Author Topic: 76ers Fans Panicking over Fultz; Many Deeming Trade a Disaster  (Read 12670 times)

Re: 76ers fans panicking over fultz, many deeming the trade a disaster
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think the panic on Philly end is probably what we would have done here if Danny picked Fultz.  I'm sure the team saw Fultz and thought we don't want any part of that.  I'm glad we have Danny and Brad.

I still think Fultz will be a good player.  He's very athletic.  He can play D when he wants to and has decent court vision.  The problem is with Simmons needing the ball in his hands even if Fultz was what we thought he'd be he's still not a good fit next to Simmons.  They need shooters who can create own offense and move off the ball.  Someone like that Jayson Tatum kid.

Philly has just blown their opportunity to be a top tier team.  All of the wasted top picks from the Noel's, Okufur, Fultz etc.  They just drafted so poorly that they could be an even bigger monster if they would have made better choices.  Unreal.

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I would say that Fultz still has a chance to be a good player, this is only game 1 of the season. He really didn't look any different than last season but he can still develop this year. I think by the end of this year we'll have a much bigger picture.

He will def need to improve in the coming months though to justify putting him into the starting lineup.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2018, 10:11:06 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
this is what I couldn't understand this offseason when several people here (you know who you are) thought that the Sixers could land players like Butler or Kawhi with a package centered around Fultz.  the kid is damaged goods until he proves otherwise.  last night didn't help that cause.  if he doesn't get it together by the end of the season, his value drops to that of a throw-in in a trade rather than a centerpiece or major piece.
Completely agree. Packages of Fultz, Covington/Saric and a pick were laughable
and yet by most reasonable reports, that is exactly the type of trade that would have landed them Kawhi.  They just didn't want to give up Fultz in the trade.

1 game doesn't say much.  I mean if you go by 1 game, then Rozier is better than Irving.

Maybe those reports were wrong and San Antonio didn't want Fultz, but Philly was insistent on including him because that was the only way they could make the money work.

We can't just gloss over his contract:
2018/19 - $8,339,880
2019/20 - $9,745,200 (team option)
2020/21 - $12,288,697 (team option)
2021/22 - $15,975,306 (qualifying offer)

That is some serious money, especially for a guy that is closer to being a bust than even being a low level starting PG. I understand a new team doesn't have to pick up their team option after this season, but why would you trade assets, if you have doubts about commiting to Fultz and his potential.

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
this is what I couldn't understand this offseason when several people here (you know who you are) thought that the Sixers could land players like Butler or Kawhi with a package centered around Fultz.  the kid is damaged goods until he proves otherwise.  last night didn't help that cause.  if he doesn't get it together by the end of the season, his value drops to that of a throw-in in a trade rather than a centerpiece or major piece.
and yet by most reasonable reports, that is exactly the type of trade that would have landed them Kawhi.  They just didn't want to give up Fultz in the trade.

1 game doesn't say much.  I mean if you go by 1 game, then Rozier is better than Irving.

Maybe those reports were wrong and San Antonio didn't want Fultz, but Philly was insistent on including him because that was the only way they could make the money work.

2018/19 - $8,339,880

That is some serious money, especially for a guy that is closer to being a bust than even being a low level starting PG. I understand a new team doesn't have to pick up their team option after this season, but why would you trade assets, if you have doubts about commiting to Fultz and his potential.
what are you talking about?  The reports were San An wanted Fultz and Philly wouldn't part with him, which is why the trade never got off the ground
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel for Fultz. He’s dealing with a mental issue in a high stress environment, compounded by Philly fans and trying to live up to expectations set by Tatum’s excellence.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2018, 10:38:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I actually liked what I saw from him, he showed a nice pull up jumper and was pretty fluid. Granted he seems very raw but imo slowly feeding him minutes and forcing him to play the right way will fix that. He still has star potential.

Agreed. His ceiling is undefined. His floor is maybe Brandon Roy.

Philly should still trade him once he shows fire though. He will never be an elite shooter. They need Klay or maybe even someone like Ingles or Middleton
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2018, 10:40:30 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

2018/19 - $8,339,880

what are you talking about?  The reports were San An wanted Fultz and Philly wouldn't part with him, which is why the trade never got off the ground

Why would San Antonio trade a top five player in the world for two journeyman starters and a bust? It would only make sense if San Antonio was just trying to come up with various trade options to try to increase Kawhi's trade value. Do you actually think Coach Popovich wants to coach such a mentally unstable player at this point in his career? 

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Considering the trade that actually happened was miles better than those 'reasonable reports', I don't really give them much value.

And it isn't 1 game. It's a 365 day body of work where he has shown little to no capacity to be an NBA starter

Yeah, it doesn't pass the smell test at all.

Sixers don't want to land Kawhi for Covington (let's be honest, he's not very good), and get rid of their Fultz problem without losing face? Give me a break. I know for sure that that deal was not agreed on by the Spurs otherwise Fultz would be laying bricks for San Antonio right now instead.

I think the panic on Philly end is probably what we would have done here if Danny picked Fultz.  I'm sure the team saw Fultz and thought we don't want any part of that.  I'm glad we have Danny and Brad.

Danny inviting Fultz to Boston for a workout was an act to drive up the price. Danny is only interested in winners with an alpha attitude: Smart, Rozier, Brown, Tatum.

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I actually liked what I saw from him, he showed a nice pull up jumper and was pretty fluid. Granted he seems very raw but imo slowly feeding him minutes and forcing him to play the right way will fix that. He still has star potential.

Philly should still trade him once he shows fire though. He will never be an elite shooter. They need Klay or maybe even someone like Ingles or Middleton

I think his floor is far lower than Brandon Roy, who was a three-time all-star and the best player on a playoff team.  Roy’s issue was longevity, not his game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2018, 11:34:06 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I think his floor is far lower than Brandon Roy, who was a three-time all-star and the best player on a playoff team.  Roy’s issue was longevity, not his game.

Ya a Brandon Roy floor is pretty great, basically that's what Jayson Tatum's floor looks like now (in broad success terms, as they're different players).

For a floor, I think Fultz's floor is currently more like Dajuan Wagner.

The way everyone's reacting 15 games into Fult's career, I think many Philly fans would be happy if Fultz turns into an OJ Mayo level player.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:58 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
his floor is bust, a non-NBA player in a few years

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
His floor is Anthony Bennett

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
First of all, I love the quotes from the Philly fans…hilarious. TP

However, I feel like we would have been saying something similar if most of the people on this blog got their way, and kept the #1 pick to select Fultz. I remember joining the blog because I could not understand why so many people thought Fultz was the consensus #1 pick. Something seemed off from a leadership point and I didn’t like his separation on his jumper, among other things. Nothing about him seemed special to warrant being the consensus #1 pick.

Philly needs to trade Fultz at this point. One of the biggest issues is they have so much invested in two guys that can’t shoot and need the ball in their hands to be effective. Unfortunately for Philly, they thought they were drafting the next great shooting PG, but instead drafted a guy that makes Rondo look like the next Stephen Curry. I still think the problem is finding a trade partner who is willing to trade a useful asset(s) for such a high risk player.

If I’m Philly, I call Phoenix and inquire about TJ Warren or Josh Jackson. Maybe Phoenix can just ask Fultz to be the next Rajon Rondo, and concentrate more on running the team offense and not being one of the central scoring options. Rondo has carved out a fairly significant career with that approach. I like the high risk/high reward aspect for the Suns, since they desperately need a PG, and Fultz fits in with the time frame of Booker, Ayton, Jackson, and Bridges. With Philly ready to win now, a player like Warren helps out significantly more than Fultz, who may never work out as long as Ben Simmons remains in Philly.

Or maybe inquire about Jimmy Butler for Fultz and Wilson Chandler.

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2018, 12:18:30 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

2018/19 - $8,339,880

Why would San Antonio trade a top five player in the world for two journeyman starters and a bust? It would only make sense if San Antonio was just trying to come up with various trade options to try to increase Kawhi's trade value. Do you actually think Coach Popovich wants to coach such a mentally unstable player at this point in his career?

From what I gather from guys at PTR, Pop didnt want to fully rebuild. And coming from a small market team with long tradition of winning, I get that. For a lot of these teams, selling tickets is a much more practical goal than trying to win a championship. This is why some teams choose to be stuck in mediocrity than try to bottom out.

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 12:25:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

2018/19 - $8,339,880

1.  Saric is no where near a journeyman starter. He is an up and coming prospect.  2.  Covington is exactly the type of player Pop loves.  3.  Fultz isn't a bust (or at least you can't call him one yet just 15 games into a career).

And what does San Antonio look like building around DeRozan.  He isn't exactly young and the rest of the main pieces are old.  San Antonio is going to be in no mans land in a season or two, if they aren't already there.  They absolutely would have been better offer taking a chance on Fultz, Saric, and Covington then the trade they made.  That just wasn't an option for them and Saric and Covington (with a 1st) is not better then the DeRozan package.

Whether you think it was a good idea or not, had Philadelphia included Fultz, Leonard would have been a Sixer.  There were just way too many articles out there, from all over the place (i.e. San An, Philly, and nationally) for all of the reports to be wrong. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:49:06 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip