Author Topic: Trade with NO(No Posey, Ray, Rondo)  (Read 7104 times)

Re: Trade with NO(No Posey, Ray, Rondo)
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 06:51:58 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2424
The only advantage Peterson has is his contract (2 years, $12.4 million vs. 3 years, $21 million).  I like Wright, but not enough to make up the difference between the two players in my mind.
Peterson only has two years left on his contract? That's nice. That's better than I thought it was, makes me a lot more interested in the trade.

I don't know how much Mo Pete has left.  Can he still play?  He didn't show much in New Orleans last year.
I think Mo Peterson is the same as ever. No good reason for Scott dropping him from the rotation like he did.

But hey, you end up in Scott's doghouse and ... well this happens.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:57:54 AM by Who »

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 06:54:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think you only do this trade if you believe in Julian Wright.

Mo Peterson is a good backup wing, but he doesn't earn his contract and the C's can get someone better via free agency or some other trade. He's a nice secondary get, especially with only two years left on his contract. Then the draft pick, a bonus.

I think Julian Wright is the key player. It's a risky move because he hasn't established himself as a 6th man type yet, but he clearly has massive potential and could become a better player than any 6th man the C's could realistically get in free agency. For me, this trade is all about willingness to take risk and the level of belief in Wright.

The other two players are largely irrelevant. Glad to have them, but largely irrelevant. You don't make this make this trade because of them, they're not good enough. The only reason you make it is because you believe in Julian Wright.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline YoungCfan

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Why would No ever do this trade though. That only betters their team financially in the FUTURE. Just like us they are trying to win now and this trade dsnt better them at all. Maybe if we threw in BBD...

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
New Orleans would never do this. Unless they're really desperate to unload Mo Pete, but they'd find a better deal somewhere.

For Boston, it'd depend. The opportunity cost may be too high. What deal could I have later in the season for these same expiring contracts? More importantly, the financial implications of having Petterson contract in the books next season would prevent me from doing exactly what, this season and the next? I'd need to have answers to these questions. I'd still do the trade if there was a player I liked at the #21; unlike most, I think this draft is heavy in terms of quality backcourt role-players, with many of whom being able to contribute since day 1, even for a contender. If one of those players was there to take, I'd do this.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agreed.  NO would never do it.  Why would they?

I can't believe there haven't been more takers for this one on this thread.

Celts would be crazy not to do this, unless Giddens is far superior to the status quo opinion.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
Agreed.  NO would never do it.  Why would they?

I can't believe there haven't been more takers for this one on this thread.

Celts would be crazy not to do this, unless Giddens is far superior to the status quo opinion.

Also in favor of Nocioni and Posey, but am assuming we can't get Nocioni in that way and that we couldn't get Posey and J. Wright and pick 21.
Still in favor of this trade unless Giddens is highly valued by Danny et al.

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Why would No ever do this trade though. That only betters their team financially in the FUTURE. Just like us they are trying to win now and this trade dsnt better them at all. Maybe if we threw in BBD...

Didn't you guys see the Chandler for expirings the Hornets tried to pull off last year - there's a strong argument that they're not trying to win now, they're trying to improve their salary to a more manageable position for the future so they can build up to a championship team around Paul and West in a couple years (when Peja's contract, which is the big albatross on their roster, runs out).

Even if they were trying to win now, Wright and Peterson are behind Peja, Posey, Devin Brown and Butler in the rotation. Scalabrine would actually give them a guy who can contribute some minutes in the frontcourt; TA and maybe even Giddens have as much of a shot at being rotation players as Wright, Peterson, and the 21st pick.

This is a trade I think I've mentioned in another thread, I think it makes sense for New Orleans, I think it makes some sense for Boston (I, as many know, am a big fan of Wright's potential). I think we take more of a hit in the short term to take a shot on the 21st pick and Wright for the future. I don't think either likely provides major contributions until 2010-11, although I think you'd already have an upgrade at wing depth over what we have now.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2009, 02:16:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Didn't you guys see the Chandler for expirings the Hornets tried to pull off last year - there's a strong argument that they're not trying to win now, they're trying to improve their salary to a more manageable position for the future so they can build up to a championship team around Paul and West in a couple years (when Peja's contract, which is the big albatross on their roster, runs out).

Even if they were trying to win now, Wright and Peterson are behind Peja, Posey, Devin Brown and Butler in the rotation. Scalabrine would actually give them a guy who can contribute some minutes in the frontcourt; TA and maybe even Giddens have as much of a shot at being rotation players as Wright, Peterson, and the 21st pick.

This is a trade I think I've mentioned in another thread, I think it makes sense for New Orleans, I think it makes some sense for Boston (I, as many know, am a big fan of Wright's potential). I think we take more of a hit in the short term to take a shot on the 21st pick and Wright for the future. I don't think either likely provides major contributions until 2010-11, although I think you'd already have an upgrade at wing depth over what we have now.

I don't even see much short term hit.  That's why I like this trade for Celts.

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think New Orleans are desperate to get Mo Peterson outta there. They'd jump at an offer of Mo + one of Wright/#21 pick, and I think they'd heavily consider an offer where they give up both.

I don't think they'll get better offers for Mo elsewhere either. His trade value is awful, negative trade value, I think the Hornets have to give up assets to get him off their books.

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think New Orleans are desperate to get Mo Peterson outta there. They'd jump at an offer of Mo + one of Wright/#21 pick, and I think they'd heavily consider an offer where they give up both.

I don't think they'll get better offers for Mo elsewhere either. His trade value is awful, negative trade value, I think the Hornets have to give up assets to get him off their books.

but two years of MoPete isn't a huge burden, especially for NO when you look at some of the other contracts they have on the books.

Plus, Wright is a pretty attractive commodity for the skill set he has and the players potentially available at #21 are pretty interesting.

Overall, I would do it Cs-wise. Wright would be that SF/PF that i think we need and the #21 pick could land us a backup PG in a PG heavy draft.

Not sure NO does this. I mean, how much salary are they actually saving to unload two pretty interesting pieces?

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2009, 07:48:11 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Mo Peterson is their 6th choice wing and he's earning $6mil and $6.4mil over the next two years. That's a massive burden.

How much trade value does Julian Wright have? I doubt he has any more trade value than Thabo Sefolosha did when he was traded at mid-season. I think he has comparable trade value to their #21 pick.

I think the Hornets definitively give up Wright or the #21 for expiring contracts. Both assets? I think that's a maybe. I think they'll be tempted by it and will strongly consider giving up both pieces to rid themselves of Mo Pete.

Mo Peterson has the second worst contract on their team behind Peja Stojakovic. Those contracts are more important than guys like Daniels because they go past next season into 2010/11.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 12:29:36 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Agree with Who. Wright has about the value of the 21st pick, and late first round picks are often traded to free up money. New Orleans would save money this year and significant money next year. They'd also want cash so maybe they'd rather two separate deals, one with Wright and Peterson for expirings and cash, another just with the draft pick for cash, so they can maximize the money they bring in, but I think NO would make this trade. They dispose of one of their worst contracts without having to take on any bad contract in return or giving up a rotation player.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 12:43:34 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I agree that the 21st pick is the real key.  This would not be a final move for the C's anyhow.  If it was, we'd be in bad shape.