Author Topic: Observations from the Cavs fan  (Read 6313 times)

Observations from the Cavs fan
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
The Cavs were guarding Rondo way too closely allowing him to drive past his defender with his superior speed.  I will never understand this.  Back 10 feet off the guy and make him hit jumpers all night.  Rondo did a great job taking advantage of this mistake.

Contrary to popular belief of Celtic fans, Paul Pierce is the best defender of Lebron, not James Posey.

Daniel Gibson getting injured was a huge blow to the Cavs.  He doesn't miss the 3 pointer in the 4th that Wally missed.

The awful 3rd quarter (a huge problem last year) reared its ugly head at the worst possible time

Missed way too many free throws

Andy Varejao should be ashamed for letting a man with 2 bum ankles out jump him for a crucial rebound late in the game

Apparently Lebron is the world's strongest man since his shoulder brushing Paul Pierce sent Pierce flying 20 feet (he must be taking lessons from Lebron, both of these guys 'sell' fouls way too often)

Boston has now done a nice job at home in pulling out 2 games that the Cavs could have won.  They definitely take advantage of some home cooking.

Sorry for such a long post, especially from a Cavs fan point of view.....just wanted to get some observations from the other side out there.

Re: Observations from the Cavs fan
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Apparently Lebron is the world's strongest man since his shoulder brushing Paul Pierce sent Pierce flying 20 feet (he must be taking lessons from Lebron, both of these guys 'sell' fouls way too often)

It was a foul, but Pierce was pretty ridiculous flying off him like a shot cannonball.  Unfortunately half the league does this sort of thing.

You're a fearless poster Mac.  Good luck in Game 6.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Pierce does better against Lebron because he plays off him.  Give him the deep shot.  Don't give Lebron an easy 1st step.

Rondo hit a few outside shots, but the key was that the players were moving without the ball again.  That means Rondo isn't just setting up on the weakside. 

Important key.  Rondo's defense against the combo guards trying to get up the court.  Cleveland had no choice but to use James in that role.  Before that happened, the combo guards got James the ball in better position then James could create himself.  Allowed James early easy baskets. 

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Important key.  Rondo's defense against the combo guards trying to get up the court.  Cleveland had no choice but to use James in that role.  Before that happened, the combo guards got James the ball in better position then James could create himself.  Allowed James early easy baskets. 
That was great play by Rondo, his defense was brilliant tonight. You could tell early in the first quarter that he was intent on playing better defense but he really turned it up to another level in the third quarter. He took Delonte out of that game early in the third. Gave the C's a huge advantage.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:58:54 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
Ha!  Thanx Redz.  

The game was very frustrating to watch out here in Cleveland.  The Cavs looked like they were on their game and then Rondo, Rajon freakin Rondo hits 2 threes in a row.  Just crazy.  My dad was yelling that the Cavs can't leave him open like that and I told him that I don't think Rondo has ever hit 2 threes in a row in his life.  The Cavs trategy all along was to let Rondo take the jumpers...he just hit some tonight.

The Celtics played hard and didn't quit when the Cavs had them on the ropes early.  They really are a completely different team at home (much like the Cavs).  

Good win tonight for the Celtics.  

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:11 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
I can only admit this here since it is a Celtics forum but I am a huge Rondo fan.  I spent some years in Lexington and am a huge UK fan.  I always loved his defense

Rondo played just great tonight.  He plays great defense (his block of West (I think it was West) was huge).  If the boy develops a consistent jumper he will be an elite PG.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

Contrary to popular belief of Celtic fans, Paul Pierce is the best defender of Lebron, not James Posey.

I do think this is true. Finally this game, though, PP brought to O to match.

I gotta say that I was impressed with Ray's rebound. And surprised.

I also gotta say it's been a pleasure having you aboard, MMacOh, to get your insight and observations on the games. Most of the fans of other teams that have been on this board have been more or less trolls. It's been refreshing to have someone who is candid, a fan of their team, respectful of their opponent, and an obviously smart fan of basketball.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:05:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Ha!  Thanx Redz. 

The game was very frustrating to watch out here in Cleveland.  The Cavs looked like they were on their game and then Rondo, Rajon freakin Rondo hits 2 threes in a row.  Just crazy.  My dad was yelling that the Cavs can't leave him open like that and I told him that I don't think Rondo has ever hit 2 threes in a row in his life.  The Cavs trategy all along was to let Rondo take the jumpers...he just hit some tonight.

The Celtics played hard and didn't quit when the Cavs had them on the ropes early.  They really are a completely different team at home (much like the Cavs). 

Good win tonight for the Celtics. 

I posted this in the game thread but I don't think many people saw it, and I've been drinking and find it kinda funny, so here it is for the Cavs fan:

Whenever 82games.com gets around to tracking a "times staggering away from a live play while clutching your face" stat, how much do you think LeBron will beat Ginobili by?  And how many million a year will Varejao's agent claim his top-10 ranking is worth?

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:08:58 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum

I do think this is true. Finally this game, though, PP brought to O to match.

I gotta say that I was impressed with Ray's rebound. And surprised.

I also gotta say it's been a pleasure having you aboard, MMacOh, to get your insight and observations on the games. Most of the fans of other teams that have been on this board have been more or less trolls. It's been refreshing to have someone who is candid, a fan of their team, respectful of their opponent, and an obviously smart fan of basketball.

Thanx, and a TP to you.

I left off an observation that I am sure you Celtic fans all loved.....

The next time I see Z out on the town I may just slap him.  He watched as Delonte West tried to guard KG and instead of rotating over to double he decided that it was more important to not leave Big Baby.  KG finished with a monster dunk.  Just a bonehead play out of the big man from the Cavs

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Pierce does better against Lebron because he plays off him.  Give him the deep shot.  Don't give Lebron an easy 1st step.

Rondo hit a few outside shots, but the key was that the players were moving without the ball again.  That means Rondo isn't just setting up on the weakside. 

This is a spot on post. Totally accurate. Every possession in the first half i was yelling at my TV: Move! Move the ball! Move your bodies!

As soon as we did, we went 12-18 from the field (3rd quarter).

As for the OP: I didn't disagree with your post, except for 2 things. Paul Pierce rarely sells fouls. In fact, he gets gipped horribly much of the time. Also, there was no home cooking in terms of the officiating tonight. It wasn't bad overall, but if anything, it was a little bit in favor of the Cavs. In the first half especially, the Cavs were allowed a greater degree of physicality on D than the C's, and that stymied us more than anything (not saying you guys are bad defenders or anything... just that Z and Varajeo were bumping guys when they blitzed on the picks).

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:13:48 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum

I posted this in the game thread but I don't think many people saw it, and I've been drinking and find it kinda funny, so here it is for the Cavs fan:

Whenever 82games.com gets around to tracking a "times staggering away from a live play while clutching your face" stat, how much do you think LeBron will beat Ginobili by?  And how many million a year will Varejao's agent claim his top-10 ranking is worth?

I know exactly which play you are talking about.  Lebron drove and Perkins and Garnett collapsed on him.  Perkins 'blocked' the shot by hitting Lebron on the forearm (if you don't believe me watch the replay) and someone poked him in the eye (unintentionally).

This is a classic example of home cooking.  That foul gets called in Cleveland and not in Boston, which is fine.  That's just how the league works.  At least it is consistent.   :)

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Cavs were guarding Rondo way too closely allowing him to drive past his defender with his superior speed.  I will never understand this.  Back 10 feet off the guy and make him hit jumpers all night.  Rondo did a great job taking advantage of this mistake.

Daniel Gibson getting injured was a huge blow to the Cavs.  He doesn't miss the 3 pointer in the 4th that Wally missed.

The awful 3rd quarter (a huge problem last year) reared its ugly head at the worst possible time

Missed way too many free throws

Andy Varejao should be ashamed for letting a man with 2 bum ankles out jump him for a crucial rebound late in the game

Boston has now done a nice job at home in pulling out 2 games that the Cavs could have won.  They definitely take advantage of some home cooking.

Sorry for such a long post, especially from a Cavs fan point of view.....just wanted to get some observations from the other side out there.

Mac, you're my new favorite poster!! TP4U for having a huge sack for coming here and posting.

And posting so well at that!

Some excellent points. Cleveland lost this game on the free throw line and in their defense of Rondo. But I think the high pick and roll with better spacing on the floor from the other Celtics was just as responsible for Rondo's game as was the extra tight defensive play on Cleveland's part.

Having watched every single one of Rondo's games over the last two years I think I'll let Cleveland in on a little secret. If you frustrate and stop Rondo early he will more than likely struggle the whole game. But let him make a couple of nice plays via going to the basket, blocking a shot, stealing a pass, or hitting a jumper or two, and the opposition will regret it.

The more Rondo plays well the better he continues to play. He feeds off his confidence and becomes more and more lethal the more you let him play well.

And if Rondo goes well, it is extremely difficult to beat this team, anywhere.

You're also on point about Pierce's defense on LeBron. I think he matches up physically and mentally better against LeBron than any other player in the league.

Gibson was a horrible late game loss.

And, yes, Pierce has taken lessons at the LeBron James Acting School for the Discriminating Basketball Player. He graduated summa cum laude.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:29 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum

As for the OP: I didn't disagree with your post, except for 2 things. Paul Pierce rarely sells fouls. In fact, he gets gipped horribly much of the time. Also, there was no home cooking in terms of the officiating tonight. It wasn't bad overall, but if anything, it was a little bit in favor of the Cavs. In the first half especially, the Cavs were allowed a greater degree of physicality on D than the C's, and that stymied us more than anything (not saying you guys are bad defenders or anything... just that Z and Varajeo were bumping guys when they blitzed on the picks).

The first half was very physical and there were a lot of plays where fouls could have been called but weren't.  It happened on both ends (your boy KG gets away with pushing people....alot).  I am not one to complain about the refs,and I refuse to ever blame the refs for a loss.  Great teams adapt to how a game is being called and still win.  

Pierce has acted like he has been shot a couple times this series which has surprised me, but that is how the league is now...players 'sell' fouls to ensure that the foul is called

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 12:23:05 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum

Some excellent points. Cleveland lost this game on the free throw line and in their defense of Rondo. But I think the high pick and roll with better spacing on the floor from the other Celtics was just as responsible for Rondo's game as was the extra tight defensive play on Cleveland's part.

Thanx nick. 

Now to let the Celtic fans in on a little secret...Tony Parker crushed the Cavs last year in the finals because they can't handle quick PGs that can penetrate (look at how well Rondo did in game 1).

The Celtics can win game 6 if Rondo plays this aggresive again

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:25:30 AM »

Offline PerkinsERA43

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39

The first half was very physical and there were a lot of plays where fouls could have been called but weren't.  It happened on both ends (your boy KG gets away with pushing people....alot).  I am not one to complain about the refs,and I refuse to ever blame the refs for a loss.  Great teams adapt to how a game is being called and still win.  

Pierce has acted like he has been shot a couple times this series which has surprised me, but that is how the league is now...players 'sell' fouls to ensure that the foul is called

Pierce may exaggerate the foul, but its never a flat out flop (although the offensive on Lebron ALMOST was). I personally cannot stand Varejao because he flops around the court so much. Him and Ginobli are the worst (bitter? noooo).

KG probably does push... but so does Z. Every play.

I agree with you that the refs should never be blamed for a loss (except games 4 and 5 in ATL).