Author Topic: Courtney Lee denies report from Zach Lowe, is happy in Boston?  (Read 12813 times)

Re: Courtney Lee denies report from Zach Lowe, is happy in Boston?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:12 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Guys deny saying things even when their comments are on tape.  It's standard protocol when it's something controversial.  Maybe Lee didn't say it but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.  I would be most surprised if guys weren't upset with Rondo's ball hogging.  It's never fun playing with a ball hog.

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
He asked Lowe that if he's going to report anything (or in this instance, quote) on him, make sure to interview him first.

Please explain to me how that is not denying it.
You just did yourself. He wants Lowe to contact him first before he runs his mouth; that's not the same thing as denying what he said in the first place. It's a non-denial denial, Dwight Howard style.

He may in fact deny it, but he hasn't yet.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Guys deny saying things even when their comments are on tape.  It's standard protocol when it's something controversial.  Maybe Lee didn't say it but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.  I would be most surprised if guys weren't upset with Rondo's ball hogging.  It's never fun playing with a ball hog.

He never really denied saying it, he just said that he should have been contacted, before it was put out there.  Because what Lowe suggested could have been a major leap, even if Lee had said something. 

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Lee played very poorly earlier in the year, and often looked a little lost out there.  Not a surprise that he might gripe about how the offense is run.  And not a surprise that if he did gripe, he'd be annoyed to hear about it through the media. 

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What else is he supposed to say?  Seriously, if guys didn't have gripes about one guy dribbling the ball all the time while playing in an offense ranked 28th in the league, I would worry that they had been lobotomized.

So you'd rather believe the blogger who heard some whispers through "back channels", as opposed to the actual player?  That seems logical.

How quickly we forget that Rondo played a large role in recruiting Lee here to begin with. I'm pretty sure he was familiar with Rondo's playing style before he signed here.

Wasn't Rondo familiar with Terry's style of play too?  Then why was Terry playing like Ray Allen, which is one of the moronic things I've seen.  Terry has been one of the game's best shooters off the dribble for over a decade.  When he signed here, Doc and Danny specifically talked about needing to bring in another guy who could create for himself and others off the dribble.  What's happened instead is the complete opposite.  Terry's taken a whooping 9 shots off the dribble after using a screen all season while playing with Rondo.  9 shots! And he's started and played with Rondo a lot.  There was more than enough possessions in a game for Rondo to give up some ballhandling duties and let Terry play like himself but that never happened.

It never happened in the games Rondo missed due to injury or suspension either. They tried running the ball through Terry but your expected improvements to the offense failed to materialized. Maybe Rondo was somehow able to control the ball from his living room sofa?

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
The unhappy courtney lee comment is much ado about nothing. I would be unhappy with my team's offense if I was a Boston Celtic. It has been bad and predictable for a while.

Rondo had been a little too ball dominating. It'll be interesting to see how creative Doc, Lee, Pierce, Terry etc will be without Rondo.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He asked Lowe that if he's going to report anything (or in this instance, quote) on him, make sure to interview him first.

You just did yourself. He wants Lowe to contact him first before he runs his mouth; that's not the same thing as denying what he said in the first place. It's a non-denial denial, Dwight Howard style.

He may in fact deny it, but he hasn't yet.

I wouldn't put this in Dwight Howard territory at all.

It could be an issue of interpretation. Lee could have expressed frustration once, after a particularly bad game (or play!), and then let it go. Or, this could be a deep, long-running issue. Or anywhere in between.

I view this as asking for an opportunity to place the remark in context.

In any event, we are clearly in full-blown silly season here as the trade deadline approaches.

Sometimes I wonder whether the internet has actually reduced what we know at any given point in time. There's so much hyperbole and over-reaction.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Whether the rumor is true or not, this was expected.

Lee doesn't want to mess with team chemistry, so of course he's going to deny it.
Best part is that he didn't even deny it.

Character limits and implied meanings, bro.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

The guy leading the league in assists a ball hog...right! Because Chris Paul doesn't pound the ball...actually wait, he holds the ball the duration of the shot clock before either passing off or shooting. The infallible Chris Paul!

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Trade him!!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
He's not going to come out and say its true just for pr sake.

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 04:07:19 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

The guy leading the league in assists a ball hog...right! Because Chris Paul doesn't pound the ball...actually wait, he holds the ball the duration of the shot clock before either passing off or shooting. The infallible Chris Paul!

LAC - 4th in the NBA at 1.07ppp
BOS - 26th in the NBA at 0.996ppp

I personally don't care if the ball is pounded, spun on fingers, whatever, all I care about is results and wins.  If I don't like the results, then I look to what's happening during the games for causes.  I personally don't think Rondo's pounding is leading to effective offensive possessions.  If Chris Paul really is pounding like Rondo, somehow he's still making a lot better of it (with what I'd argue is an equal or weaker supporting cast).
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 04:10:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The sound  you're hearing right now is nickagneta's retreat. After being so quick to bury him under an avalanche of negative critique about how Lee doesn't have the right to say anything. As it turns out, maybe he never did.
I beg to differ.

My guess is he vented at someone about something and it got to a very credible reporter who reported it. The first thing Lee is going to do to keep things cool in the locker room is say he didn't say it.

If he really didn't, fine.

If he did, shut up, do your job and I hope Danny ships your butt out of town.

I still stand by my hypothesis that there is something about Lee that team's don't like and that's why he's always being shipped out of town. JJ Reddick is basically the same player. Never been traded.

Orlando kept Reddick over Lee. Lousi Williams another SG like Lee, one team for many years before going to Atlanta. Wes Matthews, Gordon Haywood, Danny Green. Young players that have spent most of their careers with one team.

There's a reason for that and there's a reason guys like Lee, Chris Douglas Roberts, Terrence Williams, Jamal Crawford, Marco Belinelli, Willie Green and others bounce all over the place. I think it has to due with personality, coachability, intelligence, and locker room presence.

Heck, look at Orlando. They had Lee and Reddick and decided to keep one and get rid of another in a trade. Why keep Reddick?

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 04:18:18 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The sound  you're hearing right now is nickagneta's retreat. After being so quick to bury him under an avalanche of negative critique about how Lee doesn't have the right to say anything. As it turns out, maybe he never did.
I beg to differ.

My guess is he vented at someone about something and it got to a very credible reporter who reported it. The first thing Lee is going to do to keep things cool in the locker room is say he didn't say it.

If he really didn't, fine.

If he did, shut up, do your job and I hope Danny ships your butt out of town.

I still stand by my hypothesis that there is something about Lee that team's don't like and that's why he's always being shipped out of town. JJ Reddick is basically the same player. Never been traded.

Orlando kept Reddick over Lee. Lousi Williams another SG like Lee, one team for many years before going to Atlanta. Wes Matthews, Gordon Haywood, Danny Green. Young players that have spent most of their careers with one team.

There's a reason for that and there's a reason guys like Lee, Chris Douglas Roberts, Terrence Williams, Jamal Crawford, Marco Belinelli, Willie Green and others bounce all over the place. I think it has to due with personality, coachability, intelligence, and locker room presence.

Heck, look at Orlando. They had Lee and Reddick and decided to keep one and get rid of another in a trade. Why keep Reddick?

Exactly, agree 100% with your assessment... no wonder Iverson stayed with Philly for 10 years.

Eddie House? Locker room cancer.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:24:43 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo isn't a ballhog hes only doing what doc asked him to do but this situation reminds me a little of the kobe situation. Kobes teammates stand around like zombies when kobe is ballhogging and shooting a bunch of shots.

When kobe actually passes and makes the team feel like apart of the offense they put more energy in getting open on the offensive side of the ball and they put more energy on defense. You'd be surprised how much more you try when you feel like you're apart of the team.

Rondo does pass but he also dominates the ball too much. Guys don't really try to do much on offense besides shoot the open shot once or if they get it. When rondo isn't out there guys definitely look more ALIVE for better or worse they're more into it.