Author Topic: A question to Boston College fans  (Read 4000 times)

A question to Boston College fans
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
What do you know about John Oates? Not the musician, but this guy:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=23737

I'm aware he isn't a very good player, but what are your opinions on him? What are his main strengths and weaknesses? Is he a good teammate? Do you know anything about his off-court behavior?  Do you think he has some room to improvement?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Re: A question to Boston College fans
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Watched him quite a bit in college.  BC grad.

Can't say I came away too impressed.  Tendency to get himself in foul trouble with stupid fouls.  Also, his decision-making was questionable at times.  Sometimes he'd float out on the perimeter and heave up ill-advised shots at, seemingly, the worse time.  Lots of times it was 3 point attempts. No real need for a guy his side doing that. There was also a question of his committment to his team sometimes. At least one instance, I know of, involved him being out late the night before a day game. 

Strengths:  Very physical and seemed to be adequate at getting position underneath the hoop.

Just one man's opinion.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Big body (got bigger has he got older) that took up space underneath on the defensive end.  On the offensive end, he was more apt to take a three than mussel under the boards. 

If I remember correctly by his senior year he had quite a bit of body art. 

Serviceable at best, even in the college game.  (I love BC hoops)

Why?
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Didn't graduate from BC, but have been a big BC supporter for a while now...

Never came away very impressed after watching Oats.  I remember that early on, in his freshman year, he was expected to compete for big minutes and contribute on a very good BC team that went to the sweet 16.  Oats was supposed to eventually be the guy that replaced Uka Agbai and Mr. Bust himself, Nate Doornekamp, but never really progressed much since that freshman season.

Seems like a guy more content with hanging around the perimiter rather than doing the dirty work that you appreciate in a big man.  As you can see, he's never averaged 4 rebounds or 1 block in an entire season, and has never earned much more than 20 minutes of action per game.  not only could he not help out as a youngster, but he's never been able to provide the type of leadership/numbers that would help Tyrese Rice out, the team has been forced to rely on freshman/sophmores for a number of years now.

If i may ask, what prompted your question on Oatsy?

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

My guess is this:  Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

Oates, a 6-foot-10 forward-center, averaged 4.3 points and 3.4 rebounds for the Eagles this past season. He again showed off a smooth shooting touch by making 42.4 percent of his 3-pointers.

Oates has elevated his game with another step up in competition this summer. He had a brief tryout with the Celtics. He thought he was going to play on the Knicks' summer-league team but it fell through. Meantime, Oates has worked daily with two trainers in the Boston area since graduating in May.

I think i just threw up a bit in my mouth...

DKC Utah Jazz

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 03:33:46 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
in my last yr at BC,
Oates is terrible

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
in my last yr at BC,
Oates is terrible
Where do you live? I'm in the mods. Also John Oates is a terrible basketball player, a very nice guy though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Thanks for the answers guys. TPs for you all. Pretty much the same picture we have here, including the commitment issues.  :-\

Coach likes to have a big man who can shoot the rock from distance, to run his secondary OS, without compromising much the toughness inside on the other end. Saw this guy working out and liked him. Not much money left on the budget, very cheap deal, so... We already have two solid Americans with European experience to play upfront, Oathes is going to be asked to provide some decent play in limited minutes off the bench, hitting a 20ft shot every half without chucking much and keeping things steady and physical under the hoop on defense. Hopefully he'll succeed, we'll see... At least he has an honest agent.

Spot on, good finding. That contract is not guaranteed for the next 2 weeks though, so it would be nice to see him bringing up that "elevation in his game" to the training camp. Anyway, reading his remarks about the contract it looks like we could be saving around $1.000/month, no? Heh.

p.s. - Oatsy is a cool nickname, btw.

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Thanks for the answers guys. TPs for you all. Pretty much the same picture we have here, including the commitment issues.  :-\

Coach likes to have a big man who can shoot the rock from distance, to run his secondary OS, without compromising much the toughness inside on the other end. Saw this guy working out and liked him. Not much money left on the budget, very cheap deal, so... We already have two solid Americans with European experience to play upfront, Oathes is going to be asked to provide some decent play in limited minutes off the bench, hitting a 20ft shot every half without chucking much and keeping things steady and physical under the hoop on defense. Hopefully he'll succeed, we'll see... At least he has an honest agent.

Spot on, good finding. That contract is not guaranteed for the next 2 weeks though, so it would be nice to see him bringing up that "elevation in his game" to the training camp. Anyway, reading his remarks about the contract it looks like we could be saving around $1.000/month, no? Heh.

p.s. - Oatsy is a cool nickname, btw.

Thanks, right back atchya
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
as a umass alum....oates is the second coming of matt bonner

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Well, if Bonner is half the player Dirk is, then Oates is a quarter of the player Bonner is.

I think you'll have him back really soon, he's a goner. Terrible, terrible... he can hit that 3, indeed; unfortunately and despairingly, only during practices. And that's all. Some guys may have quality, but they simply can't adapt and show it. 

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell

Well, if Bonner is half the player Dirk is, then Oates is a quarter of the player Bonner is.

I think you'll have him back really soon, he's a goner. Terrible, terrible... he can hit that 3, indeed; unfortunately and despairingly, only during practices. And that's all. Some guys may have quality, but they simply can't adapt and show it. 

We tried to warn ya, haha.

Any box scores you can toss over for a laugh or two?

DKC Utah Jazz