Author Topic: Do you consider Vince Carter overrated?  (Read 2997 times)

Re: Do you consider Vince Carter overrated?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 09:33:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He certainly failed to become what he could have been, but that doesn’t make him a bad player. His best season was his 3rd season though... really weird to plateau that early.

He was a great offensive force for a long time though, who generated an unrivalled amount of highlights.

I think of him similarly to DeMar DeRozan. A really solid player, but never made the improvements necessary to go from perennial All-Star calibre to MVP calibre.

Vince vs Dominique:  who you got?

I'd go Nique if for no other reason than that epic playoff battle against Bird.  I just don't see Vince putting up that kind of battle that Nique did and try to carry his team to victory.

The closest Carter came were his matchups with Iverson early in his career, particularly in the 2001 playoffs.

As goukii said, VC fell off / plateaued after that season.  But, in 2001 he was on track for super-duper stardom.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 09:36:09 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Okay, okay, fair enough lol.

I'd like to think Vince was talented player who was slightly overrated. But I think the influential footprint he left on the NBA, especially for Toronto, (let's be honest, they were never considered a basketball city until he came,) and the legacy that everyone will remember him for his electrifying dunks, and crazy offensive moves.

I think if Vince Carter & McGrady had stayed together, those duo could've been one of the greatest.

Also, like great stars, I think VC also suffered from not having great teammates. Likewise, for McGrady once he desired his ability to become a superstar.

It's funny how ego can break down great teams, especially talented ones with skyrocketing potential.

Add in a quality supporting cast and you can imagine an Eastern Conference dynasty in the making. “In hindsight, looking back, obviously I wish I had stayed in Toronto," McGrady said in a 2013 interview with the Toronto Star. "There's no doubt we could have contended for a championship. I think about that often. But if 'if' was a fifth, you know?"

Vince Carter told ThePostGame this year:

"We've talked about it plenty of times. [McGrady] says, 'I guess, maybe I should've explored it,' but at the same time, he was looking for his opportunity to be the superstar that he became. That's what he wanted.

"It's funny how back then, guys were leaving teams to go and start their own team instead of the other way around. That's just the way it was back then, and he wanted that opportunity to be the exclusive go-to guy and you can't knock him for that. ... He was taking abuse—verbal abuse—from a lot of people for doing that. And I think now, if a player were to do that, they would be respected for it. It's weird how time changes."

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Let me spice things up a little bit. 8)

Overrated:

- Vince Carter
He was at this best when playing at a fast pace. Great player for the regular season, not so much for the playoffs. To put it another way, imo he was an entertainer, not a winner.

- Harden
The same as above, plus he plays no D whatsoever.

- MJ (yep, I said it)
Widely considered to be the undisputed GOAT. I don't believe he's the GOAT, hence imo he's overrated.

- Kobe
Terrible teammate. Most of the times he was only looking for his own shot.

- AI
Same as above. Most of the times he was only looking for his own shot. Unlike Kobe, he was a below average defender as well (to say the least). Yes, he led the league in steals three times. Gambling for steals isn't necessarily indicative of good defense.

- Wade
A bit too much ball dominant for my liking, especially for a guy with a score-first mentality. Imo, he was a one-dimensional scorer. Excellent slasher, below average shooter.

Underrated:

- Klyde Drexler
- Manu Ginobili
- Reggie Miller
- Drazen Petrovic
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 05:13:54 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Overrated:

- Vince Carter
He was at this best when playing at a fast pace. Great player for the regular season, not so much for the playoffs. To put it another way, imo he was an entertainer, not a winner.

- Harden

- MJ (yep, I said it)
Widely considered to be the undisputed GOAT. I don't believe he's the GOAT, hence imo he's overrated.

- Kobe

- AI
Same as above. Most of the times he was only looking for his own shot. Unlike Kobe, he was a below average defender as well (to say the least). Yes, he lead the league in steals three times. Gambling for steals isn't necessarily indicative of good defense.

- Wade
A bit too much ball dominant for my liking, especially for a guy with a score-first mentality. Imo, he was a one-dimensional scorer. Excellent slasher, below average shooter.

Underrated:

- Ray
- Klay
- Klyde Drexler
- George Gervin

Definitely spiced things up lol.

So who's the GOAT then?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Overrated:

- Vince Carter

- Harden

- MJ (yep, I said it)

- Kobe

- AI
Same as above. Most of the times he was only looking for his own shot. Unlike Kobe, he was a below average defender as well (to say the least). Yes, he lead the league in steals three times. Gambling for steals isn't necessarily indicative of good defense.

- Wade

Underrated:

- Ray
- Klay
- Klyde Drexler
- George Gervin

So who's the GOAT then?
Imo, Magic. Basketball is a team game. He was the best at making his teammates better.

- best passer of all time
- out of this world basketball IQ
- one of the most versatile players ever (if not the most versatile). I mean, he was a 6'9 PG! He won the 1980 Finals MVP while playing the whole game 6 at C!

I could go on and on and on. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. There is no right answer to your question. It's just a matter of preference.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:11:56 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I wouldn't say he was overrated, but I do agree that he underachieved.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Overrated:

- Vince Carter

- Harden

- MJ (yep, I said it)

- Kobe

- AI

- Wade

Underrated:

- Ray
- Klay
- Klyde Drexler
- George Gervin

So who's the GOAT then?
Imo, Magic. Basketball is a team game. He was the best at making his teammates better.

- one of the most versatile players ever (if not the most versatile). I mean, he was a 6'9 PG! He won the 1980 Finals MVP while playing the whole game 6 at C!

I could go on and on and on. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. There is no right answer to your question. It's just a matter of preference.
got to say I have to agree with your overrated list.  underrated is pretty solid too.  a lot of players could go on that list.

had me up to the point where you stated Magic was GOAT.  top 5, no doubt.  greatest -- no.  I'd put him squarely behind Russell, Wilt, Bird and MJ.  ahead of everyone else but not those 4

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Overrated:

- Vince Carter

- Harden

- MJ (yep, I said it)

- Kobe

- AI

- Wade

Underrated:

- Ray
- Klay
- Klyde Drexler
- George Gervin

So who's the GOAT then?

got to say I have to agree with your overrated list.  underrated is pretty solid too.  a lot of players could go on that list.

had me up to the point where you stated Magic was GOAT.  top 5, no doubt.  greatest -- no.  I'd put him squarely behind Russell, Wilt, Bird and MJ.  ahead of everyone else but not those 4
I have Magic at 8 or so I think.

Kareem, MJ, Bird, Russell, Wilt are comfortably better than him for my mind. He’s on the same tier as TD, Hakeem & Kobe, with my preference going to the two bigs. Still a star, and the GOAT point guard (Curry could catch him though). Just always thought he was a weak defender
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I actually think he was underrated. However, I agree that he under achieved.