Author Topic: Kyrie Irving vulgarly says he's not planning to celebrate Thanksgiving  (Read 3520 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Irving is part Native American.

He has a lot to be thankful for and that is basically what Thanksgiving has become (like Xmas with Santa and Easter with Bunny...thank goodness), but I can understand Native Americans not particularly loving the idea of celebrating this particular holiday (for obvious reasons).

What's the obvious reason?  The first Thanksgiving -- the one in the 1620s -- was a peaceful celebration between European settlers and Natives. 

Obviously a lot has happened in the intervening 400 years, but the traditional version of Thanksgiving is very respectful to Native Americans.
No.  It was originally a celebration of an Indian massacre.  This is the worst day on the calendar for Native Americans.

That’s a liberal myth. That event happened in 1637, well after the original Pilgrim Thanksgiving in 1621.  Don’t believe everything that you read on the internet.

https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/15002

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Is Kyrie still a vegan?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

He has a lot to be thankful for and that is basically what Thanksgiving has become (like Xmas with Santa and Easter with Bunny...thank goodness), but I can understand Native Americans not particularly loving the idea of celebrating this particular holiday (for obvious reasons).

What's the obvious reason?  The first Thanksgiving -- the one in the 1620s -- was a peaceful celebration between European settlers and Natives. 

Obviously a lot has happened in the intervening 400 years, but the traditional version of Thanksgiving is very respectful to Native Americans.
No.  It was originally a celebration of an Indian massacre.  This is the worst day on the calendar for Native Americans.

That’s a liberal myth. That event happened in 1637, well after the original Pilgrim Thanksgiving in 1621.  Don’t believe everything that you read on the internet.

I find it hilarious when people spew their unfounded fake news

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well as far as Thanksgiving for the Celtics...I agree with Kyrie! -lol- The only thing the Celtics have to be thankful for right now is that they are injury free and that is a huge blessing to say the least.

Maybe the Celtics can celebrate Thanksgiving after winning the finals.

People should be thankful daily for what is in their lives and not need a day to do it. Some holidays are just that and one should never need a day or excuse to show those they love, just that...that they are appreciated and loved.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Sounds like a media hatchet job. Gotcha! a nice juicey quote just after a miserable loss at home. Foolish of Irving to say anything at that point. I suppose he is to blame, too, but leave it to the media to create controversy.

The only thing Irving can do is to apologize, and to keep his mouth shut 5 minutes after a loss like that.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

Or was it a conservative myth? LOL

The Indians are the true native Americans--they were here first. And they have always been resentful of the European invasion and takeover of their land. That the first history books we read in school didn't have that perspective is because they were written by Europeans.

It could be that maybe Irving is a little bit right, though I recall the original Thanksgiving was about the Pilgrims giving thanks that they had arrived here safely and had escaped religious persecution in England. The history books have portrayed the local Indians having been involved, too, but I don't know how accurate that is.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

OK then I won’t beleive you or your internet link.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The exact details of 1621 are debatable, but I would just offer:

1) The spirit of Thanksgiving is generally good, even if there are historical doubts, so we can maybe understand those that want to embrace it. It's a heck of a lot more positive than most other holidays. People actually show love, feed the homeless, etc.

2) Native Americans absolutely positively are entitled to see it negatively. Their people were nearly eradicated through horrific genocide by settlers, whether or not some Pilgrims celebrated with them over turkey. Thanksgiving wasn't an actual holiday for another 240 years, during which time they were overwhelmingly treated as "savages" and murdered for their native land. There is no defense for insisting someone with native blood embrace the day personally.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Win games, superstar.  That fixes everything.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The exact details of 1621 are debatable, but I would just offer:

1) The spirit of Thanksgiving is generally good, even if there are historical doubts, so we can maybe understand those that want to embrace it. It's a heck of a lot more positive than most other holidays. People actually show love, feed the homeless, etc.

2) Native Americans absolutely positively are entitled to see it negatively. Their people were nearly eradicated through horrific genocide by settlers, whether or not some Pilgrims celebrated with them over turkey. Thanksgiving wasn't an actual holiday for another 240 years, during which time they were overwhelmingly treated as "savages" and murdered for their native land. There is no defense for insisting someone with native blood embrace the day personally.
Exactly, when Abraham Lincoln made it an official holiday in 1863 this is what he said in a proclamation entreating all Americans to ask God to “commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife” and to “heal the wounds of the nation.”
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Is Kyrie still a vegan?

He probably is. That's also an obvious reason to be against it.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

That the first history books we read in school didn't have that perspective is because they were written by Europeans.
Uh... Are you saying any book written by a European is wrong or infected with anti-native bias? Sounds kind of racist or anti-european to me. Also do you have proof the books we read weren't written by an African American or Asian Or native American ?

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Re: Kyrie Irving vulgarly says he's not planning to celebrate Thanksgiving
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 07:45:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

That the first history books we read in school didn't have that perspective is because they were written by Europeans.
Uh... Are you saying any book written by a European is wrong or infected with anti-native bias? Sounds kind of racist or anti-european to me. Also do you have proof the books we read weren't written by an African American or Asian Or native American ?

I left the proof of European genocide and whitewashing of history to portray a pro-European narrative in my other jeans. The author linernotes are also there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Kyrie Irving vulgarly says he's not planning to celebrate Thanksgiving
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
To the original quote, it’s ridiculous to make it political, or at least to care if it was (it wasn’t. He would’ve said F-Christmas if it’s been Christmas. He would’ve said F-Daylight Savings I’d that was the day).

If Kyrie would’ve sat up there and really explained himself maybe we should talk about it but it’s pretty clear this was a heat of the moment thing. This wasn’t about sparking awareness.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner