Author Topic: Celtics Summer Game Plan  (Read 22880 times)

Re: Celtics Summer Game Plan
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2010, 08:23:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I have the Itch that Danny will do something special with that 19th pick - whether that means pair it with another player to move up..trade it to another team for a current NBA player..maybe someone will drop to us (A La Paul Pierce when he fell to us)...I don't know.
I can't see him moving the pick for current player.  I could be wrong but I think because we're over the cap and that prevents us from taking on more salary without clearing some out.  We can't do that without throwing in a player of a matching salary (say Sheed).  If that were the case, we'd be using the pick to clear a player off our roster and getting back someone who either has a crappy contract themselves or is damaged goods so neither scenario is appetizing.

I think Danny will end up probably staying pat at #19 and with luck, buying another late 1st/early 2nd round pick.  He may have to trade a future pick to get that extra pick this year.  I'm not a fan of that idea.  He should be able to get someone that'll contribute a little next year at #19 or at worst, contribute next year.  They really could use another SF or swingman that can shoot to complement TA off the bench (I would be very surprised if TA wasn't resigned).  In any case, I figure Danny to take the best player available regardless of what position they play.  It's not like were loaded with quality depth under contract anywhere.

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd re-sign Ray Allen and run back the same starting lineup next year.  Ray's play just has flat-out not dropped off with age.  
You've got Pierce, KG & Rondo under contract anyways - so why not?

The following offseason we'll be able to parlay Sheed/KG into something better than 6th man type guys, and Ray will still be a solid contributor off the bench.

In that scenario, maybe we only win one or two playoff rounds next year and have to wait until the following year to reload for another title push, but that is a scenario that this Celtic fan will take all day long.

Take out emotions and trading Pierce makes more sense in my opinion, then trading Ray.

Obviously this wouldn't work with the CBA - at least I think not - Pierce and Rasheed to Philly for AI and Dalembert. Pierce opts out. Signs with C's for Max MLE.

Rondo / Backup PG
Ray / Pierce
AIv2 / Pierce
KG / BBD
Perk / Dalembert

Not possible.  If we trade Pierce, he won't be able to come back.
Pierce would have to reject his ETO and then he could be traded to Philly. Philly could then buy him out. We could sign him 20 days later.

Not for anything better than the vet. minimum, since we'd be over the cap.  Plus, why the heck would Philly buy him out?  They trade their best player and then buy out the guy they get back, who by the way is still a very solid player?  

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh clearly - it was just a fantasy post, I thought that was clear. They could use the MLE to sign Pierce in that.

We'd have to throw in draft picks and money to get them to do it, no doubt. And we'd have to send 3 million. (And Rasheed might have to agree to a buy out too.)

If you are Philly you could only justify this if you really wanted to dump Dalembert/cust salary, you don't think AIv2 is good enough to build around, and you thought you could get something good from the draft picks BOS would be willing to send. (In general if you were intent on blowing everything up.)

The Brand contract is actually much worse for Philly, not that Danny would want to take it on, but what about doing a Brand/AIv2 for Pierce and Wallace (assuming the under the table buy out Pierce and resign him for the MLE deal would go through.)

Philly could buyout Pierce for 10 million and that would mean they clear 30 million of salaries over the next three seasons for taking Rasheed. The numbers don't work perfectly, so assume Tony or Scal has a throw in S&T to make it work, plus BBD. (Tony if Philly wants him, Scal on a one year deal if they just want to clear money.)

You'd end up with a starting 5 of: Perk, KG, AIv2, Ray, Rondo and a bench of Brand, Pierce, and say Nate and Sheldon are resigned. I think that's a team that could win another title both of the next two years.

(UPDATE: just to be clear I don't see this as likely, Wyc isn't paying max money for a bench big.)

« Reply #92 on: May 20, 2010, 06:07:34 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
If the Celtics win #18 this year (thumbs crossed) they'd be crazy to break up the team. I say keep going with what's working until it's 100% clear that we absolutely cannot contend for another title. Let's say we win it all this year, We will probably be one of the favorites to win it again next year. Say what you want about our players aging, as long as we have a healthy KG and gracefully declining PP and Ray allen and Rondo we will always have a chance  As long as we avoid injuries I say keep this core together as long as possible. The key is to add complimentary players that will make up for the "big 3's" decline.

I say re-sign Ray Allen to a reasonable 2-3 year deal, re-sign Tony Allen to a contract similar to what he already has(with a small raise for his improvements), sign a 5th big man(although im not opposed to bringing back shelden), sign a steady backup pg who can fill in  effectively for 15 mins a game, and even fill in in case of injury(I have a soft spot for Chris Duhon who would be an awesome pickup).

I have a weird feeling that Boston wont use their entire MLE on one player, unless that player is someone who pulls a Ron Artest and comes to Boston for a discount. I think it'll be split between the backup pg(Duhon) and  a backup wing(depending on who's available: Travis Outlaw, or Mike Miller or even Craig Smith as our 4th big who is a better version of Leon Powe which means no shelden and a return of Michael Finley or Quisy). Although I really like Travis Outlaw as a backup for us, I don't think we would ever want him as a starter down the road or as a ray allen predescescor, I mean he has had many many years to establish himself as an above average starter and yet so far he has only shown to be an average yet solid starter but spectacular bench player.

Chicago might make some noise next season, but history has shown us that the GM always manages to turn a perfect situation into a mediocre team, so even with their cap space im not sure theyll do anything productive with it.

Next year alot of players will change teams and we have no idea how teams will gel, etc. even a team of Bosh and Wade wont scare me. It seems like out of the contenders, Boston, Orlando and LA are the only sure things to be a lock to be a title contender next year. 

In conlusion: Keep the current nucleus together at least for another year or two, aim for a dynasty.

« Reply #93 on: May 20, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
You keep Ray and Tony (our back-up PG... feels really funny saying that), and then I think the Cs will try to sign Anthony Morrow, Travis Outlaw or both with the MLE. If they can get shooting in FA, with the 19th pick you'll see the Cs go for size -- lots of interesting possibilities with length late in the first. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:12 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
i hope they keep the current lineup as much as possible.
Especially signing Nate Robinson.

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2010, 12:42:58 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I wonder if Perks injury changes the strategy a bit. We will have to shore up our frontline and rebounding. Amir Johnson might be a decent fit here backfilling for Scalabrine and Sheldon Williams.

Other than that, resign Nate and the Allen brothers and keep the ball rolling.

Coaching is where we might have to rebuild with the certain loss of Thibadeux (to the Bulls) and the probable step down of Doc Rivers.
The beatings will continue until morale improves