Author Topic: Observations from the Cavs fan  (Read 6314 times)

Re: Observations from the Cavs fan
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 12:27:48 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
And, yes, Pierce has taken lessons at the LeBron James Acting School for the Discriminating Basketball Player. He graduated summa cum laude.

And they tell me "you can't teach an old dog new tricks". Hmmm.
Maybe there are career opportunities in Hollywood for some of
these guys in the future.

Mac, you're our foe but only on the hardwood.
You just *walked* in here and earned the respect
of a lot of us, so TP for that!

(Thanks, Redz. The quotes are killing me
these days, it seems  ::))
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:32:02 AM by Redz »

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:59 AM »

Offline Smitty

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 11
MMac,

I think that Perk's block was clean on LJ and the refs ALWAYS let the contact after the block go.  Also, your Cavs shot 41 FT's to our 23 and most of ours were in the last 1.5 minutes as your guys were fouling on purpose.  I appreciate your posts, but come on now.  Let's try and be objective here, please.

Smitty

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Pierce does better against Lebron because he plays off him.  Give him the deep shot.  Don't give Lebron an easy 1st step.

Rondo hit a few outside shots, but the key was that the players were moving without the ball again.  That means Rondo isn't just setting up on the weakside. 

Important key.  Rondo's defense against the combo guards trying to get up the court.  Cleveland had no choice but to use James in that role.  Before that happened, the combo guards got James the ball in better position then James could create himself.  Allowed James early easy baskets. 

This is a spot on post. Totally accurate. Every possession in the first half i was yelling at my TV: Move! Move the ball! Move your bodies!

As soon as we did, we went 12-18 from the field (3rd quarter).

As for the OP: I didn't disagree with your post, except for 2 things. Paul Pierce rarely sells fouls. In fact, he gets gipped horribly much of the time. Also, there was no home cooking in terms of the officiating tonight. It wasn't bad overall, but if anything, it was a little bit in favor of the Cavs. In the first half especially, the Cavs were allowed a greater degree of physicality on D than the C's, and that stymied us more than anything (not saying you guys are bad defenders or anything... just that Z and Varajeo were bumping guys when they blitzed on the picks).

Quite the homer point of view above.

Paul got an embarrassing call against Varejao in the second half through some gifted acting. As much as I love PP, his flailing for calls when he is out of control is getting old.

The problem with PP trying to act his way into a foul is that he looks too out of control at times for anyone to take him seriously. Then he ends up throwing the ball to no one when he spins into a triple team.

The refs weren't call much inside at all. Both teams were very physical, yet few fouls were call either way.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37:15 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Cleveland had 20 more fta than Boston until the last 1.23. Can't call that home cooking.

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008, 01:28:10 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Pierce does better against Lebron because he plays off him.  Give him the deep shot.  Don't give Lebron an easy 1st step.

Rondo hit a few outside shots, but the key was that the players were moving without the ball again.  That means Rondo isn't just setting up on the weakside. 

Important key.  Rondo's defense against the combo guards trying to get up the court.  Cleveland had no choice but to use James in that role.  Before that happened, the combo guards got James the ball in better position then James could create himself.  Allowed James early easy baskets. 

This is a spot on post. Totally accurate. Every possession in the first half i was yelling at my TV: Move! Move the ball! Move your bodies!

As soon as we did, we went 12-18 from the field (3rd quarter).

As for the OP: I didn't disagree with your post, except for 2 things. Paul Pierce rarely sells fouls. In fact, he gets gipped horribly much of the time. Also, there was no home cooking in terms of the officiating tonight. It wasn't bad overall, but if anything, it was a little bit in favor of the Cavs. In the first half especially, the Cavs were allowed a greater degree of physicality on D than the C's, and that stymied us more than anything (not saying you guys are bad defenders or anything... just that Z and Varajeo were bumping guys when they blitzed on the picks).

Quite the homer point of view above.

Paul got an embarrassing call against Varejao in the second half through some gifted acting. As much as I love PP, his flailing for calls when he is out of control is getting old.

The problem with PP trying to act his way into a foul is that he looks too out of control at times for anyone to take him seriously. Then he ends up throwing the ball to no one when he spins into a triple team.

The refs weren't call much inside at all. Both teams were very physical, yet few fouls were call either way.

Actually, Paul has turned taking charges into an art, and it's a great defensive weapon. There's a little acting involved at times, but no more than anyone else in the NBA. Takes a lot of you-know-what to step in front of a charging opponent and sacrifice your body for the team ... it's not easy, and it hurts, man! Whether there's some flopping involved or not, that kind of effort should be applauded, not criticized. I guess refs still take him seriously ... as he's led the team and drawn 31 in the regular season alone, (followed by Posey with 28). As a coach, I'd reward that kind of stat from any of my players!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:12 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
There was a large free throw disparity last night, but go back and watch the first half.  Boston was talking jump shots all half.  Its hard to get to the line when you are taking jump shots.  Honestly, Boston hit mostly jump shots last night.  The Cavs, on the other hand, were driving to the basket.  That's where fouls are going to be called.  Honestly, I think the game was well officiated last night.

Andy is the type of player I would hate if he didn't play on the Cavs.  He plays good defense, can frustrate Garnett and can position himself for a charge (even if he has to flop a little to get the call)  :)  But, look at the guy, he looks like he should be nothing...it has got to be frustrating to play someone who looks so pathetic but actually plays well.

Finally, thanks to everyone for all your kind comments.  Respect is something I take very seriously especially on another team's forum.  I never understood people who troll and I will never be one of those people.

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Some excellent points. Cleveland lost this game on the free throw line and in their defense of Rondo. But I think the high pick and roll with better spacing on the floor from the other Celtics was just as responsible for Rondo's game as was the extra tight defensive play on Cleveland's part.

Thanx nick. 

Now to let the Celtic fans in on a little secret...Tony Parker crushed the Cavs last year in the finals because they can't handle quick PGs that can penetrate (look at how well Rondo did in game 1).

The Celtics can win game 6 if Rondo plays this aggresive again

Doc is too busy formulating his own type of offense which is wing based as what Mike always keeps pointing out and a lot of iso plays....he never studies tapes based on last yr.s demolition job of the Spurs.....taht is Doc being Doc.

Fortunately, the C's ran a lot of Pick n rolls bet KG and Rondo plus they mixed it up with KG in the post...now that is Doc not being Doc but taking a page from Byron Scott's book...