Author Topic: Bad Contracts for Assets?  (Read 3527 times)

Re: Bad Contracts for Assets?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes, I’ve thought of this too.  I’d be happy to have Olynyk back on the team, and if we could get a pick (I wouldn’t expect #13 for him, however) that would be fine.  I also wouldn’t mind Evan Turner returning — that worked well the first time around.

Another team you left off is OKC — they’re on pace for a tax bill in excess of $50 million again.  Steven Adams is overpaid, but at the same time is useful.  Take him this year, get multiple picks for him, and next offseason he’s an expiring that can match up one-for-one in terms of salaries with whatever stars come on the trade market before next year’s draft.

It did???

Yes.

News to me. I remember him being turnover prone and awful in the playoffs. And now he's being paid $17 million/yr? Pass.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Yes, I’ve thought of this too.  I’d be happy to have Olynyk back on the team, and if we could get a pick (I wouldn’t expect #13 for him, however) that would be fine.  I also wouldn’t mind Evan Turner returning — that worked well the first time around.

Another team you left off is OKC — they’re on pace for a tax bill in excess of $50 million again.  Steven Adams is overpaid, but at the same time is useful.  Take him this year, get multiple picks for him, and next offseason he’s an expiring that can match up one-for-one in terms of salaries with whatever stars come on the trade market before next year’s draft.

It did???

Yes.

News to me. I remember him being turnover prone and awful in the playoffs. And now he's being paid $17 million/yr? Pass.

Maybe Turner got paid that much, because he wasn't as bad as you remember him to be?

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

It did???

Yes.

What is it with you and really disliking old Celtic players? Lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Like the Adams idea, but also get multiple picks from OKC to take him? Did I understand this correctly?

Have you looked at Adams’ contract and OKC’s tax situation? 2 years, $53 million left plus a trade kicker.  Meanwhile, OKC just paid $60 million in luxury tax, will likely be near that number again next year with no moves, and have a pretty good chance of being in the tax in 2021 at their current pace.

Moving Adams should be costly to OKC.  I do think that sending Baynes back to OKC as part of the deal would make some sense (Danny’s supposed promise to Baynes notwithstanding) for both sides, but if Ainge just got Adams bloated deal for nothing more than a distant second, I would be disappointed.

If Baynes is all right with such a move (and in fairness, why wouldn't he rather want to play in Oklahoma) then that would be bloody brilliant. But OKC doesn't have many assets. Ferguson (who scores only 6,9 PPG) is their praised youngster  ;D , and he's below Huerter, Beasley, Shamet or Kennard in talent level. So picks is what we need (and perhaps Abdel Nader back ;) ).

Not much interest in the #21 pick in this draft, we have enough picks this year. (Unprotected) picks for '20 and '22 (without George?!) could be a good haul. Like the Memphis pick we have, very valuable down the road, but you have to wait a while.

This would definitely be for future picks.  OKC owes protected 1sts to Philly in 2020 and Atlanta in 2022.  But between all the picks this year and the Memphis pick that will come soon, a first many years away would be a reasonable asset to acquire.  I’d say a second-rounder in 2020 or 2021, and the 2024 unprotected are fair.  Giving them Baynes limits the loss of production somewhat, and saves OKC about $100 million in salary and taxes.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 02:41:06 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Like the Adams idea, but also get multiple picks from OKC to take him? Did I understand this correctly?

Have you looked at Adams’ contract and OKC’s tax situation? 2 years, $53 million left plus a trade kicker.  Meanwhile, OKC just paid $60 million in luxury tax, will likely be near that number again next year with no moves, and have a pretty good chance of being in the tax in 2021 at their current pace.

Moving Adams should be costly to OKC.  I do think that sending Baynes back to OKC as part of the deal would make some sense (Danny’s supposed promise to Baynes notwithstanding) for both sides, but if Ainge just got Adams bloated deal for nothing more than a distant second, I would be disappointed.

If Baynes is all right with such a move (and in fairness, why wouldn't he rather want to play in Oklahoma) then that would be bloody brilliant. But OKC doesn't have many assets. Ferguson (who scores only 6,9 PPG) is their praised youngster  ;D , and he's below Huerter, Beasley, Shamet or Kennard in talent level. So picks is what we need (and perhaps Abdel Nader back ;) ).

Not much interest in the #21 pick in this draft, we have enough picks this year. (Unprotected) picks for '20 and '22 (without George?!) could be a good haul. Like the Memphis pick we have, very valuable down the road, but you have to wait a while.

This would definitely be for future picks. OKC owes protected 1sts to Philly in 2020 and Atlanta in 2022.  But between all the picks this year and the Memphis pick that will come soon, a first many years away would be a reasonable asset to acquire.  I’d say a second-rounder in 2020 or 2021, and the 2024 unprotected are fair.  Giving them Baynes limits the loss of production somewhat, and saves OKC about $100 million in salary and taxes.

Okay, I didn't know OKC already owed picks. But your proposed offer seems fair.

2024 is a long time, but could be worth the wait.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

It did???

Yes.

Maybe Turner got paid that much, because he wasn't as bad as you remember him to be?

Or maybe he got overpaid?

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

It did???

Yes.

I loved all the Celts players from 2007-12 (though I was never a big Rondo fan.) Wasn't really a fan of any particular player during the 2013-2016 rebuild years. I really liked Horford and really liked the players on this year's team. It's sucks that the team never got along. Considering AD never wanted to be a Celtic, it also sucks that Ainge didn't do anything to help the team out at the trade deadline.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

It did???

Yes.

I loved all the Celts players from 2007-12 (though I was never a big Rondo fan.) Wasn't really a fan of any particular player during the 2013-2016 rebuild years. I really liked Horford and really liked the players on this year's team. It's sucks that the team never got along. Considering AD never wanted to be a Celtic, it also sucks that Ainge didn't do anything to help the team out at the trade deadline.

I feel the same way, it sucks that AD didn't want to come here, but I always felt like Paul George would've been a better fit than Hayward. But oh well, stuff happens... I just hope we can find another big similar to Al Horford.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

It did???

Yes.

Or maybe he got overpaid?

Of course he got overpaid, but the reason Portland did that was because Turned played very well as a 6th man in Boston.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:55 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I feel like there are ways you could get creative with this as well. Maybe the celtics acquire a pick with the immediate intention of packaging it and moving up? For example if we took on Batum and got number 12 from charlotte then three that together with 14 and how high could we get? Maybe we go after Garland at 4 or 5 without giving up Smart. Not sure Charlotte would do that but something like that. Generally I think packaging picks to move up doesnt often work but Garland would be a great fit on this team. We need a future PG, and shooting.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 03:21:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Of course he got overpaid, but the reason Portland did that was because Turned played very well as a 6th man in Boston.
And the cap spike in 2016 was timed such that if they didn't spend it Lillard/Mccollum's extensions would delete it the next off season.

It was a bad deal in an overheated market. Sour 16 indeed.

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

This would definitely be for future picks. OKC owes protected 1sts to Philly in 2020 and Atlanta in 2022.  But between all the picks this year and the Memphis pick that will come soon, a first many years away would be a reasonable asset to acquire.  I’d say a second-rounder in 2020 or 2021, and the 2024 unprotected are fair.  Giving them Baynes limits the loss of production somewhat, and saves OKC about $100 million in salary and taxes.

I hadn't thought of OKC, but I do like this Adam's idea. Getting a distant pick from a team with a declining Russell and post prime PG (if hes even there) could be valuable, and OKC might do it just because of the massive savings.   All that assuming you get favorable protections.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I hadn't thought of OKC, but I do like this Adam's idea. Getting a distant pick from a team with a declining Russell and post prime PG (if hes even there) could be valuable, and OKC might do it just because of the massive savings.   All that assuming you get favorable protections.

Plus if Baynes is going back there it’s like a poor man Adams on a much cheaper contract, but I think the only reason Baynes opted in wasn’t so he could be traded.

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Plus if Baynes is going back there it’s like a poor man Adams on a much cheaper contract, but I think the only reason Baynes opted in wasn’t so he could be traded.

But I doubt Baynes thought he'd immediately see Irving and Horford leave.

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 04:44:33 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

This would definitely be for future picks.  OKC owes protected 1sts to Philly in 2020 and Atlanta in 2022.  But between all the picks this year and the Memphis pick that will come soon, a first many years away would be a reasonable asset to acquire.  I’d say a second-rounder in 2020 or 2021, and the 2024 unprotected are fair.  Giving them Baynes limits the loss of production somewhat, and saves OKC about $100 million in salary and taxes.

Wish I could argue it... but not against this idea.