Author Topic: Tatum’s Promising Advanced Statistics  (Read 1926 times)

Tatum’s Promising Advanced Statistics
« on: September 17, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I recently watched a fantastic YouTube video (@AlexHoops) regarding Jayson Tatum and if he has the ability to become a true NBA superstar.

The author ran through Tatum’s advanced data from the 2020-21 season to analyse his progression.

Tatum last season averaged 27.1 Points Per 75 Possessions.

Tatum finished at the rim 73.1% and hit 38.6% of his three point shots.

Tatum can be frustrating, taking difficult shots, he ranks in the bottom 1% of the league in 3 point shot quality.

Tatum actually ranks in the top 1% of the NBA in 3 point shot making & perimeter shooting (alongside Curry, Lillard, Beal, Doncic).

Tatum drives to the rim an average of 12.7 times per 75 possessions, that is in the top 10% of the NBA.

Adjusted FG% at the rim comes in for Tatum at 68.63%

Tatum’s overall finishing talent, which is a score evaluating a players ability to get to, and score at the rim, comes in at + 1.8 for Tatum (Top 5% in NBA).

Tatum has improved his playmaking output every season in his career, going from 1.6 assists per game to 4.3 this season.

Tatum ranks in the top 1% of the NBA in ‘scoring gravity’. This is statistic that measures defensive attention, which opens up scoring opportunities for your teammates.

Tatum gets an 8.3 in ‘box creation’, this means he creates 8.3 open shots for his teammates per 100 possessions.

Tatum has impressive ‘impact metrics’, ranking in the top ten percentile of the NBA in LEBRON, RPM, RAPTOR, Luck Adjusted RPM and Box Plus Minus.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 05:19:47 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Tatum’s Promising Advanced Statistics
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I recently watched a fantastic YouTube video (@AlexHoops) regarding Jayson Tatum and if he has the ability to become a true NBA superstar.

The author ran through Tatum’s advanced data from the 2020-21 season to analyse his progression.

Tatum last season averaged 27.1 Points Per 75 Possessions.

Tatum finished at the rim 73.1% and hit 38.6% of his three point shots.

Tatum can be frustrating, taking difficult shots, he ranks in the bottom 1% of the league in 3 point shot quality.

Tatum actually ranks in the top 1% of the NBA in 3 point shot making & perimeter shooting (alongside Curry, Lillard, Beal, Doncic).

Tatum drives to the rim an average of 12.7 times per 75 possessions, that is in the top 10% of the NBA.

Adjusted FG% at the rim comes in for Tatum at 68.63%

Tatum’s overall finishing talent, which is a score evaluating a players ability to get to, and score at the rim, comes in at + 1.8 for Tatum (Top 5% in NBA).

Tatum has improved his playmaking output every season in his career, going from 1.6 assists per game to 4.3 this season.

Tatum ranks in the top 1% of the NBA in ‘scoring gravity’. This is statistic that measures defensive attention, which opens up scoring opportunities for your teammates.

Tatum gets an 8.3 in ‘box creation’, this means he creates 8.3 open shots for his teammates per 100 possessions.

Tatum has impressive ‘impact metrics’, ranking in the top ten percentile of the NBA in LEBRON, RPM, RAPTOR, Luck Adjusted RPM and Box Plus Minus.

That's why he will benefit from better teammates around him and those teammates will benefit from playing off of Tatum.   

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Great stats.

I think what will push Tatum into the next stratosphere will be if he can keep improving on his vision and playmaking, and he’s trending in the right direction. IMO, this is where he’s more than few steps ahead of JB, who can get tunnel vision (which isn’t so bad, considering JB is a super scorer in his own right).

I’m hopeful for an All-NBA berth for Tatum this year
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 11:26:27 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Great stats.

I think what will push Tatum into the next stratosphere will be if he can keep improving on his vision and playmaking, and he’s trending in the right direction. IMO, this is where he’s more than few steps ahead of JB, who can get tunnel vision (which isn’t so bad, considering JB is a super scorer in his own right).

I’m hopeful for an All-NBA berth for Tatum this year

TP

That’s almost verbatim what the original source stated haha

LilRip = AlexHoops
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 02:17:22 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Video here. Your welcome Ed lol.

https://youtu.be/AR_D483tzRM

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 02:38:35 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
2 things i want to see from him.  Improved assists, and getting to the line more.  He does those he is mvp consideration every year.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 03:06:51 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Keep in mind re: Tatum's #s, he was hampered many weeks after covid.

Then, he played the last month without JB, so our only other real offensive threat was an off and on Kemba.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Tatum will get MVP consideration if/when the Celtics are more successful winning games. 

But I could care less if Tatum or any other Celtic wins an MVP award.

I just want the team to succeed.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tatum will get MVP consideration if/when the Celtics are more successful winning games. 

But I could care less if Tatum or any other Celtic wins an MVP award.

I just want the team to succeed.
One usually gets you the other
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)