Author Topic: David Lee  (Read 5539 times)

Re: David Lee
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Friends, let me draw your attention to that little-used S&T option:  The non-guaranteed deal.

We want to keep KG, Perk, and Sheed (perhaps), and like BBD sometimes, hate him sometimes, but generally agree that better players exist in the universe.  His deal is reasonable at 3 million, which isn't enough to work a deal for Lee.

Enter Scal.

Scal gets signed to a non-guaranteed deal and is paired with BBD and next year's 1st round pick in exchange for Lee.  

Presto:  the Knicks get a cheaper but competent (mostly) replacement in BBDavis plus a 1st round pick, get to immediately dump Scal, who makes $250K or so for his signature, and we get Lee.  It's not a great deal for NY, but it ain't bad.  Scal becomes a FA, available for the minimum if anyone wants him to fill out a roster.

We lose BBD, but Lee becomes our 4th big, giving us, undoubtedly, the best four-big rotation, perhaps, ever, and KG's replacement.  

To sign and trade a player, it must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.  Since it would likely take close to $10 million to sign Lee, you would have to sign Scal to a contract for about $4.5 million in order to make the trade happen. 

Of course the C's would be able to pay $3 million of that, meaning the Knicks would only be responsible for paying $1.5 million, which isn't bad.  But I think they would probably just prefer to use that cap space than getting that draft pick. 
probably not since they aren't doing the sign and trade of Lee until after they have their two big name free agents signed and on the hook.

The problem is (as I corrected in my previous post) that the do not have enough cap room to sign two max guys, and then sign and trade Lee.  Unless they can trade Big Eddie, they would need to let Lee walk, in order to sign two max free agents.  

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Friends, let me draw your attention to that little-used S&T option:  The non-guaranteed deal.

We want to keep KG, Perk, and Sheed (perhaps), and like BBD sometimes, hate him sometimes, but generally agree that better players exist in the universe.  His deal is reasonable at 3 million, which isn't enough to work a deal for Lee.

Enter Scal.

Scal gets signed to a non-guaranteed deal and is paired with BBD and next year's 1st round pick in exchange for Lee.  

Presto:  the Knicks get a cheaper but competent (mostly) replacement in BBDavis plus a 1st round pick, get to immediately dump Scal, who makes $250K or so for his signature, and we get Lee.  It's not a great deal for NY, but it ain't bad.  Scal becomes a FA, available for the minimum if anyone wants him to fill out a roster.

We lose BBD, but Lee becomes our 4th big, giving us, undoubtedly, the best four-big rotation, perhaps, ever, and KG's replacement.  

To sign and trade a player, it must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.  Since it would likely take close to $10 million to sign Lee, you would have to sign Scal to a contract for about $4.5 million in order to make the trade happen.  

Of course the C's would be able to pay $3 million of that, meaning the Knicks would only be responsible for paying $1.5 million, which isn't bad.  But I think they would probably just prefer to use that cap space than getting that draft pick.  

Thanks.  I figured there were probably rules about that.  I assumed the draft pick counted for money in a trade?  It must be valued somehow, right?  I thought it was around $2-3 million for 1st rounders?  Could we throw in Semih Erden to help match it up?  A future second round pick, conditional on the draft being held on a full moon in an odd year? Please?

BBD=$3 million, pick $X million, plus scal and cash.  I think that's a formula that could net us a talented player from somewhere.  Perhaps, if not Lee, then we could net someone else.  I do think there are ways to get talent to Boston outside of straigt-up trades for starters, provided Wyc will spend the dough.

EDIT:  They might want more for Lee, but I'm pretty sure if we can make a S&T offer for more than the MLE, Al Harrington could be ours rather easily in this sort of scenario.  I mean, if we wanted him...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 05:12:42 PM by More Banners »

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Draft picks have no monetary value in trades, nor do the rights to players that are not under contract (like Erden). 

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Enter Scal.

To sign and trade a player, it must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.  Since it would likely take close to $10 million to sign Lee, you would have to sign Scal to a contract for about $4.5 million in order to make the trade happen. 

Of course the C's would be able to pay $3 million of that, meaning the Knicks would only be responsible for paying $1.5 million, which isn't bad.  But I think they would probably just prefer to use that cap space than getting that draft pick. 
probably not since they aren't doing the sign and trade of Lee until after they have their two big name free agents signed and on the hook.

The problem is (as I corrected in my previous post) that the do not have enough cap room to sign two max guys, and then sign and trade Lee.  Unless they can trade Big Eddie, they would need to let Lee walk, in order to sign two max free agents.  
His cap hold is what 11 million.  That puts the Knicks at 28 million on the books, which leaves them 28 million under the cap.  Not quite enough for two max deals, but it would put them awful close to the point where they could have 1 guy and another guy on the hook if they just cleared out a couple mill in salary, which they could do by sign and trading Lee at the same time the other guy is signing with them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip