Author Topic: Celtics (57-14) at Hawks (31-39) Game #72 3/25/24  (Read 9492 times)

Re: Celtics (57-14) at Hawks (31-39) Game #72 3/25/24
« Reply #315 on: March 26, 2024, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Tatum yet again made poor decisions down the stretch. It's not just missing shots but some of the turnovers, bad passes, iso-ball, etc. That's going to be a concern in the playoffs still until proven otherwise.

Oh and also, MISSED 4TH QUARTER FREE THROWS. This team is gonna put me in a hospital watching them shoot FTs in the 4th quarter of close games  :P Jaylen is the prime culprit but it's others too. That stuff will matter.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2024, 01:35:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
To me the most infuriating possession was when Jaylen dribbled out the clock and took that terrible 3 with 36 seconds to go. But, I’m telling myself they were playing the 2 for one game. I don’t necessarily agree with that but if you are, you’ll want to shoot towards the end of the shot clock. At least that may explain that head scratching possession.

« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2024, 02:10:55 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Tatum yet again made poor decisions down the stretch. It's not just missing shots but some of the turnovers, bad passes, iso-ball, etc. That's going to be a concern in the playoffs still until proven otherwise.

Oh and also, MISSED 4TH QUARTER FREE THROWS. This team is gonna put me in a hospital watching them shoot FTs in the 4th quarter of close games  :P Jaylen is the prime culprit but it's others too. That stuff will matter.

Exactly. They get in their head at the end of some of these now meaningless regular season games and look like deer in headlights, what’s gonna happen when things start snowballing in the wrong direction in a playoff series? They’ve largely been a front running team all year and have played really poorly in a lot of there close playoff like 4th quarters.It’s concerning.

« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2024, 03:20:00 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Don’t know how any pro team can blow a 30 pt lead
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2024, 03:55:06 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
To me the most infuriating possession was when Jaylen dribbled out the clock and took that terrible 3 with 36 seconds to go. But, I’m telling myself they were playing the 2 for one game. I don’t necessarily agree with that but if you are, you’ll want to shoot towards the end of the shot clock. At least that may explain that head scratching possession.

I don't think they were trying to game the clock... not entirely anyway. 

It's hard to know the intent of the play as a casual viewer, but from my perspective, it looked like the ball was supposed to go to KP after an initial pin-down screen by JT at 10 seconds on the shot clock, with KP's options then being an entry pass to Tatum on Capela or a jumpshot over a much smaller defender in Matthews.  JB didn't make the pass, perhaps afraid that Matthews would pick it off (looked pretty open though, I say from my couch), so they ad-libbed to a JB/KP pick-and-roll that generated no advantage and resulted in a panic shot.  Either way, I don't think it was clock management that got us in trouble.  Rather, poor execution and a good defensive possession by Wes Matthews in particular. 

Hindsight being 20/20, JB probably has a better chance at dusting Hunter (his initial defender before the Hawks switched on KP's screen) off the bounce than Matthews.  The pick put him in a worse position than he was in to start with, so I wonder if it would have made more sense for him to iso Hunter as soon as he declined the pass to KP instead of waiting for a pointless pick. 

Just my interpretation.

EDIT TO ADD: 

Here's the play in question, decide for yourselves.

https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1772451271892410669
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:04:08 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2024, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Exactly. They get in their head at the end of some of these now meaningless regular season games and look like deer in headlights, what’s gonna happen when things start snowballing in the wrong direction in a playoff series? They’ve largely been a front running team all year and have played really poorly in a lot of there close playoff like 4th quarters.It’s concerning.

Self inflicted. It's all self inflicted which is the worst thing. Lack of concentration, not respecting the other team enough and thinking it's game over because they're leading by 30 in the 2nd quarter. They think they can just switch it on at any time. Those are issues that have plagued this team. And it's driven by Jaylen and Jayson. Turning the ball over, getting a half court violation with nobody guarding you, that's embarrassing.

No surprise this happened with White and Holiday not playing. It's the top two inches from our top two players.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #321 on: March 26, 2024, 10:12:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999

Self inflicted. It's all self inflicted which is the worst thing. Lack of concentration, not respecting the other team enough and thinking it's game over because they're leading by 30 in the 2nd quarter. They think they can just switch it on at any time. Those are issues that have plagued this team. And it's driven by Jaylen and Jayson. Turning the ball over, getting a half court violation with nobody guarding you, that's embarrassing.

No surprise this happened with White and Holiday not playing. It's the top two inches from our top two players.

Why my signature still remains the truth. One of the Jays eventually need to go, and I'm onboard with Jaylen getting shipped out while his value is still high. Can't have anymore missed crucial FTs from him nor poor BBIQ plays. With him gone, Tatum can be the secured alpha and you get D. White, Holiday, and Porzingis for support.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #322 on: March 26, 2024, 10:48:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Wait. The Bucks just blew a 19 point 4th quarter lead to a LeBron-less Lakers team. I guess the Bucks don’t have what it takes and Giannis and Dame are frauds too. 🤔

« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2024, 09:16:54 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Wait. The Bucks just blew a 19 point 4th quarter lead to a LeBron-less Lakers team. I guess the Bucks don’t have what it takes and Giannis and Dame are frauds too. 🤔

No no no, don't you see. That was a fantastic loss for the Bucks. Orchestrated by the genius of Doc Rivers getting his team ready for adversity!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2024, 09:26:55 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC

No no no, don't you see. That was a fantastic loss for the Bucks. Orchestrated by the genius of Doc Rivers getting his team ready for adversity!

It wasn't even a loss for the Bucks and their superior roster to the Celtics. It was an exercise in character building that will only make them better. The regular season does not matter for the Bucks or any other team (but Boston) and the poor Celtics have no chance to win anything because of what happened in the past. Remember, if the Cs play the Heat or Bucks it is a coin flip who will win and if the Celtics don't sweep every team in the playoffs and win each game by double digits, it is not good enough...