Author Topic: Jeter One Vote Short of Unanimous First Ballot Entry to HOF  (Read 11031 times)

Jeter One Vote Short of Unanimous First Ballot Entry to HOF
« on: January 21, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm no Yankee fan, but was very surprised Jeter was not inducted by unanimous vote. Rivera received unanimous vote. Jeters' career resume is very impressive. 

https://nypost.com/2020/01/21/derek-jeter-elected-to-baseball-hall-of-fame-stunningly-misses-unanimous-vote/

Wonder who the hold out was? I hope not a Red Sox reporter.

Re: Jeter One Vote Short of Unanimous First Ballot Entry to HOF
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 06:44:58 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I take all the HOF stuff with a grain of salt, as it's been a strange proposition from the very beginning—I mean, Babe Ruth was somehow not a unanimous selection. How is that possible?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I take all the HOF stuff with a grain of salt, as it's been a strange proposition from the very beginning—I mean, Babe Ruth was somehow not a unanimous selection. How is that possible?
Completely agree. That a relief pitcher was the only unanimous vote into the Hall and that happened after the league was well over 100 years old and after relief pitchers were looked at like kickers are in football for most of the history of the sport, is just strange. The idiotic politicking amongst sportswriters and the grudges they would hold against players throughout the Hall voting is pathetic.

Babe Ruth?
Ted Williams?
Cy Young?
Willie Mays?
Hank Aaron?
Sandy Koufax?
Jackie Robinson?

Somehow these guys weren't unanimous choices? Unreal!!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Baseball writers have been notorious for that practice for years.

"Sure, he's a HOFer but he's not a first ballot HOFer."

Ummm...okay?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Completely agree. That a relief pitcher was the only unanimous vote into the Hall and that happened after the league was well over 100 years old and after relief pitchers were looked at like kickers are in football for most of the history of the sport, is just strange. The idiotic politicking amongst sportswriters and the grudges they would hold against players throughout the Hall voting is pathetic.

Babe Ruth?
Ted Williams?
Cy Young?
Willie Mays?
Hank Aaron?
Sandy Koufax?
Jackie Robinson?

Somehow these guys weren't unanimous choices? Unreal!!!!

Yup, absolutely ridiculous.

Baseball writers have been notorious for that practice for years.

"Sure, he's a HOFer but he's not a first ballot HOFer."

Ummm...okay?

I agree—either someone's a Hall of Famer or they're not (Bert Blyleven and Craig Biggio are NOT!). ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
HOF and who does/doesn’t get in is the least interesting thing in sports IMO.  Honestly could not care less.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 07:19:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The HOF is ridiculous. Way too many mediocre players, and more gain traction every year.

Omar Vizquel is likely to be a Hall of Famer, but Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and plenty of others aren’t.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The HOF is ridiculous. Way too many mediocre players, and more gain traction every year.

Omar Vizquel is likely to be a Hall of Famer, but Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds and plenty of others aren’t.

Yeah, seems to be across sports too. 

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

not really. Sure some mediocre players get in in other sports but everyone who should be in is
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

not really. Sure some mediocre players get in in other sports but everyone who should be in is

I was referencing the mediocre player thing which is absolutely the case across sports.

The Bonds/Clemens/etc quandary really seems to be unique to baseball for obvious reasons. 

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:53 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
FWIW, and I know no one cares about my opinion, but I wouldn't vote Jeter into the HOF, myself.

My criteria is that a player should have dominated or transformed some aspect of the game for an extended period.   Was the player ever one of the overall best players in baseball?  Was he ever the best at his position in baseball for an extended period?  Was he ever one of the best hitters in baseball for an extended period?

Jeter stayed healthy and has some impressive inning, game and plate appearance totals (and some seasons with large counting totals as a result).  And his teams were so dominant that he played in a ton of post-season innings as well.   So kudos for staying healthy, and being a well-above average player on a dominant team in baseball's biggest market.

If that's enough for others to vote him in, that's fine.  I just don't agree.  *shrug*
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
FWIW, and I know no one cares about my opinion, but I wouldn't vote Jeter into the HOF, myself.

My criteria is that a player should have dominated or transformed some aspect of the game for an extended period.   Was the player ever one of the overall best players in baseball?  Was he ever the best at his position in baseball for an extended period?  Was he ever one of the best hitters in baseball for an extended period?

Jeter stayed healthy and has some impressive inning, game and plate appearance totals (and some seasons with large counting totals as a result).  And his teams were so dominant that he played in a ton of post-season innings as well.   So kudos for staying healthy, and being a well-above average player on a dominant team in baseball's biggest market.

If that's enough for others to vote him in, that's fine.  I just don't agree.  *shrug*

Being a 14-time All-Star probably gets you into the HOF in any sport. You’re right that he was never the most dominant SS, but he was usually in the top three.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 09:28:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I was referencing the mediocre player thing which is absolutely the case across sports.

The Bonds/Clemens/etc quandary really seems to be unique to baseball for obvious reasons.
it isn't just steroids though.  Shoeless Joe isn't in.  Rose isn't in.  etc.

Edit: and it isn't just gambling either.  Some of the greatest players at their position or their generation aren't in.  Lou Whitaker, Dick Allen, Jack Morris, Jim Rice, Roger Maris, Trevor Hoffman, etc.  And you can make arguments as to why none of them are, but they just ring hollow. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:35:52 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 09:37:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

it isn't just steroids though.  Shoeless Joe isn't in.  Rose isn't in.  etc.

Edit: and it isn't just gambling either.  Some of the greatest players at their position or their generation aren't in.  Lou Whitaker, Dick Allen, Jack Morris, Jim Rice, Roger Maris, Trevor Hoffman, etc.  And you can make arguments as to why none of them are, but they just ring hollow.

Jack Morris, Trevor Hoffman, & Jim Rice are all in the HOF.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 09:44:22 PM by Donoghus »

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:48:46 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Being a 14-time All-Star probably gets you into the HOF in any sport. You’re right that he was never the most dominant SS, but he was usually in the top three.

The two things in bold are tightly intertwined.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.