Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Cricket?  (Read 8264 times)

Anyone know anything about Cricket?
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-west-indies-2011/content/current/story/544186.html

I guess some big thing happened in the cricket world. Can't read a word of this.

I need a cricket interpreter.

Ever notice how Europe has these sports with potential and then the US makes them way better?

Re: Anyone know anything about Cricket?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »

Offline IsItTheShoes

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-west-indies-2011/content/current/story/544186.html

I guess some big thing happened in the cricket world. Can't read a word of this.

I need a cricket interpreter.

Ever notice how Europe has these sports with potential and then the US makes them way better?

Here to help! Haha. Pull me up if you need terms clarified  :) cricket can be hard to understand. In cricket there are 3 forms of cricket - test matches, one-day matches and twenty/twenty matches. This report refers to a one-day match, which are 50 overs a side to score as many runs as possible (one over = 6 balls). One-day matches have been played since the 70's and it's been [dang] near impossible to score 200 runs in a single innings. So this Sehwag guy was the second guy to do it only a year after the first guy (Sachin Tendulkar) did it. To compare, it'd be like if the season after Wilt scored 100 in a game he went out and scored 115 in a game.

I'm going to have to pull you up on your last point - cricket is a strictly British invention, not a European one. You'll find it's played in mostly old Commonwealth countries: England, Australia, New Zealand, West Indies, India etc. It's not really played in European countries (bar Britain of course).

Hope I helped!  :)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Oh, I watched that one...it was an awesome match. And that article is talking about the highest score made by a batsman in an One Day International (a world record).

I grew up watching Cricket (its big in the Indian sub-continent..almost a religion).
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:40:22 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Huh? US made Cricket better?

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 09:52:56 PM »

Offline IsItTheShoes

• Neemias Queta

Haha yeah I wasn't sure about that either. We're about to host India this summer. And by host India, I mean they're about to mop the floor with us. Australian cricket just isn't the same anymore!

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Haha yeah I wasn't sure about that either. We're about to host India this summer. And by host India, I mean they're about to mop the floor with us. Australian cricket just isn't the same anymore!

Oh, an Aussie fan. I'm looking forward to the Boxing day Test. I wouldn't count the Aussies out..at least not in their own backyard. Although, you guys did lose to New Zealand a few days ago after 26 years. Ricky Ponting needs to go. ;)

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 10:11:01 PM »

Offline IsItTheShoes

• Neemias Queta

Oh, an Aussie fan. I'm looking forward to the Boxing day Test. I wouldn't count the Aussies out..at least not in their own backyard. Although, you guys did lose to New Zealand a few days ago after 26 years. Ricky Ponting needs to go. ;)

Ugh, tell me about it. he's an overrated captain as well if you ask me. Dravid is a good example of where Ponting should be at this stage in his career - the guy has basically no flaws in his technique. India's batting is miles better than us, I can't believe how quickly our batting has degenerated! Having said that, I live about 10 minutes from the MCG so I'll be there on Boxing Day hopefully!

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:17:33 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • The Dude Abides

Ugh, tell me about it. he's an overrated captain as well if you ask me. Dravid is a good example of where Ponting should be at this stage in his career - the guy has basically no flaws in his technique. India's batting is miles better than us, I can't believe how quickly our batting has degenerated! Having said that, I live about 10 minutes from the MCG so I'll be there on Boxing Day hopefully!

Yeah, Punter is over-rated...but I thought that was an opinion shared only by rival fans. Allan Border was a true leader...Punter was lucky to inherit the team Steve Waugh left behind.

It'll come down to India's batting vs Australia's bowling. But it's safe to say, Australia's era of dominance came to an end with Hayden, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath all retiring within a short span of time.

Enjoy the Test...I hope you guys lose. :P

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:22:33 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
they chirp

*sippin*

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »

Offline IsItTheShoes

• Neemias Queta

Yeah, Punter is over-rated...but I thought that was an opinion shared only by rival fans. Allan Border was a true leader...Punter was lucky to inherit the team Steve Waugh left behind.

It'll come down to India's batting vs Australia's bowling. But it's safe to say, Australia's era of dominance came to an end with Hayden, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath all retiring within a short span of time.

Enjoy the Test...I hope you guys lose. :P

He used to be amazing, but now it's like 'bowl on middle and off stump and watch him fall over himself'. He can't help getting out lbw, it's so frustrating to watch.

Oh absolutely it's over, it was only a matter of time once Warne and McGrath retired. I miss McGrath. Enjoy the test as well, may the best team win!  :)