Author Topic: Bad Contracts for Assets?  (Read 3517 times)

Re: Bad Contracts for Assets?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Another team you left off is OKC — they’re on pace for a tax bill in excess of $50 million again.  Steven Adams is overpaid, but at the same time is useful.  Take him this year, get multiple picks for him, and next offseason he’s an expiring that can match up one-for-one in terms of salaries with whatever stars come on the trade market before next year’s draft.

This would definitely be for future picks.  OKC owes protected 1sts to Philly in 2020 and Atlanta in 2022.  But between all the picks this year and the Memphis pick that will come soon, a first many years away would be a reasonable asset to acquire.  I’d say a second-rounder in 2020 or 2021, and the 2024 unprotected are fair.  Giving them Baynes limits the loss of production somewhat, and saves OKC about $100 million in salary and taxes.

Absolutely fine with future picks.  This team is back to a place where it needs to maximize assets and flexibility.

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So our cap space with the Rozier cap hold is now very, very similar to Stevens Adams contract. I like the Adams idea better than Vuc for example. Center is the one position I dont think you wnat to invest max (or near max) in for a full 4 years. A two year Adams contract ends the same year Hayward's would, and the same year Tatum becomes a cap hold. Adams is a role player who doesn't require the same touches as Vuc would, more room to grow for the youth. Plus, I feel like Celtics fans would love.

Thoughts?

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
So our cap space with the Rozier cap hold is now very, very similar to Stevens Adams contract. I like the Adams idea better than Vuc for example. Center is the one position I dont think you wnat to invest max (or near max) in for a full 4 years. A two year Adams contract ends the same year Hayward's would, and the same year Tatum becomes a cap hold. Adams is a role player who doesn't require the same touches as Vuc would, more room to grow for the youth. Plus, I feel like Celtics fans would love.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I like Adams better for 2 years than Vucevic for 4 years. Keep that future cap flexibility to try and get a more talented player down the road.

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Thoughts?

I agree that Adams would help. However, for the sake of forming a well-rounded roster, I either want the Celtics to take on *a couple* bad contracts that have two years left on them, or sign guys to short-term overpay type of contracts that wouldn't handcuff our cap and could be used in a trade situation.

In short, I'm afraid to throw all the money at one guy when: (1) Our team has multiple needs still, (2) the money could be better used in two years.

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2019, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The advantage of Adams is he'd be a huge expiring when we may be looking for that 3rd star alongside the Jays

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The advantage of Adams is he'd be a huge expiring when we may be looking for that 3rd star alongside the Jays

I mistakenly thought Adams had three years left on his contract. I think this is a good point, I agree!