Author Topic: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17  (Read 43218 times)

Re: Celtics (8-2) at Hawks (2-8) Game #11 11/6/17
« Reply #480 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Where are all those loud Kyrie doubters now?

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

Nope.

You really don't think irvings defense this year has been better than IT's was all of last year (and the year before that)?

There were two parts of that clause. Defense was only one of them.

IT had a better assist rate and led a much more efficient offense than Kyrie has to date. The “better passer” argument isn’t supported by data.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #481 on: November 06, 2017, 10:30:57 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Well I for one am glade we have Kyrie Irving on this team and i thank him for his part in this win. 

Go Kyrie ...Go Celtics !

good facilitator, playing good D...and can score at will at times....you can see his BBIQ is through the roof.....he tries to get everybody great shots and open looks yet knows when he needs to drive to hoop or hit an open JAY similar to tatum.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #482 on: November 06, 2017, 10:31:59 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Roy H....IT4 is gone

Embrace Kyrie

New fireballa in town!

And an upgraded model at that.

right. IT was great but kyrie is better all around. we are seeing it now.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #483 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Seriously.

They're going to insist that they are right until he wins the Celtics a championship.  Stubborn.

I think they’re going to insist that Kyrie has yet to show he’s as good as IT, let alone better. Then throw in the BRK pick, Crowder, Zizic.

IT had 31 games of 30+ points last season. Kyrie has one.  He’s an exciting player, and a very good one, but that doesn’t mean we got good value.

Roy, you're clearly just being stubborn based on preconceived notions. Kyrie isn't being asked to score as much on this as Isaiah was last year. That said, two of the very things you questioned and harped on, defense and passing, Irving has shown to be way better than Thomas was. Agree?

Nope.

You really don't think irvings defense this year has been better than IT's was all of last year (and the year before that)?

IT had a better assist rate and led a much more efficient offense than Kyrie has to date. The “better passer” argument isn’t supported by data.

I was guessing that was what you meant. I am glad you agree on the defense. I don't really have an opinion on the passing part myself

« Reply #484 on: November 06, 2017, 10:33:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Seriously.

Nope.

9-2 record says hi Roy

Kyrie making it count when it matters

You replace Kyrie with a healthy IT4 + this lineup... We would not be 9-2...doubt it

« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2017, 10:37:40 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Seriously.

Nope.

I was guessing that was what you meant. I am glad you agree on the defense. I don't really have an opinion on the passing part myself

As far as passing, he's clearly trying, especially early in a game, to get everyone involved.  That doesn't necessarily lead to an assist.  Look at Tatum and Brown's contributions. A lot of that has to do with the attention Kyrie draws and his unselfishness.  Kyrie is also a big reason for Horford's great play.

« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
pulled out a great win despite not playing well.  Kyrie really put the team on his back down the stretch.

« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2017, 10:38:55 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you hit the ball before it hits the backboard it is a block not a goaltend Correct? Still not understanding the ruling on that second to last play of the game, but then again there were a lot of calls that made zero sense that game.. Still don't know how we pulled that W off with the absolute lackadaisical play in the 1st half. Talk about playing down to your opponents level.

Something I've noticed alot this year, for having elite athleticism and the ability to dunk at will jaylen Brown has been dreadful on layups.. makes no sense lol. And rozier with a -12 +/- to lead the team, he was terrible and no coincidence that we lost the lead every time he went out on the court. The kids got all the tools to at least be an average defender but constantly seeing him pull the ol bull fighter on defense out there to quote Tommy.

I'm confident that brad will get these guys to tighten up a bit and keep the streak rollin!
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Seriously.

Nope.

Assist rate to USG ratio supports it.

« Reply #489 on: November 06, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you hit the ball before it hits the backboard it is a block not a goaltend Correct? Still not understanding the ruling on that second to last play of the game, but then again there were a lot of calls that made zero sense that game.. Still don't know how we pulled that W off with the absolute lackadaisical play in the 1st half. Talk about playing down to your opponents level.

Something I've noticed alot this year, for having elite athleticism and the ability to dunk at will jaylen Brown has been dreadful on layups.. makes no sense lol. And rozier with a -12 +/- to lead the team, he was terrible and no coincidence that we lost the lead every time he went out on the court. The kids got all the tools to at least be an average defender but constantly seeing him pull the ol bull fighter on defense out there to quote Tommy.

I'm confident that brad will get these guys to tighten up a bit and keep the streak rollin!

Yeah, Brown has a long way to go, but he's impressive at where he is now overall.  One thing I like about him is he has self awareness and talks about the weaknesses of his game.  That's half the battle and he worked hard on them this past offseason.  He is just 21 and we are going to have fun watching his game grow.

« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2017, 11:03:36 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's not automatically a goaltend but sometimes the ball is descending before it hits the board. Couldn't really tell if that was the case here or not though.

Agree that this was a bad W, but we're playing with house money already. We were due some dud stretches and we got them here and in OKC and won anyway. I'll take it for now.

« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Cant stop watching this Tatum 3 with less than a min

Thank you Brooklyn Nets

https://youtu.be/mVcap6bT5C4

« Reply #492 on: November 06, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Seriously.

Nope.

Are you really arguing this?

IT had an ast% of 32.5 compared to Kyrie's 31.7, a whopping .8 difference. Furthermore, IT did it on a usage % of 34.0 to Kyrie's 28.9, a significant difference of over 5%. When considering respective usages, Kyrie clearly has a better assist rate than IT, making your argument unsound. IT also wasn't playing with a brand new team returning only four players that relies heavily on rookies and young players.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kyrie+Irving&player_id1_select=Kyrie+Irving&y1=2018&player_id1=irvinky01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Isaiah+Thomas&player_id2_select=Isaiah+Thomas&y2=2017&player_id2=thomais02&idx=players

Stop being so stubborn with this trade, man. Kyrie has been phenomenal, and we're clearly in the lead with this trade, especially with IT not even planning on stepping onto the floor until 2018. Maybe the Brooklyn pick lands and ends up swinging it toward Cleveland, but from a player standpoint it's not even close.

I don't understand why people romanticize IT's tenure here so much. We were largely scrappy overachievers, but once we get an actual skilled team that is killing the league, all people want to do is romanticize the past. It's amazing.

« Reply #493 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Seriously.

Nope.

9-2 record says hi Roy

Kyrie making it count when it matters

You replace Kyrie with a healthy IT4 + this lineup... We would not be 9-2...doubt it

Yep basically because IT would demand the ball instead of moving it to horford or tatum

« Reply #494 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Seriously.

Nope.

Are you really arguing this?

IT had an ast% of 32.5 compared to Kyrie's 31.7, a whopping .8 difference. Furthermore, IT did it on a usage % of 34.0 to Kyrie's 28.9, a significant difference of over 5%. When considering respective usages, Kyrie clearly has a better assist rate than IT, making your argument unsound.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Kyrie+Irving&player_id1_select=Kyrie+Irving&y1=2018&player_id1=irvinky01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Isaiah+Thomas&player_id2_select=Isaiah+Thomas&y2=2017&player_id2=thomais02&idx=players

Stop being so stubborn with this trade, man. Kyrie has been phenomenal, and we're clearly in the lead with this trade, especially with IT not even planning on stepping onto the floor until 2018. Maybe the Brooklyn pick lands and ends up swinging it toward Cleveland, but from a player standpoint it's not even close.

I don't understand why people romanticize IT's tenure here so much. We were largely scrappy overachievers, but once we get an actual skilled team that is killing the league, all people want to do is romanticize the past. It's amazing.

Thank you. I don't do stats that well, but it seems clear as day to me that Kyrie is a far more effective passer.

More velocity on the ball, more creative angles, and he has more size and longer arms so he doesn't have to jump pass all the time.