Author Topic: David Lee  (Read 5538 times)

David Lee
« on: June 07, 2010, 01:53:40 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Can anyone come up with a way he can be a member of the 2010-11 Celtics?

Re: David Lee
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Can anyone come up with a way he can be a member of the 2010-11 Celtics?

imagine how nice it would be it we had the two best Knicks players of the past couple years... coming off of our bench. LOL

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I could see the Knicks wanting Perk if they can sign Lebron and Joe Johnson/Bosh/Amare/ Dirk

A Lee (s+t) for Perk deal could make some sense. The C's would have to sign another big man with length like Haywood or draft a big at 19 to fill perks low post defensive role

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Love him. He would be great in green, though I doubt it will be possible without losing someone important.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Be almost impossible without a S/T involving Ray, which I think could work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Pretty sure Perk + 'Sheed would work, assuming Lee gets paid ~$10M/per.  But, I'm not sure I would do that.  Would absolutely decimate our interior D.  As hard as it is to find a legit 20/10 guy, it's even harder to find a guy that can match up with Dwight Howard one-on-one.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
i agree, we don't need a 20-10 guy.  We need a 10-10 guy that can match up tough come playoffs.  He's way too undersized to hold his own at the 4.  Big Baby plays much bigger than he is, and he can play both the 4 and the 5 effectivly for stretches.  We need someone who would fall between Sheed and Baby.  Who's out there that could fill that need?  Sheldon is obviously not gonna be that guy.  PJ Brown was.

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:38 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Pretty sure Perk + 'Sheed would work, assuming Lee gets paid ~$10M/per.  But, I'm not sure I would do that.  Would absolutely decimate our interior D.  As hard as it is to find a legit 20/10 guy, it's even harder to find a guy that can match up with Dwight Howard one-on-one.

You would give up two of our best interior defenders for a guy who plays zero defense?

No thanks.  David Lee is overrated because he plays no defense. 
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline BostonBurbs

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4

What about Amir Johnson?  Ended the season strong with the Raptors.  Good size... Had lot's of promise in Detroit, didn't he?

-bb

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Pretty sure Perk + 'Sheed would work, assuming Lee gets paid ~$10M/per.  But, I'm not sure I would do that.  Would absolutely decimate our interior D.  As hard as it is to find a legit 20/10 guy, it's even harder to find a guy that can match up with Dwight Howard one-on-one.

You would give up two of our best interior defenders for a guy who plays zero defense?

No thanks.  David Lee is overrated because he plays no defense. 

Did you stop reading after my first sentence?

The question was "How can David Lee become a member of the Boston Celtics?" 

The answer is "Sign and trade for Perk and 'Sheed," since New York's going to be asking for something of value in return and since 'Sheed would be somewhat redundant with Lee aboard. 

Pretty sure I said "I'm not sure I would do that.  Would absolutely decimate our interior D."

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Pretty simple actually.  The Knicks sign Bosh and Lebron, and decide they would like to add some championship caliber players to put next to them, so they offer Lee and Chandler in a sign and trade for Ray and Perk.  

Now, I am not a huge fan of Lee as any more than a roleplayer, however, I do think he has the potential to be nice player to replace Perk, if they want to move KG to center, and Chandler is a nice guy to plug in as a Ray replacement.  I am not sure if I would do this deal if I were the C's (in fact, at the moment, I am vehemently against it), but on a lot of levels, it does make some sense for both teams, if things were to play out this way.  

edit: actually, this probably doesn't work unless Lebron or Bosh take a bit of a paycut, or the C's are able/willing to also take Eddie Curry. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:39:32 PM by Chris »

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 04:25:03 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Friends, let me draw your attention to that little-used S&T option:  The non-guaranteed deal.

We want to keep KG, Perk, and Sheed (perhaps), and like BBD sometimes, hate him sometimes, but generally agree that better players exist in the universe.  His deal is reasonable at 3 million, which isn't enough to work a deal for Lee.

Enter Scal.

Scal gets signed to a non-guaranteed deal and is paired with BBD and next year's 1st round pick in exchange for Lee.  

Presto:  the Knicks get a cheaper but competent (mostly) replacement in BBDavis plus a 1st round pick, get to immediately dump Scal, who makes $250K or so for his signature, and we get Lee.  It's not a great deal for NY, but it ain't bad.  Scal becomes a FA, available for the minimum if anyone wants him to fill out a roster.

We lose BBD, but Lee becomes our 4th big, giving us, undoubtedly, the best four-big rotation, perhaps, ever, and KG's replacement.  

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Friends, let me draw your attention to that little-used S&T option:  The non-guaranteed deal.

We want to keep KG, Perk, and Sheed (perhaps), and like BBD sometimes, hate him sometimes, but generally agree that better players exist in the universe.  His deal is reasonable at 3 million, which isn't enough to work a deal for Lee.

Enter Scal.

Scal gets signed to a non-guaranteed deal and is paired with BBD and next year's 1st round pick in exchange for Lee.  

Presto:  the Knicks get a cheaper but competent (mostly) replacement in BBDavis plus a 1st round pick, get to immediately dump Scal, who makes $250K or so for his signature, and we get Lee.  It's not a great deal for NY, but it ain't bad.  Scal becomes a FA, available for the minimum if anyone wants him to fill out a roster.

We lose BBD, but Lee becomes our 4th big, giving us, undoubtedly, the best four-big rotation, perhaps, ever, and KG's replacement.  

To sign and trade a player, it must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.  Since it would likely take close to $10 million to sign Lee, you would have to sign Scal to a contract for about $4.5 million in order to make the trade happen. 

Of course the C's would be able to pay $3 million of that, meaning the Knicks would only be responsible for paying $1.5 million, which isn't bad.  But I think they would probably just prefer to use that cap space than getting that draft pick. 

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Enter Scal.

To sign and trade a player, it must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.  Since it would likely take close to $10 million to sign Lee, you would have to sign Scal to a contract for about $4.5 million in order to make the trade happen. 

Of course the C's would be able to pay $3 million of that, meaning the Knicks would only be responsible for paying $1.5 million, which isn't bad.  But I think they would probably just prefer to use that cap space than getting that draft pick. 
probably not since they aren't doing the sign and trade of Lee until after they have their two big name free agents signed and on the hook.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:44:04 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something...  doesn't New York have to renounce their rights to David Lee in order to maximize their cap space?  There's a good-sized cap hold on their books otherwise, right?  If so, sign-and-trade's not going to happen, since they'd  only be able to sign Lee for the vet minimum.