Author Topic: Super Shortened Rotation  (Read 10966 times)

Super Shortened Rotation
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
24 second half minutes by Rondo.  40+ minutes for all of the starters except for Perk.  Sometimes the best bench is no bench.  Can we give Doc a wee bit of credit for this?  Solved the whole Cassell/House issue.  Sit em both down.  All Rondo, all the time!  Big Baby led the bench with 6 points tonight, but this had to have been the most minutes we've seen from the starters all year (for a non OT game)
Yup

Re: Super Shortened Rotation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The players won this game.

The players and the refs almost gave this game away at the end.

And Doc Rivers had what was probably his best game of coaching since coming to the Celtics.

But I'm sure hell get no credit for that on this website.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

And Doc Rivers had what was probably his best game of coaching since coming to the Celtics.

Amazing how Big Baby could make Doc look so stupid in Game 4, and so smart in Game 5
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Doc coached well tonight.  He relied upon his starters, and when something was working, he didn't switch it up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 11:12:50 PM »

Offline Hondo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Credit given.  I agree the best game he has coached in these playoffs.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 11:19:42 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Doc coached well tonight.  He relied upon his starters, and when something was working, he didn't switch it up.

Big Baby was a huge energy boost too.....

Doc stepped up big coaching-wise....he got better matchups for Pierce on the pick and roll and got the team into better spacing and also used more high pick and rolls with Rondo and KG (something a poster named Mike used to call for who we haven't seen here in a while).

lots of good things from Doc tonight.....

maybe the biggest being not panicking when they got down by 14 and keeping the team focused on executing the offense and keeping good consistent pressure on the ball....

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
 i agree, credit given.

extra credit if he keeps it up.
 (same rotation for game 6)

i was amazed he he left rondo in there at the beginning of the fourth. Finally, common sense prevailed.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

maybe the biggest being not panicking when they got down by 14 and keeping the team focused on executing the offense and keeping good consistent pressure on the ball....

Absolutely.  It was just looking like more of the same early on.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:20 PM »

Offline TerreHaute

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38
With the extra rest in the playoffs, seeing the starters for 40+ minutes is a good thing. I am not sure about playing Rondo the entire 2nd half every night, but he doesn't need long rests.

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:26:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I am not sure about playing Rondo the entire 2nd half every night, but he doesn't need long rests.

No, you can't expect that every night, but it was totally necessary tonight.  As we saw at the very end it was important to keep the foot on the throttle and Rondo was doing that.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Absolutely.  It was just looking like more of the same early on.

we were seriously on the verge of getting totally blown out at home.

and it looked like Pierce and KG were starting to think about that......a bad sign indeed.

i think Rondo's buckets and Doc staying in their ear got them out of a potentially lethal funk (one i was starting to fall into as well).

ranks up there as one of the gutsiest comebacks for a Cs team in a long long while....CLE's defense had us totally shut down and demoralized, but they muscled through...

this playoffs has been off the chain!

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Amazing how Big Baby could make Doc look so stupid in Game 4, and so smart in Game 5
It was probably a smart move both times or an idiotic move both times.

So Doc either lucked out tonight or Big Baby just didn't perform on Monday.

Or maybe a little bit of both.

But Doc has gone to him both times in the fourth because he recognized that Leon was giving him absolutely nothing in the first half of both games.

Doc is criticized for not making in game adjustments, but when he does and it doesn't work out he's an idiot. When he does and it does work out, then he got lucky or it was so simplistic anyone could have done it. Or say say the Doc naysayers.

Doc did a ton right tonight:

- Doc's going with Rondo for the whole 24 in the second half
- Doc seeing that Posey was getting torched by LeBron in the first half and instantly going back in with Pierce
- His insistance for ball movement that finally came about
- Doc's insertion of Baby for what I believe was a beat the hell out of the guys underneath move and recognizing Leon was getting killed
- His defensive call late in the game that caused the 5 second violation on Delonte
- His extremely judicious use of a bench that didn't give him anything until the fourth
- The constant calls for the high pick and rolls that freed Rondo to do his magic.
- The excellent spacing adjustment from the first half that opened up the lanes for Rondo and the success
of the high pick and roll.
- Good use of timeouts that calmed the team when things looked like they might be starting to unravel.
- Lastly, finally recognizing that he rested the starters all year so that they could give him 40 a night in the playoffs and finally using his starters 40 minutes.

All that said, the play of Rondo on both ends, KG's hot hand and complete control of the defensive boards, the Captain's superb defense on LeBron and renewed offensive presence, Ray contributions that went nearly unnoticed because he didn't score a lot, Big Baby, Perkins defense down low, and Posey's defense in the second half are the reason's the Celtics won this game.

They took their collective heads out of their asses and started playing the type of basketball(well, except for that Posey back pass and Ray Allen TO in the fourth) that brought them to where they are.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 11:39:45 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

It was probably a smart move both times or an idiotic move both times.

So Doc either lucked out tonight or Big Baby just didn't perform on Monday.

Or maybe a little bit of both.

But Doc has gone to him both times in the fourth because he recognized that Leon was giving him absolutely nothing in the first half of both games.

Doc is criticized for not making in game adjustments, but when he does and it doesn't work out he's an idiot. When he does and it does work out, then he got lucky or it was so simplistic anyone could have done it. Or say say the Doc naysayers.

Doc did a ton right tonight:

- Doc's going with Rondo for the whole 24 in the second half
- Doc seeing that Posey was getting torched by LeBron in the first half and instantly going back in with Pierce
- His insistance for ball movement that finally came about
- Doc's insertion of Baby for what I believe was a beat the hell out of the guys underneath move and recognizing Leon was getting killed
- His defensive call late in the game that caused the 5 second violation on Delonte
- His extremely judicious use of a bench that didn't give him anything until the fourth
- The constant calls for the high pick and rolls that freed Rondo to do his magic.
- The excellent spacing adjustment from the first half that opened up the lanes for Rondo and the success
of the high pick and roll.
- Good use of timeouts that calmed the team when things looked like they might be starting to unravel.
- Lastly, finally recognizing that he rested the starters all year so that they could give him 40 a night in the playoffs and finally using his starters 40 minutes.

All that said, the play of Rondo on both ends, KG's hot hand and complete control of the defensive boards, the Captain's superb defense on LeBron and renewed offensive presence, Ray contributions that went nearly unnoticed because he didn't score a lot, Big Baby, Perkins defense down low, and Posey's defense in the second half are the reason's the Celtics won this game.

They took their collective heads out of their asses and started playing the type of basketball(well, except for that Posey back pass and Ray Allen TO in the fourth) that brought them to where they are.

Big Baby is absolutely the right matchup for this series.

when you have a guy like Varejao come in there and push around our guys like he was doing in games 3 and 4 and early in game 5, you need someone how can match his size, sctivity and strength....

there is nothing coincidental or accidental about the play of Big Baby tonight....

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:20 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He did a good job in the 2nd half.  Keeping Rondo in for the entire 2nd half kept the Celtics energy up. 

Got a little lucky to.  Davis stepped up big (though I would have like to see Perkins come back in when Big Z did)

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 12:03:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
He did a good job in the 2nd half.  Keeping Rondo in for the entire 2nd half kept the Celtics energy up. 

Got a little lucky to.  Davis stepped up big (though I would have like to see Perkins come back in when Big Z did)
see what I mean!

LOL.

Thanks for proving my point, wd. :) :D ;D

BTW, Baby was huge tonight, in every way possible. ;)