Author Topic: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?  (Read 13755 times)

Re: What would it take to get Noel at the deadline?
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2015, 08:10:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
What would be interesting if DMC really does flame out in Sacto.  Maybe Philly says, how about Okafor and a couple of protected 1sts.  All of a sudden Philly has DMC and Noel to anchor the interior.  Not sure Boston could be that sort of package.

Sacramento is swapping with Philly the next two years because they are betting on their record compared to Phillys, lol
Yeah but if DMC demands a trade, Philly has the best assets, including the removal of the swap and adding the picks themselves plus Okafor (he makes more sense than Noel if you are acquiring DMC).
Do you think Cousins would willingly go to Philly? I sure don't.
He certainly might.  He would get to play with a real bonafide defender next to him, something he badly wants to take pressure off of him. 

Probably depends what Philly looks like at the time of the trade, but they might actually be in the same general win total as Sacramento. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2015, 08:23:45 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I heard around the draft that the trade rumors of Noel for Smart swap had to do with the Sixers/Noel looking to move on from each other.

With that information framing my opinion, I think that we could get him without dealing Smart and for that matter if we were willing to deal Smart for Noel, Noel would already be back in Boston.

I think if the C's were willing to give up a Brooklyn pick it might be enough to get Noel at the deadline if it looks like there is a chance it could be a top 5 pick.

actually ainge offered/initiated the trade talks
and the trade was

celtics trade smart + 16 pick + 28 pick

76ers trade noel + 3rd pick

with that said
it was crazy for ainge to offer that considering how little 76ers received
also considering noel so far has been the better player  compared to smart

and 3rd pick > 16 + 28

to get noel from 76ers
Bradley + Young + smart + brooklyn pick + dallas pick

seems like im overpaying?
yes but 76ers expect that considering noel was highly touted prospect both high school and college
and had pretty good season for a rookie last year esp defensively

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
I heard around the draft that the trade rumors of Noel for Smart swap had to do with the Sixers/Noel looking to move on from each other.

With that information framing my opinion, I think that we could get him without dealing Smart and for that matter if we were willing to deal Smart for Noel, Noel would already be back in Boston.

I think if the C's were willing to give up a Brooklyn pick it might be enough to get Noel at the deadline if it looks like there is a chance it could be a top 5 pick.

actually ainge offered/initiated the trade talks
and the trade was

celtics trade smart + 16 pick + 28 pick

76ers trade noel + 3rd pick

with that said
it was crazy for ainge to offer that considering how little 76ers received
also considering noel so far has been the better player  compared to smart

and 3rd pick > 16 + 28

to get noel from 76ers
Bradley + Young + smart + brooklyn pick + dallas pick

seems like im overpaying?
yes but 76ers expect that considering noel was highly touted prospect both high school and college
and had pretty good season for a rookie last year esp defensively

Believe Ainge personally called Marcus Smart to rebuke those rumors and said he wasn't on the table. Could just be a PR move by the Celtics front office to ease the worries of players, but there was no way Philadelphia was taking that trade regardless.

« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2015, 01:55:46 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
What would be interesting if DMC really does flame out in Sacto.  Maybe Philly says, how about Okafor and a couple of protected 1sts.  All of a sudden Philly has DMC and Noel to anchor the interior.  Not sure Boston could be that sort of package.

Sacramento is swapping with Philly the next two years because they are betting on their record compared to Phillys, lol
Yeah but if DMC demands a trade, Philly has the best assets, including the removal of the swap and adding the picks themselves plus Okafor (he makes more sense than Noel if you are acquiring DMC).
It doesn't matter.  Cousins has no say on if or who he gets traded to.

It certainly does matter. I mean sure, you can trade him there without any say, but Cousins can go kicking and screaming. Philly isn't even close to being competitive. The Embiid situation is a huge set back for them. If they trade for Cousins in the next couple years, he's gonna destroy whatever semblance of progress they have. If they trade say, Okafor and a top pick for him, your gonna put a team out there with Cousins, Noel, Robert Covington and a bunch of d-leaguers? No way.

If Cousins wants out in the next year or so, we have the best assets of the realistic teams he could go to. Orlando isn't that far behind, Phoneix too. But Philly isn't a realistic option, for either party precisely because Cousins won't want to go there. You don't trade for players who vehemently don't want to play for you, especially when you've been purposely fielding a team of scrubs just to lose as many games as possible and you trade anyone who could make you a little too good.

Part of the hidden costs of the Philly experiment. Players around the league really don't like what Philly is doing, and for that reason I doubt they get anyone to sign there until all the losing produces serious, winning results. And in trades the same applies. You don't trade for a guy of Cousins stature who doesn't want to play for you, especially when he's as volatile as Cousins. Not until they have a good team with talent to spare. They don't have that right now.
Hinkie is looking for a star to build around.  If none of the Sixers young players show star potential and Cousins comes on the market next offseason, I think Hinkie would seriously consider trading for him.  Cousins would still have 2 years on his contract.  The Sixers would still have some picks and plenty of cap space to acquire additional talent.  They could put together a lineup like Jennings/DeRozan/Covington/Noel/Cousins and be competitive in the East.

Again, it seems like people are just ignoring the recent sac/philly trade. Philly will have the right to swap the next two years and will get sacs first in a couple of years. You would have to assume philly would ignore these obligations and pay cousins market? That's a lot

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

It doesn't matter.  Cousins has no say on if or who he gets traded to.

It certainly does matter. I mean sure, you can trade him there without any say, but Cousins can go kicking and screaming. Philly isn't even close to being competitive. The Embiid situation is a huge set back for them. If they trade for Cousins in the next couple years, he's gonna destroy whatever semblance of progress they have. If they trade say, Okafor and a top pick for him, your gonna put a team out there with Cousins, Noel, Robert Covington and a bunch of d-leaguers? No way.

If Cousins wants out in the next year or so, we have the best assets of the realistic teams he could go to. Orlando isn't that far behind, Phoneix too. But Philly isn't a realistic option, for either party precisely because Cousins won't want to go there. You don't trade for players who vehemently don't want to play for you, especially when you've been purposely fielding a team of scrubs just to lose as many games as possible and you trade anyone who could make you a little too good.

Part of the hidden costs of the Philly experiment. Players around the league really don't like what Philly is doing, and for that reason I doubt they get anyone to sign there until all the losing produces serious, winning results. And in trades the same applies. You don't trade for a guy of Cousins stature who doesn't want to play for you, especially when he's as volatile as Cousins. Not until they have a good team with talent to spare. They don't have that right now.
Hinkie is looking for a star to build around.  If none of the Sixers young players show star potential and Cousins comes on the market next offseason, I think Hinkie would seriously consider trading for him.  Cousins would still have 2 years on his contract.  The Sixers would still have some picks and plenty of cap space to acquire additional talent.  They could put together a lineup like Jennings/DeRozan/Covington/Noel/Cousins and be competitive in the East.

Again, it seems like people are just ignoring the recent sac/philly trade. Philly will have the right to swap the next two years and will get sacs first in a couple of years. You would have to assume philly would ignore these obligations and pay cousins market? That's a lot
If it is Okafor, give back the right to swap, and a protected 1st that isn't too bad.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip