Author Topic: Have the Celtics Chosen a direction?  (Read 1129 times)

Have the Celtics Chosen a direction?
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:59:22 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Celtics appear to be losing Kyrie, Horford, Morris and have traded Baynes. The only guy they currently project to have on the roster next year over the age of 26 is Gordon Hayward (30 in March)

Jaylen (23 in October)
Smart (26 in March)
Tatum (22 in March)
Langford (20 in October)
R Williams (22 in October)
Yabuselle (24 In December)
Semi (25 in December)
G Williams (21 In November)
Rozier (26 in March)
Edwards (22 in March)

In addition they now have the 2020 1-7 protected MIL pick, the 2020 1-6 protected MEM and their own picks moving forward. In short, they have essentially no veteran leadership right now, they are likely losing at least 4 of their top 9 rotation players from last year (Irving, Al, Morris, Baynes) and will thus have minutes to fill, they have a mismatched roster heavy on 2,3,4 type players but light at PG (if Rozier leaves) and C.

So whats my point? This is a classic example of what a rebuilding roster looks like. All youth, picking upside guys over need pick in the draft, not caring about roster balance, cheep contracts, big roles or young guys who may not have the skills to fill them yet (so chances for development). The only thing we are missing is veterans on bloated contracts filling out the end off the bench (in exchange for giving us picks). But with between 27-35 million in cap space that could be coming. In short the Celtics have picked a direction, albeit after being forced. They are rebuilding, for better or worse.

Re: Have the Celtics Chosen a direction?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 01:05:58 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
So who's the captain on this team now that Irving and Horford are gone?

Brown, Smart, Tatum, or Hayward.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Youth movement.

The team is all about Jay and Jay now, but the leader of the team for the time being is Marcus Smart.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:12:17 AM »

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Marcus Freakin Smart baby!!
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 01:16:25 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we'll have to revisit this during and after the free agency. This could change significantly if we let Rozier go and go after someone like Vucevic or Kemba.

Or, we could let Rozier go and go after D-Lo, which would be even further towards a youth movement
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 01:16:52 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
So who's the captain on this team now that Irving and Horford are gone?

Brown, Smart, Tatum, or Hayward.

Smart was the de-facto emotional leader of the team last year, and I think he'll definitely be it next year, too.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I think we'll have to revisit this during and after the free agency. This could change significantly if we let Rozier go and go after someone like Vucevic or Kemba.

Or, we could let Rozier go and go after D-Lo, which would be even further towards a youth movement

We arent getting Kemba. First of all what the Hornets could offer is like 70 million more than any other team can offer. If Kemba turns that down its because he going somewhere with immediate contention in mind. Also he is 29 years old, dont wnat to pay a small PG max money for age 29-32 seasons. Thats dangerous.