Author Topic: Josh Smith For Jeff Green and Keith Bogans  (Read 5360 times)

Josh Smith For Jeff Green and Keith Bogans
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »

Offline ctrey

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 110

The salaries match and I think it is an intriguing move. It does help Detroit in that Smith's big salary is chopped into two smaller ones along with the fact that Bogans can be cut immediately for salary relief. It also simply moves Smith who is not going to fit in with The Pistons.

For Boston it is a gamble. There is a lot of money tied up in Smith but when he plays at his natural SF he is outstanding. Additionally he would certainly benefit from Stevens' motion offense and playing with his best bud Rondo. He also gives the Celtics a semblance of a rim protector and would most likely be an interesting counterpoint to either Olynyk or Sullinger regardless if one or both are on the floor with him.

Getting Smith gives Boston versatility without completely handcuffing them payroll wise. (I would not re-sign Humphries if this deal were made) We can put varied lineups on the floor and would be better suited for the kind of offense Stevens likes to run. It is risky certainly but makes the team better.

Re: Josh Smith For Jeff Green and Keith Bogans
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:06:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
seems like every other OP wants to figure out a way to get Josh Smith to Boston.  Can we at least make him sign an amendment to his player contract that he won't shoot any 3's?  Do we want a 3 forward who can't shoot 3's?

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How about

No

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've also thought about a Josh Smith scenario. I am less interested in him at the 3, and more interested in him back at PF, alongside either Sullinger or Olynyk.

My interest in a Josh Smith reclamation project, though, is dependent on the price tag. I actually think that Green + Bogans is too high a price. Not in terms of talent, but in terms of using up trade assets.

If Detroit holds out for much more than Wallace and a protected future draft pick, I probably pass.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:54:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I've also thought about a Josh Smith scenario. I am less interested in him at the 3, and more interested in him back at PF, alongside either Sullinger or Olynyk.

My interest in a Josh Smith reclamation project, though, is dependent on the price tag. I actually think that Green + Bogans is too high a price. Not in terms of talent, but in terms of using up trade assets.

If Detroit holds out for much more than Wallace and a protected future draft pick, I probably pass.

Yeah, I absolutely don't want to give up Green if we are taking back Josh Smith - I only want Smith playing PF and also think the pricetag should be extremely low (I like your Wallace and protected first deal and honestly think it is something they would consider).

If Green is being shipped to Det, I would hope we would be getting back Monroe. I know this has been discussed a million times, but I would be much happier getting a young, solid center in return for our starting SF than a question mark with a very high salary.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Quick question:

Did Danny Ainge have the cap space available last summer to sign Smith?

I only ask because though I've always been an advocate of landing him and his connections with Rondo, I also wonder if either DA or Smith or both parties had the opportunity to make something happen last summer but decided not to.

Also, didn't DA mention that PP and KG asked him to land Josh Smith at one point during the big 3 era? If Smoove to Boston was meant to be, I wonder whether it would've already happened by now or whether that ship has sailed.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Quick question:

Did Danny Ainge have the cap space available last summer to sign Smith?

I only ask because though I've always been an advocate of landing him and his connections with Rondo, I also wonder if either DA or Smith or both parties had the opportunity to make something happen last summer but decided not to.

No, not enough cap space. The only way they could have landed Smith from Atlanta was via a sign-and-trade.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:27:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ok....so in that case, it wasn't because of a lack of interest on DA's part...got it.

Plus, I am assuming Atlanta wouldn't have been interested in a S/T with Boston.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Ok....so in that case, it wasn't because of a lack of interest on DA's part...got it.

Plus, I am assuming Atlanta wouldn't have been interested in a S/T with Boston.

Other than KG/Pierce, the Cs cabinets were pretty bare last summer. I don't think the Hawks were in any position to be giving up multiple firsts over the next cpl of years, like NJ.

As for a Det trade of Smith - since they signed him outright, anything they receive in a trade should be considered a bonus. Just because his play in Det has been underwhelming doesn't mean the signing also has to be. If they end up with a decent player/first rounder, they should consider themselves pretty lucky.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 12:06:28 AM »

Offline fandrew

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 25
No thanks. The thought of getting Josh Smith makes me want to throw up for a bit. Seriously, what is the big fascination with this guy? Hey why not trade all of our assets for Rudy Gay while we're at it?
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care." - Peter Gibbons

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Atlanta let him walk. I would rather clone Gerald Wallace and  sign that clone to a second Gerald Wallace style cap killing contract than send out Jeff Green production, and Bogan's contract flexibility on Josh Smith :-P
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:20 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
No thanks. The thought of getting Josh Smith makes me want to throw up for a bit. Seriously, what is the big fascination with this guy? Hey why not trade all of our assets for Rudy Gay while we're at it?

I too cannot fathom why there is such interest in Josh Smith here.  The Pistons must be desperate at this point to get out from under his contract. 

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I think the Celtics are better off trading rondo and trying to rebuild through the draft, but if we're going to rebuild on the fly I like this trade and it may be feasible if Detroit is desperate enough to get rid of Smith.  Smith's shot selection isn't very good, but Detroit didn't help him by sticking him at small forward with two big men who can't shoot 3's.  He was pretty much forced to stay away from the basket or their spacing would be destroyed.  He was a good player at the 4 in Atlanta (better than Green) even with his poor shot selection, and he was a monster that one year he stopped shooting 3's.  His upside is just way higher than Green's.  I know it's risky to gamble that we can get him to stop shooting 3's, but given the relatively low cost of acquiring him and the fact that he would be playing with hands down the best coach and point guard of his career (not to mention a close friend that he respects), I'd take that chance. 

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Good God, no.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this would be a lateral move. no thanks.