Author Topic: Simmons - New Column Bashing Doc, Sam, Big 3  (Read 14652 times)

Re: Simmons - New Column Bashing Doc, Sam, Big 3
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 06:08:43 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
The fact that Cassell has only learned 4 plays of the C's offense is clear evidence that he only cares about playing on national tv and is not committed to this team or winning.  He's been on the team for about 2.5 months.  Learning 4 sets is inexcusable. 
Where'd you hear the four plays from?

Doc has said countless times that Sam doesn't know all the plays and that it has made life more difficult for them.

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

Offline PlayRyanGomes

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
“Just open shots and you know honestly, we simplified it for him,” said Rivers, explaining the difference in Cassell. “I gave him four plays. Just run that. I said if we can push the ball and not run anything I’m fine by that because it’s transition. We call it random. But we just simplified it so he can play better for us.”

Four plays. Simplified.

“This is my time of the year,” Cassell said. “I love playoff basketball, I understand what it means, I understand what it takes to be successful during this time of the year. I am just trying to get on the court, Rajon is having a hell of a series right now, so he is keeping me on the sideline.”

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x2103875544
I'm just a celticsblogger.  We gonna blog on a sock, we gonna blog on a sock.

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline flexilexi

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
Pretty vicious article by Simmons, but I'll admit to having much the same angry feelings, plead guilty to overemotional fandom. 

I'm a big proponent of the Rondo/Allen/Pierce/Posey/Garnett lineup and I'm shocked that Doc has abandoned it for the playoffs.  It was our 3rd most common 5-man unit this year (http://www.82games.com/0708/0708BOS2.HTM (really 2nd b/c many of Tony Allen's minutes came when Ray was out with injuries).  A perfect example of how Doc has thrown out what was effective in the regular season out the window.

Putting Posey at the 4 does 2 very good things:

1. it allows the C's better spacing and allows for driving lanes for PP and Rondo to the basket b/c Big Z will be pulled out by KG and the 4 will be pulled out of the paint by Pose.  Sure it might hurt us on the boards, but we need to inject some offense and the cavs are effectively clogging the paint b/c we got Perk/Powe/Brown in there all the time.   

2. Gives PP some time on the floor where he doesn't have to defend LeBron. 

What doesn't work with this?  It worked for us all season!

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2008, 06:39:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
“Just open shots and you know honestly, we simplified it for him,” said Rivers, explaining the difference in Cassell. “I gave him four plays. Just run that. I said if we can push the ball and not run anything I’m fine by that because it’s transition. We call it random. But we just simplified it so he can play better for us.”

Four plays. Simplified.

“This is my time of the year,” Cassell said. “I love playoff basketball, I understand what it means, I understand what it takes to be successful during this time of the year. I am just trying to get on the court, Rajon is having a hell of a series right now, so he is keeping me on the sideline.”

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/x2103875544
thanks, great link, that was an interesting read. I saw Doc's quote in the Herald but I didn't think Doc was seriously considering playing Eddie ahead of Sam until I read that.

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »

Offline Green Mountain

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 16
Ball movement is contagious. When Cassell pounds the ball at the top of the key wasting 7 or more seconds he kills ball movement. It becomes a what can I do when I have the ball game. The problem is magnified when ET is missing his shots. Eddie House should absolutely be our back up pg. Ball movement is the key to beating good defensive teams. Our offensive struggles can be tied to a lack of ball movement. Move the ball, Share the ball, Score the ball. Just say no to ET. Frankly I'd rather see Tony Allen playing pg than Cassell.

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 07:18:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Here's an interesting stat from the Boston Herald:

Ray Allen is 12-for-36, which means he’s making one in three shots. Rajon Rondo [stats] has taken more shots than Allen; Sam Cassell, five fewer. Which kind of states how involved Allen has been in the Celtics’ offense.

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 07:25:35 PM »

Offline flanders

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 1
I love how he almost uses James Posey as a Greek chorus of reason in this land of fools. It's like he personifies experience itself and becomes Simmons' voice. I thought it was well crafted as a set-piece.

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I disagree with the idea of playing Paul at the 4.  That doesn't help Paul drive (because he's got Wallace or Varejao on him, both of whom can probably cover him on penetration
Pierce wouldn't be guarded by either of those two when we were on offense. Though if one tried to guard Pierce, he'd toast them and we'd be taking their best rebounders away from the hoop. Cleveland would never put a big on Pierce. Posey would still be playing the 4. Pierce would simply be guarding a big on defense who had a poor post up game. The Celtics used to put Kevin Gamble on Bill Laimbeer because Laimbeer shot almost exclusively from the outside.

Personally, I thought that Simmons's adjustments were spot on and its disappointing that a NBA coach can't think as clearly. I do not have any confidence in Doc as a playoff coach.

Regarding cassell, I was fine with the Cassell pickup as an insurance option if either a) Rondo got hurt or b) a team was pressing us and House was having troubles. Neither a nor b have occurred. We miss House's shooting, Cassell is killing our unselfishness on offense, Rondo's confidence as the floor general is down (looking over his shoulder) and Cassell can't guard a chair. Our team is too old as it is to bring in a non D playing, ball hogging, jumpshooting downgrade (compared to House... or Boobie or Delonte or whomever). The best thing that could happen to us is if Cassell sustained an injury, which he couldn't play though (otherwise Doc would play him at 50%), House came in and hit some threes and Rondo was given the keys back.... Oh yeah and if Doc was fired and Thibodeau took over.

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Frankly I'd rather see Tony Allen playing pg than Cassell.

I'd even take Scal at this point.

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

Offline benpike

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
I find Simmons is usually not funny enough to be funny -- and not insightful enough to be insightful, if you know what I mean.

Not as funny as he thinks he is, nor as smart as he thinks he is.

And, without getting too heavy here, he doesn't seem to like African American coaches ... or am I being paranoid?