Poll

What scoring option will Jaylen Brown be on this team next year?

Clear #1
1 (1.5%)
#1A
2 (3%)
#1B
8 (12.1%)
#1C
7 (10.6%)
Clear #2
7 (10.6%)
#2A
7 (10.6%)
#2B
10 (15.2%)
Clear #3
24 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: Can Jaylen Brown be a #1 scoring option as early as next year?(Poll)  (Read 7540 times)

Re: Can Jaylen Brown be a #1 scoring option as early as next year?(Poll)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2018, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Having so many players who could be first options on offense is a great problem to have, but it is going to require a very delicate balance of sharing the basketball.  Golden State is obviously the model for how to accomplish this.

Agreed.  And it gives Stevens more lineups to use. Being able to give Irving/Hayward/Hordford rest will be big given Hordord is on the older side, and Hayward and Irving are going to be entering the season coming off season ending injuries. That will be big in the beginning of the season, especially for Hayward who will need to get a feel for the game again.

If Tatum can make the same leap Brown did, this team shouldn't have scoring slumps when Irving goes to the bench.

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2018, 07:33:49 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Having so many players who could be first options on offense is a great problem to have, but it is going to require a very delicate balance of sharing the basketball.  Golden State is obviously the model for how to accomplish this.

Agreed.  And it gives Stevens more lineups to use. Being able to give Irving/Hayward/Hordford rest will be big given Hordord is on the older side, and Hayward and Irving are going to be entering the season coming off season ending injuries. That will be big in the beginning of the season, especially for Hayward who will need to get a feel for the game again.

If Tatum can make the same leap Brown did, this team shouldn't have scoring slumps when Irving goes to the bench.

I've mentioned before that pace is going to be extremely important next year.  During the regular season we should become an efficient 110+ PPG team.  Horford should also cut back on his minutes during the regular season.

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
#1, no.

I voted Clear #3, but I could hear an argument for #2B.  Also, he could be the outright #2 depending on Hayward's health.  There's a small-but-real chance that Hayward is never the same.  There's a larger chance that Hayward returns to form, but takes significant time - possibly as much as the whole season - to get there.  In either of those cases, we probably see Brown as the second-leading scorer for much of the '18-'19 season. 

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2018, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Jaylen is number one on this present team and he's only 21. Jaylen also is one of our best defenders. This kid is a monster and he'll only get more monstrous as he goes!

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
I think he has a serious shot at being Most Improved Player this year. He was always a good defender but he's gone to the next level this year. He's developed into a credible outside threat and his free throw shooting has improved, which is good as he draws a lot of fouls when he goes inside. If he can improve his handle he would be a very dangerous player.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 01:36:00 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
So here is something scary... Jaylen's Second year in the postseason is very similar to Haywards postseason run last year... 

Judging by the way he is leading us in the postseason this year, Why is it hard to see him as a number option next year... 

He may be better than Gordon by the end of next year if not sooner (and that is no slight to Gordon)

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 01:49:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
So here is something scary... Jaylen's Second year in the postseason is very similar to Haywards postseason run last year... 

Judging by the way he is leading us in the postseason this year, Why is it hard to see him as a number option next year... 

He may be better than Gordon by the end of next year if not sooner (and that is no slight to Gordon)
I don't think so. Gordon Hayward is on the same level as Paul George offensively.

The main distinguishing feature is Hayward is a considerably better mid-range shooter and passer. If Brown can develop those aspects of his game to Hayward's level, with his athleticism, he'd be unstoppable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:57 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's good to have multiple scoring options now unlike last season, where our only scoring option was through Isaiah Thomas.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 02:09:58 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

I don't think so. Gordon Hayward is on the same level as Paul George offensively.

The main distinguishing feature is Hayward is a considerably better mid-range shooter and passer. If Brown can develop those aspects of his game to Hayward's level, with his athleticism, he'd be unstoppable

I don't think Brown will ever be a Real passer/ playmaker... I think he is a Gun in the mold of Kobe and Nique...  I think his elite Athleticism and his ability to Get to the rim against anyone is what makes him Special... I agree with GH being in the Paul George area offensively... But I think Brown is trending toward K Leonard.. which in my opinion is higher the PG... 

But time will tell..,  He still has work to do but man.. This is only his Second year... He is only 21 years old...  To even sniff GH at this point in his Career says a ton about where this kid is headed.

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 02:42:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't think Brown will ever be a Real passer/ playmaker... I think he is a Gun in the mold of Kobe and Nique...  I think his elite Athleticism and his ability to Get to the rim against anyone is what makes him Special... I agree with GH being in the Paul George area offensively... But I think Brown is trending toward K Leonard.. which in my opinion is higher the PG... 

But time will tell..,  He still has work to do but man.. This is only his Second year... He is only 21 years old...  To even sniff GH at this point in his Career says a ton about where this kid is headed.
Oh yeah, I agree. I really think the sky is the limit for him. I just think it might take a bit longer because he won't get that many touches next year.

The beauty of Hayward is he can play anything from a 1st option to a 3rd, and make everyone around him better.

Our young wings + Hayward and Irving are going to be a devastating core for years to come
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 05:10:06 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
On this team he’s #3.

On most lottery teams he’d be #1, averaging 22+ per night.

You mean like Klay Thompson?

I’ll take that.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think Kyrie will still be the most talented individual scorer on the team next season and he'll be bringing the ball up so he'll be the clear #1. Hayward is a better playmaker than either Brown or Tatum so he'll be the #2 option but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually winds up taking fewer shots than Jalen or Jayson or both.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works next year. I can see all 4 guys averaging between 18-21 ppg, with Horford just slinging that ball around.

Jaylen's growth has been terrific to watch. Eventually, the goal for him will be to be a better playmaker and I can see him having a Paul Pierce kind of development ark in that respect. Tatum as well, though I think Tatum has shown better vision that Jaylen so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I can see all 4 guys averaging between 18-21 ppg

I'm curious, has any team ever had four guys average 18+ points per game?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

In game one we had 4 players 20 plus points and Tatum with 19

In a season... I can easily envision these figures
KI 22
GH  18
JB 18
JT 16
MM 14
AH 12
Rst of bench 15 to 20.

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

The Celtics did it in 1960, but in modern basketball, I don't know of anyone. The '87 Lakers had 4 guys average better than 17, which is the closest I've found.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008