Author Topic: What's the most obscure sport you ever played and how did it go?  (Read 8658 times)

Re: What's the most obscure sport you ever played and how did it go?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:40 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Shirling. It didn't end well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gu3mbl8SAk
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Shirling. It didn't end well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gu3mbl8SAk

But shirling is the new monster trucking!!

TP for any and all KITH references, by the way.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 02:15:19 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Lawn darts, before they banned it for being ridiculously unsafe.  No casualties on our end, though.
Do u use darts or javelins?

Lol...

I work as a safety and reliability engineer for a toy company...

Lawn Darts have a central location on our wall of shame.

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:46 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Duck pin Bowling...I thought candlepin was pretty limited as far as areas found (New England and eastern Canada) duckpin seems to be a R.I. sport.

Im from RI and preferred candlepin when I went to school in MA.

I love shooting at the deadwood!

You have to clear in duckpin...boo!

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 02:18:32 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Duck pin Bowling...I thought candlepin was pretty limited as far as areas found (New England and eastern Canada) duckpin seems to be a R.I. sport.

What's the difference between candlepin and duckpin?  I always thought they were the same thing?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

What's the difference between candlepin and duckpin?  I always thought they were the same thing?
See how obscure it is?  ha ha ha  Duckpin's shape is more like a short, squat 10 pin, and the ball is a little bigger than  a candlepin ball.  (It was just a little to large for me to have much control, but I liked it because the sound of pins falling reminded me of dishes breaking, and I got rid of a lot of frustrations,  ;)). 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Curling.  Surprisingly compelling.  Friendly, social sport with lots of ritualized drinking.
What makes someone a better or worse curler?  How do they communicate?

The best curler on the team is is down directing strategy and signaling or calling out to his teammates, except when he's 'throwing the stone'.  Then the next best curler is down in his place.  He uses his 'broom' a lot to point to the spot that they're supposed to be aiming the stone.

What makes a good curler is someone who has accuracy in aiming the stone, including the speed and the direction and amount of the curl.  I think experience and frequency of practice has a lot to do with it, though of course some people get really good at it and some don't.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 04:16:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Lawn darts, before they banned it for being ridiculously unsafe.  No casualties on our end, though.
Do u use darts or javelins?

Lol...

I work as a safety and reliability engineer for a toy company...

Lawn Darts have a central location on our wall of shame.

Really? Why? They look pretty self explanatory. I assume some kids got hold of them

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Curling.  Surprisingly compelling.  Friendly, social sport with lots of ritualized drinking.

The best curler on the team is is down directing strategy and signaling or calling out to his teammates, except when he's 'throwing the stone'.  Then the next best curler is down in his place.  He uses his 'broom' a lot to point to the spot that they're supposed to be aiming the stone.

What makes a good curler is someone who has accuracy in aiming the stone, including the speed and the direction and amount of the curl.  I think experience and frequency of practice has a lot to do with it, though of course some people get really good at it and some don't.
How do they decide what to do with the brooms? Also it always looks like there aren't all that many ice chips. Especially after all the sweeping

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Still waiting for the inevitable Quiddich and Vampire Baseball responses. I don't remember any sports played on Star Trek other than the funky chess thing

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

How do they decide what to do with the brooms? Also it always looks like there aren't all that many ice chips. Especially after all the sweeping

The friction from rubbing with the brooms smooths and melts the ice.  This can be used both to speed the stone so that it travels farther and also to change the trajectory and curling movement of the stone, if you rub just in front of one part of the stone.  So in essence you 'steer' the stone and help to regulate just how deep into the 'house' (the big bull's eye target) it comes to rest.