Author Topic: Abandoned NBA city vacation  (Read 7145 times)

Abandoned NBA city vacation
« on: July 19, 2008, 09:28:27 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Hey y'all - I'm heading to Seattle and Vancouver this week (catch the sox for 3 games then go up to see the ex grizzlies site) - any advice on things to do up in either place if anyone has been? there's a few things I've seen that sound fun, but am very open to suggestions - dining, sites, museums, even a good place to get a beer - if anyone has any ideas let me know, I'll send a postcard
When you love life, life loves you right back

Re: Abandoned NBA city vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 10:16:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
My better half and I have done a couple weekend/overnight trips to Seattle (we live in Portland).

The Experience Music Project is a great music museum, with plenty of interactive exhibits.

The Seattle Art Museum is also very good. Closed on Mondays. The Museum Cafe has a very good happy hour.

The Sculpture Garden is also nice. It's along the water, a bit of a walk west from the Pike Street Market, which is a good tourist spot for browsing (plenty of bookstores, crafts, etc.). There's a good fish and chips stand in the market across the street from Pike Street proper, and a good deli/bakery option there too (3 Sisters Bakery, I think it is).

If you like Indian food, go to Roti, in the Queen Anne district, a few blocks from Key Arena and Seattle Center. We always make a point to go when we're there. There's also a barbecue joint a few blocks from Key called Floyd's that is a good option, plenty of beers on tap.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 10:23:36 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
My better half and I have done a couple weekend/overnight trips to Seattle (we live in Portland).

The Experience Music Project is a great music museum, with plenty of interactive exhibits.

The Seattle Art Museum is also very good. Closed on Mondays. The Museum Cafe has a very good happy hour.

The Sculpture Garden is also nice. It's along the water, a bit of a walk west from the Pike Street Market, which is a good tourist spot for browsing (plenty of bookstores, crafts, etc.). There's a good fish and chips stand in the market across the street from Pike Street proper, and a good deli/bakery option there too (3 Sisters Bakery, I think it is).

If you like Indian food, go to Roti, in the Queen Anne district, a few blocks from Key Arena and Seattle Center. We always make a point to go when we're there. There's also a barbecue joint a few blocks from Key called Floyd's that is a good option, plenty of beers on tap.

thanks man, I am going with the lady friend, so these are good options - another deserved TP (congrats on 100 btw!)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

Offline cool breeze

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 100
I was in Seattle for the C's/Hawks series and found my way to the Sonics pro shop. Not sure if it's still there, but they were selling tons of stuff dirt cheap. Not to worry though, as they have all the Storm gear that you'll never want!

And I'll just echo Lucky17 here - definitely check out the EMP/Sci-fi Museum.
http://www.empsfm.org/
The music part of the building is fantastic, and the historic guitar room is off the chain. If you're a sci-fi nut, that part of the museum will blow your mind. Hey, they have the actual Twiki there!

beedy beedy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
It's been a while since I was in Vancouver. But I do remember one thing:

If you like sushi, go to Tanpopo, on Denman Street. When I was there, $20 Canadian got you all you could eat off the menu, and that included cooked plates. Ridiculously good deal.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 10:32:26 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
It's been a while since I was in Vancouver. But I do remember one thing:

If you like sushi, go to Tanpopo, on Denman Street. When I was there, $20 Canadian got you all you could eat off the menu. Ridiculously good deal.

that sounds awesome

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:09:00 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I was just in Seattle a few months ago, in fact I was there for the final game, the city is pretty cool, check out Ivars for seafood, kind of a tourist spot but fun.

Vancouver is hot, I really loved that city when I went a few years ago on my way down from Alaska, I live in NY now, and it has a lot of excitement and none of the danger and crime. When I was in Vancouver the most memorable place was Gas Island, again kind of a tourist spot but fun.

You are going to have a great time, both cities are a lot of fun.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
so some interesting NBA related observations on my journey

Walked by Key Arena (after eating at Roti (good call Lucky17!)) they had Sonics merchandise for 25% off, I thought that was kinda funny, and sorta sad - but anyways - took a Duck tour, there were more than 1 Sonics jokes (essentially OK can have them, they're awful was the gist)

Went to 3 sox games, wore my C's hat for 2 of them and more people commented on that than anything else - in Vancouver we walked across this huge suspension bridge and some random guy high fived me and said go celts - go figure....

So yeah, great trip - great advice from those on the board - experience music was awesome, people in the pacific nw are some much nicer than here too, which is always cool - Vancouver is great if you're outdoorsy, which I can be... a bird did poop 1/2 an inch from the gf's beer at the Gas town brewery, which she didn't appreciate, but you can't win em all - nice weather in both places too, apparantly never snows

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Glad it worked out for you. Roti's chicken tikka masala is my favorite.

Can't say too much about the weather up north from me in Portland, but it rarely ever gets below freezing here. When it snows (maybe once a year, if that), the city shuts down, since there aren't really any plows or other resources available to deal with it. Had my first snowday since grade school a couple years ago, when we got hit with a half a foot.

You'll have to try Portland some time, although it can't be to see the Sox. The Blazers are the only pro team in town, and the city loves them. Great fans here.

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
Glad it worked out for you. Roti's chicken tikka masala is my favorite.

Can't say too much about the weather up north from me in Portland, but it rarely ever gets below freezing here. When it snows (maybe once a year, if that), the city shuts down, since there aren't really any plows or other resources available to deal with it. Had my first snowday since grade school a couple years ago, when we got hit with a half a foot.

You'll have to try Portland some time, although it can't be to see the Sox. The Blazers are the only pro team in town, and the city loves them. Great fans here.

I'd like to see Portland someday, definitely - one of our bartenders theorized that she thinks Seattle is looking to lure the Blazers, with the Paul Allen connection to the city... and apparantly gates is a big sonics fan and didn't really protest the team leaving...

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 07:29:18 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Sepaking of abandoned NBA cities, I hope you made New York.

That city hasn't had a pro franchise for years.

;D
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 08:48:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think you should try a *real* abandoned NBA city vacation, where you hit all of the cities that used to have teams. 

St. Louis
Moline (Illinois)
Fort Wayne
San Diego
Buffalo
Syracuse
Kansas City
Cincinnati
Rochester
Baltimore
Anderson (Indiana)
Louisville
Waterloo
Providence
Sheboygan

If you want to include the defunct National Basketball League, here are their former teams:

* Akron Firestone Non-Skids (1937-41)
    * Akron Goodyear Wingfoots (1937-42)
    * Anderson Duffey Packers (1946-49)
    * Buffalo Bisons (1937-38)
    * Chicago Bruins (1939-42)
    * Chicago Studebaker Flyers (1942-43)
    * Chicago American Gears (1944-47)
    * Cincinnati Comellos (1937-38)
    * Cleveland Chase Brassmen (1943-44)
    * Cleveland Allmen Transfers (1944-46)
    * Columbus Athletic Supply (1938-39)
    * Dayton Metropolitans (1937-38)
    * Denver Nuggets (1948-49)
    * Detroit Eagles (1939-41)
    * Detroit Gems (1946-47)
    * Detroit Vagabond Kings/Dayton Rens (1948-49)
    * Flint Dow A.C.'s/Midland Dow A.C.'s (1947-48)
    * Fort Wayne General Electrics (1937-38)
    * Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons (1941-48)
    * Hammond Ciesar All-Americans (1938-41)
    * Hammond Calumet Buccaneers (1948-49)
    * Indianapolis Kautskys (1937-48)
    * Kankakee Gallagher Trojans (1937-38)
    * Minneapolis Lakers (1947-48)
    * Oshkosh All-Stars (1937-49)
    * Pittsburgh Pirates (1937-39)
    * Pittsburgh Raiders (1944-45)
    * Richmond King Clothiers became Cincinnati Comellos (1937-38)
    * Rochester Royals (1945-48)
    * Sheboygan Redskins (1938-49)
    * Syracuse Nationals (1946-49)
    * Toledo Jim White Chevrolets (1941-43)
    * Toledo Jeeps (1946-48)
    * Tri-Cities Blackhawks (1946-49)
    * Warren Penns (1937-38)
    * Warren Penns/Cleveland White Horses (1938-39)
    * Waterloo Hawks (1948-49)
    * Whiting Ciesar All-Americans (1937-38)
    * Youngstown Bears (1945-47)

Ah, how I wish we had teams named the "Chevrolets" and the "General Electrics" now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions