Author Topic: cheap thrid string PF/C - Ian Mahinmi  (Read 943 times)

cheap thrid string PF/C - Ian Mahinmi
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »

Offline Bellringer

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 1
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I've been a Cs fan since I first saw an NBA in 2001 (I'm not American). Maybe it is not proper to create a new thread as a first post but I wanted to know what you die-hard think about this idea. ;)

I have no big plan idea but only this simple possibly rewarding idea.

I've been following the development of Ian Mahinmi since he was drafted with the 29th pick in the first round by the spurs 5 years ago. He spent 2 years playing in France before joining the NBA 2 years ago. He was sent straight to the D-league where he showed good potential. He was supposed to get some minutes last year but a misdiagnosed injury kept him sidelined for the season. Finally, although he was fully healthy this season, Popovich never gave him a fair chance. He did play a few games (15 points/9 rbds in 18 min againts the Nets) and showed he can be a useful player.

Since the spurs didn't pick up his option last summer, he'll be an urestricted free-agent this summer. The Celtics should take a look at this guy. He would be a cheap addition that could be a very nice addition if he pans out. He stated that he'll sign with a team that offers him playing time. The Celtics can promise him a bit of time at the beginning of the season that could be either increased or decreased according to his production on the court.

At worst, he'll be another Sheldon Williams (he signed a one-year deal, right?)and won't hurt the team. At best, he could develop into a good player off the bench.IMO, he's a low-risk, high-reward player.

Give me your opinion and don't be too harsh with me. :)

Re: cheap thrid string PF/C - Ian Mahinmi
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 01:07:25 AM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Welcome aboard Bellringer. Glad to have you. Great first post (and modest too).

I'd certainly be interested in a flier on Mahinmi. He's an intriguing player, an agile 6'10" PF/C who shot 63% from the floor and grabbed over 18% of available rebounds and who won't be twenty-four until November. Although admitedly I haven't seen him play, I was surprised the Spurs passed on his option.

EDIT - I see that you're right and word from France is that Ian intends to make his decision based first and foremost on available playing time which may hurt our chances. Then again we don't yet have a timetable, or even final word, on Perkins injury and rumors of Rasheed's retirement have already begun.

EDIT DEUX - I already like him more than Patrick O'Bryant or Robert Swift.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 01:16:43 AM by The Walker Wiggle »