Author Topic: Major problem with Stern tonight  (Read 15210 times)

Re: Major problem with Stern tonight
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 12:35:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't believe when told what Danny and the Celtics response was about the blood, sweat, and tears that Stern basically said he didn't believe a word of it.

Why exactly would a President of Basketball Operations lie about something to save a bit of pocket change for a guy that'll be making about $20 million a year over the next 4 years?

If Danny had no response then that's one thing but Stern basically saying that Danny is lying is on television is not the way for a commissioner to conduct himself.

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 12:39:17 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I dont think its a problem with corruption... at least i hope not... but the past two games have been so poorly reffed, i am literally horse and unable to speak. About 6 minutes into the game I decided to keep a log of all the missed or botched calls made by the crew tonight. I noticed an interesting trend. In the closing minutes of the first, when the hawks went on an 8-1 run, there were 3 fouls called on the C"s, none on the hawks. From 9:43 to 4:58 in the second, when the hawks lead reached nine, there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. In the 4th quarter, right from the get go to the last 2:22 (When we began to intentionally foul), there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. Funny how their runs correspond with the foul pattern, isn't it.

Violet Palmer SUCKS

Whoever this crew was tonight SUCKS

If I don't see some gray hair on at least 1 of the crew members, I know we're gonna get screwed. My analysis above doesn't even include the myriad travels and offensive fouls that were not called on the hawks. I am disgusted.

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I didn't like his answer on defining "menacing gesture", but what I thought was even worse was how he "protected" stu jackson when sheryl (i know the sp is of on that) miller tried to get stu to answer ... "no, no. I'll answer for him ... um ... cause stu said so."

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I dont think its a problem with corruption... at least i hope not... but the past two games have been so poorly reffed, i am literally horse and unable to speak. About 6 minutes into the game I decided to keep a log of all the missed or botched calls made by the crew tonight. I noticed an interesting trend. In the closing minutes of the first, when the hawks went on an 8-1 run, there were 3 fouls called on the C"s, none on the hawks. From 9:43 to 4:58 in the second, when the hawks lead reached nine, there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. In the 4th quarter, right from the get go to the last 2:22 (When we began to intentionally foul), there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. Funny how their runs correspond with the foul pattern, isn't it.

Violet Palmer SUCKS

If I don't see some gray hair on at least 1 of the crew members, I know we're gonna get screwed. My analysis above doesn't even include the myriad travels and offensive fouls that were not called on the hawks. I am disgusted.
TP4U because I did the same thing and posted it in another thread. I'll repost it here:

-Garnett's 2nd foul on Smith on a layup. Garnett jumped out of Smith's way and never even touched the guy.

-The non goal tending call against the Hawks after the C's had laid the ball off the glass.

-Rondo's 2nd foul where Horford set a moving pick and was leaning in all at the same time but Rondo got called for touching Bibby while falling.

-Perk's first foul where ZAZA just flopped after Perk turned his upper body. Perks elbow wasn't with 4 inches of Pachulia.

- The non call on Childress for barreling over a set Big Baby on a drive from the far baseline.

- The non call on the contact on Cassell when he faked his man in the air and they guy landed on him while Sam continued to shoot.

- ZAZA not getting ejected for making an obvious flagrant "menacing gesture" of headbutting KG and then the refs going to the Atlanta tv feed to review the confrontation.

- Non calls on Pachulia going over the top on the offensive boards about three times in a row.

- Non calls on Bibby constantly pushing off with his lead arm.

And all this was within a ten minute span from 2 minutes left in the 1st to 4 minutes left in the 2nd. At that point I stopped writing.

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Violet Palmer SUCKS

I dont mean to be rude...but none of that has anything to do with this thread.  there is already multiple threads dealing with refs.

this has to do with the fact that the commisioner handled the situation in a horrible manner.

as nickagneta said, and my original post said, the fact that he dismissed the matter before even hearing an appeal is a horrible way of flaunting an abuse of power.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
I dont think its a problem with corruption... at least i hope not... but the past two games have been so poorly reffed, i am literally horse and unable to speak. About 6 minutes into the game I decided to keep a log of all the missed or botched calls made by the crew tonight. I noticed an interesting trend. In the closing minutes of thyese first, when the hawks went on an 8-1 run, there were 3 fouls called on the C"s, none on the hawks. From 9:43 to 4:58 in the second, when the hawks lead reached nine, there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. In the 4th quarter, right from the get go to the last 2:22 (When we began to intentionally foul), there were 4 calls on the C's, 1 on the hawks. Funny how their runs correspond with the foul pattern, isn't it.

Violet Palmer SUCKS

I dont mean to be rude...but none of that has anything to do with this thread.  there is already multiple threads dealing with refs.

this has to do with the fact that the commisioner handled the situation in a horrible manner.

as nickagneta said, and my original post said, the fact that he dismissed the matter before even hearing an appeal is a horrible way of flaunting an abuse of power.

yes. I realized that as soon as i posted. my fault.

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:53 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I didn't like his answer on defining "menacing gesture", but what I thought was even worse was how he "protected" stu jackson when sheryl (i know the sp is of on that) miller tried to get stu to answer ... "no, no. I'll answer for him ... um ... cause stu said so."

yea the whole series of events was a joke.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 12:56:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Yeah, my bad too yall. I'm so peeved I forget what thread I'm in.

But to tie it in, when Dickerson asked about what he thought of the near fight and hand gestures, he said that he just wanted his players to be playing basketball and not all that other stuff.

But he never mentioned what he thought about the way the refs handled it. If ever there was an opportunity to praise his refs for the handling of calming down the situation and the handling by the refs in these matters as a whole this was that opportunity.

Stern said nothing but "Oh we'll review it. We'll review it tonight, tomorrow. We always review it."

Well David if you are always reviewing games then how in the world can't you see just how bad the referees are and how in many cases they are responsible for altercations because they are not doing their job properly.

If a tech was called on Horford last night maybe Pierce doesn't get up and maybe the bad feelings subside a little. But because the refs botched it last night they left a mess for the refs doing the game tonight. That altercation between ZaZa and KG was as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow.

Come on Stern how about you start to address the larger issues with your game and stop pointing the finger at the players when things mess up because you have incompetent refs who don't know how to properly call and control a game.

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2008, 01:06:08 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Yeah, my bad too yall. I'm so peeved I forget what thread I'm in.

But to tie it in, when Dickerson asked about what he thought of the near fight and hand gestures, he said that he just wanted his players to be playing basketball and not all that other stuff.

But he never mentioned what he thought about the way the refs handled it. If ever there was an opportunity to praise his refs for the handling of calming down the situation and the handling by the refs in these matters as a whole this was that opportunity.

Stern said nothing but "Oh we'll review it. We'll review it tonight, tomorrow. We always review it."

Well David if you are always reviewing games then how in the world can't you see just how bad the referees are and how in many cases they are responsible for altercations because they are not doing their job properly.

If a tech was called on Horford last night maybe Pierce doesn't get up and maybe the bad feelings subside a little. But because the refs botched it last night they left a mess for the refs doing the game tonight. That altercation between ZaZa and KG was as predictable as the sun rising tomorrow.

Come on Stern how about you start to address the larger issues with your game and stop pointing the finger at the players when things mess up because you have incompetent refs who don't know how to properly call and control a game.

I think stern and the refs have let the playoffs get out of hand in terms of the physical play.  I am not talking solely about this series.  I am including the cavs/wizards, and even some of the western games (kidd with pargo, dampier's two handed shove of c paul when he was in the air..).  I cant remember so many times when guys were swinging freely at other players, on layups and generally trying to inflict pain (not necessarily injury, but pain).  Thats a problem.  I think stern and co. need to focus more on getting guys to dial that down a bit before you have fights rather then focusing on a hand gesture (and the fact that pierce's supposed gang sign got the same punishment as stevensons throat slash is just stupid). 

as you said, the kg thing was incredibly obvious that it was going to happen, zaza tried desperately to escalate it by bumping heads, and then someone (i think joe johnson) pushed cassell and he started to go after him.  thats a problem.  stern needs to get his refs back to focusing on their priorities.

and allowing myself to go on the tangent that i criticized you guys for, the reffing has been bad...but even with that the c's should be in a better situation then they are.  they need to remember what got them here, and that is defense and not jacking up 30 threes in a game. 

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I can honestly say that there is somewhat of a conspiracy in the NBA....... My theory is that Stern wants the Celtics-Hawks series to match the Detroit-Sixers series and has told his refs to do so..... why else would he be at the game tonight?I don't think he wanted one team ( the Celtics) to have an advantage once the teams meet...... it also adds some more drama to the playoffs in the east ( which have been pretty bland so far ).....

Hey, if refs can bet on games, Stern can definately be controlling the outcomes of games.

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 07:18:22 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
If I'm having to pay $25,000 for a "menacing gesture" then I'd make it worth the money and make it "The Finger" Know what I'm sayin?

anyone else kinda freaked out by this exchange between dickerson and stern?
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:47 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
First, let me say i'm not saying anything funny went down last night, other than us playing down to a inferoir team. but this exchange had my apartment going "did...did he really just say that?"

GD: It must be nice for you to see basketball back in atlanta.

Stern: well this is a proud city and a great francishe, and its nice to see this passion back

GD: Well, no disrespect to atlanta, but hopefully this is the last they see of thier team this year, boston fans are getting alittle nervous

Stern: (with trade mark stern smirk) you guys are going to be fine.

I'm not saying he said "were calling this one for the hawks...you get your turn wensday" but consdiering this was after the 8 foul calls in 6 minutes at the end of the 1st quarter, it raised some eyebrows and outrage around my apartment lol.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I can honestly say that there is somewhat of a conspiracy in the NBA....... My theory is that Stern wants the Celtics-Hawks series to match the Detroit-Sixers series and has told his refs to do so..... why else would he be at the game tonight?I don't think he wanted one team ( the Celtics) to have an advantage once the teams meet...... it also adds some more drama to the playoffs in the east ( which have been pretty bland so far ).....

Hey, if refs can bet on games, Stern can definately be controlling the outcomes of games.

he was at the game because a team that hasnt been to the playoffs in a long time is there now.  additionally, most people expected the hawks to lose last night and not return to atlanta.  it should have been his only chance to see them in the playoffs in atlanta.

it is pretty silly to think he is having people guide the series in one way or the other.

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
you didnt hear it right.  dickerson asked stern if we would be seeing him in boston anytime soon.

stern was essentially saying that we would be all right (in terms of, it looks like you guys are moving on so i have time).  dickerson was prodding him that the celtics will be there for game 5 and stern was essentially saying why should i go to game 5 when you will have more playoff games.  if anything, if i was a hawks fan i would be annoyed that he basically implied he expected the c's to win without needing to come back to atl.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
stern also apparently got into an animated discussion with ainge before the game regarding the menacing gesture.

Before last night’s game, Ainge sought out commissioner David Stern in the press room and the two engaged in an animated discussion. Ainge was clearly seen trying to demonstrate the blood, sweat and tears sign that Pierce makes when he is introduced before games.

from the herald