Author Topic: The Green Kornet  (Read 2152 times)

Re: The Green Kornet
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 08:36:05 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 628
Couple other compliments to Luke. He’s always alert and he’s got good court awareness. Quick to spot and feed teammates in the lane and off rebounds. He knows when to go to the hoop and has good hands receiving passes inside.  If he was asked to shoot, I think he’d shoot well.  Overall, I think he’s better than Rob - and I really liked Rob.  Rob had higher ceiling, but won’t reach it.

I like Luke, always have. He’s been under appreciated on this board and has shown near constant improvement. I agree with all the positive attributes u mention except….no way is he better than Rob. Actually, the positive attributes u mention for Luke are the same for Rob, just more. Rob, at his best while playing in Boston, was a game changer. Teams and coaches needed to plan for him and often had no answer for him. Availability and consistency change that calculus, but given Rob’s best day vs Luke’s best day, it’s not a contest.

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2024, 01:23:21 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2560
Couple other compliments to Luke. He’s always alert and he’s got good court awareness. Quick to spot and feed teammates in the lane and off rebounds. He knows when to go to the hoop and has good hands receiving passes inside.  If he was asked to shoot, I think he’d shoot well.  Overall, I think he’s better than Rob - and I really liked Rob.  Rob had higher ceiling, but won’t reach it.

I like Luke, always have. He’s been under appreciated on this board and has shown near constant improvement. I agree with all the positive attributes u mention except….no way is he better than Rob. Actually, the positive attributes u mention for Luke are the same for Rob, just more. Rob, at his best while playing in Boston, was a game changer. Teams and coaches needed to plan for him and often had no answer for him. Availability and consistency change that calculus, but given Rob’s best day vs Luke’s best day, it’s not a contest.

Yes, Rob’s best day v. Luke’s goes to Rob pretty easily.  Who I’d want on my team heading into next season? Probably Luke. As I said, Rob’s ceiling was higher, but he won’t reach it. I’m incorporating availability and today’s Rob, not Rob at his best. Even if he avoids another injury - he already seems to have peaked and declined. I’m thinking we’re better off today having Luke than Rob (not just because Rob is presently injured). 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 01:31:37 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2024, 04:46:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402
Outperforming his $2m contract right now for sure.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2024, 08:46:21 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup
If the Most Improved Player went by multiples of rate of impact Luke probably would win.  Let's say a rate of impact would go from a 0 in JD Davidson to a 10 in Nikola Jokic.  Your average award winner probably goes from from a 4 or 5 to an 8 (or doubles their rate of of impact).  Kornet went from a 1 or 2 to probably a 4, so maybe he tripled his impact. 

Does that make any sense?

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who had similar rates of impact improvement though. 
Yup

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2024, 10:05:15 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
If the Most Improved Player went by multiples of rate of impact Luke probably would win.  Let's say a rate of impact would go from a 0 in JD Davidson to a 10 in Nikola Jokic.  Your average award winner probably goes from from a 4 or 5 to an 8 (or doubles their rate of of impact).  Kornet went from a 1 or 2 to probably a 4, so maybe he tripled his impact. 

Does that make any sense?

I'm sure there are plenty of guys who had similar rates of impact improvement though.

Yeah, what he’s done this year isn’t all that rare from an improvement one year to the next kind of thing.  What’s unusual is he made his leap from year 6 to 7.  It’s also not like he got better in one thing, either.  He’s shooting a little bit better.  He’s rebounding a little bit better.  He’s turning it over a bit less.  He’s getting a few more steals and blocks.  It just kind of shows how thin the line is from being a deep bench player to being a useful reserve is.  Luke has crossed that line this year by getting a little bit better at everything he does.

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2024, 10:55:22 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1214

Yes, Rob’s best day v. Luke’s goes to Rob pretty easily.  Who I’d want on my team heading into next season? Probably Luke. As I said, Rob’s ceiling was higher, but he won’t reach it. I’m incorporating availability and today’s Rob, not Rob at his best. Even if he avoids another injury - he already seems to have peaked and declined. I’m thinking we’re better off today having Luke than Rob (not just because Rob is presently injured).

If they're both getting paid the same, give me Rob. Nothing against Luke, but you can find plenty of other guys to give you similar production, while Rob is a game changer when he's healthy. Rob plus a replacement level big would be worse at times, but would have times when they were so much better that it would offset it and then some

Of course, that's assuming he gets back to playing at least 50% of the time. If this year is a sign of things to come, then unfortunately he probably isn't even worth the minimum anymore.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2024, 11:01:02 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483

If they're both getting paid the same, give me Rob. Nothing against Luke, but you can find plenty of other guys to give you similar production, while Rob is a game changer when he's healthy. Rob plus a replacement level big would be worse at times, but would have times when they were so much better that it would offset it and then some

Of course, that's assuming he gets back to playing at least 50% of the time. If this year is a sign of things to come, then unfortunately he probably isn't even worth the minimum anymore.

+100  Rob is hands down the much more talented player.  His issue is his body and injuries.  When he was healthy there were stretches he'd dominate.  He brings an element to your team that not many players in the NBA can do.  Now I'm no knocking what Kornet has done.  In the beginning of the year he was terrible.  As the season went on he got consistent time and developed into the role the team needed and has thrived.  Rebound, play D and move the ball.  Roll to the rim and create space for anyone who drives.  He's a legit lob threat and has to be accounted for.  Good on him to develop and earn a nice contract for next year.  He's priced himself off of the C's but that's what Queta's for. 

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2024, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3773
  • Yup

+100  Rob is hands down the much more talented player.  His issue is his body and injuries.  When he was healthy there were stretches he'd dominate.  He brings an element to your team that not many players in the NBA can do.  Now I'm no knocking what Kornet has done.  In the beginning of the year he was terrible.  As the season went on he got consistent time and developed into the role the team needed and has thrived.  Rebound, play D and move the ball.  Roll to the rim and create space for anyone who drives.  He's a legit lob threat and has to be accounted for.  Good on him to develop and earn a nice contract for next year.  He's priced himself off of the C's but that's what Queta's for.

The old cliche about availability being the best ability...
Yup