: 09 Celtic trade proposal analysis  (Read 6794 times)

Re: 09 Celtic trade proposal analysis
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:08 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
I don't expect any major trade, either, but I do believe there will be a handful of new veteran additions to the roster. Packaging some of our expiring minor deal s- such as Tony Allen and Scal - will have some attractiveness to another team.

There must be mutliple moves, at least two, because we have definitive and critical needs at the backup 5 and 3.

I think we should try to trade TA and sign and trade Powe to Golden State for SF Kelenna Azubuike. He would provide good back up for Paul and Ray. Golden State might not like the deal but they seem to have a lot of small forwards including quite a few good ones.

Both TA and Powe are coming off of surgeries -- why would anyone risk that?
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
In a perfect world....

Keep the starting 5

Re-sign Baby and Marbury and Powe (in February prorated)

Trade Eddie, Scal, Tony and Giddens for Chandler, Kaman or Richard Jefferson.

If we get Jefferson then sign Sheed as backup center

If we get Chandler or Kaman then sign Artest (hey, perfect world) to full midlevel for 4 years.

Realistically though, we might have a shot at Sheed and maybe a trade for Nocioni.  Which I would actually be thrilled with, especially if we kept Eddie.

I'd also prefer Gabe Pruitt over Marbury but it doesn't look like the team is going in that direction.

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
#1.  Beyond the starters, do the Celtics have a single player under contract that another team would seriously want?  Powe is injured, BBD not under contract, perhaps Eddie House.  Giddens, Pruitt, Allen, Scal, Walker?  All jags, no real value.

Yes, they have 4 and possibly 5 very tradeable assets. It seems you are disregarding the value of expiring contracts.

Name them.

I thought Scal and Tony Allen had 2 years left, so there's two I wasn't counting, but the only reason they are valuable is because of the expired contracts.  Aside from House, I don't think there's a player on the bench that has true value from a skills perspective.
TA and Scal are expiring. 
House, if he picks up his 1 year option this year.
Pruitt, if the C's pick up his 1 year option this year.
I believe Walker and/or Giddens have contracts that are at the team's discretion also
(Roy posted a brilliant article on the cap and contracs within the past 2 days that would explain the contracts)

That's 4 if not 6 options not including Ray.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »

Offline BigGreenMachine

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I Think signing grant hill and either a sheed or mcdyess ( sorry for spelling ) Will help the bench as it is now. BBD i believe will go for the money and leave us. He is a bench player and got the chance to play big minutes due to k.g He did great for us in the playoffs and i feel he thinks he could start somewhere new. His value Must have gone up ALOT with the numbers he put up in the playoffs and theres got to be a few teams That could use him to start. Plus correct me if im wrong but didnt he say to the media that he wanted the best situation for him even if that meant leaving boston. clearly he wants to start. the celtics need to focus more on getting rid of Tony allen. not scal, scal does his part well and doesnt complain about his mins. we desperatly need a big maybe even 2 if we lose BBD. Possibly a backup sg and SF i like to see Maggette or raja bell if grant hill is a no go. (p.s this is my first post so sorry if it makes no sense :) )

What about Rodman? ......

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
#1.  Beyond the starters, do the Celtics have a single player under contract that another team would seriously want?  Powe is injured, BBD not under contract, perhaps Eddie House.  Giddens, Pruitt, Allen, Scal, Walker?  All jags, no real value.

Yes, they have 4 and possibly 5 very tradeable assets. It seems you are disregarding the value of expiring contracts.

Name them.

I thought Scal and Tony Allen had 2 years left, so there's two I wasn't counting, but the only reason they are valuable is because of the expired contracts.  Aside from House, I don't think there's a player on the bench that has true value from a skills perspective.
I believe Walker and/or Giddens have contracts that are at the team's discretion also
(Roy posted a brilliant article on the cap and contracs within the past 2 days that would explain the contracts)

With exception of House, not one that you mentioned would a team be interested from a skills perspective.  This doesn't give Danny a lot to work with.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Name them.

With exception of House, not one that you mentioned would a team be interested from a skills perspective.  This doesn't give Danny a lot to work with.

We've got 7.67 million in possible expiring contracts not including Ray Allen. Thats something.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown

Name them.

We've got 7.67 million in possible expiring contracts not including Ray Allen. Thats something.

You guys are missing the point:

With regards to the bench players, all the Celts have are contracts -- other than that, they have nothing to realistically offer.

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Name them.

You guys are missing the point:

With regards to the bench players, all the Celts have are contracts -- other than that, they have nothing to realistically offer.
Your original point was "I can't see any team partaking unless the Celts parted with either Rondo or Perkins and due to the need to get value back, I would imagine Ray Allen would have to be included in that deal. " and "For 09/10 what we see is what we are going to get(with the possible exception of a luxury cap hit FA signing), "
My response was that the C's do have 4-6 assets that can be moved that other teams would want.  Expiring deals are an asset.  Having $ come off the books at the end of the year is a positive angle for many teams.  A team will unload a productive player with a less-than-desirable contract ---> that's the trade-off for both teams, one gets a better player (or players) and the other gets financial relief.  The team with expiring deals may even be able to orchestrate further savings by buying out those contracts at a discount thereby saving more $ and freeing up roster space for someone better, cheaper or a prospect to develop.

Whether or not the players with expiring contracts contribute on the team's roster, that's a separate issue.