Author Topic: How could we get Udonis Haslem?  (Read 2376 times)

How could we get Udonis Haslem?
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I'm surprised that Haslem's name hasn't come up in trade ideas yet. We badly need a big man to start in Perk's absence, and Haslem would be a great fit in my opinion. He is a PF but he can play center, and he would be great off the bench (along Baby) when Perk returns.

Haslem can shoot the midrange jumper, defends well, has the "Posey like" toughness in him, he is a competitor and, most importantly, he is a great rebounder (average of 8 boards per game in only 28 minutes this season, and 2 offensive rebounds per game). He is 30 but has a lot left in the tank.

So, now, the question is : how could we get him? He made 7 million dollars last year and as the market seems to go this year, he should make a lot more. If there was a guy on which we could throw the full MLE it would be Haslem in my opinion (and then use Sheed's contract to get a wing or guard). But I doubt even the MLE is enough to get him.

So it leaves us with the sign & trade option but Miami would have no interest in getting Sheed for him (Sheed for Beasley would be great for their cap space but it doesn't work for Haslem since he is a free agent, they have nothing to gain here). Any suggestions and ideas? Maybe a trade with a 3rd team involved?

And I guess Miami will try to re-sign him but will they have enough money to do so if they get two max guys? I don't have the exact quotes in mind but I remember Haslem saying after the playoffs that he would probably value money over loyalty this summer so...

Re: How could we get Udonis Haslem?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I like Haslem, but not over a real center. He can hold down the 5 spot on a .500 team, but not an a championship team.

However, after we get a true center, I am definitely up for trying to get a guy like this. I doubt he'd go for the minimum though.  :-\

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
How much do you guys think Haslem is going to go for?
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Haslem would be a nice pickup, even though he doesn't really stretch the floor (not that Perk does). I think he'd be good in tandem with another player like Miller, or Lee--just some big who could nail 15 footers.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I'm all set him Haslem. We already have our undersized, overacheiving 4 in BBD. The MLE (and arguably Sheed's contract) need to be used for true big men in order for the Celtics to contend and win it all next season. Haslem would take a good portion of the MLE...

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
I like Haslem, but he is a Fla. guy and has stated his preference to remain in Miami.

If D Wade Bolts for The Windy city and LBJ and Bosh follow, Haslem will be Miami's best returning player.

Even if Wade returns to South Beach, I think think Miami has to re-sign him.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Miami is going to start making panic moves in hopes of convincing Wade not to bolt to Chicago. 

Trading Haslem away would probably take more then teams will want to pay.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
How much do you guys think Haslem is going to go for?

My guess: 4 years, $18M.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:37:07 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
My question is why do you want us to sign another undersized PF...
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG