Author Topic: Any questions regarding Perk's value against the Heat?  (Read 14308 times)

Re: Any questions regarding Perk's value against the Heat?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The really long post on the main page sums it up well, Perk is a terribly one-dimensional player at this point in his career, with any explosiveness that he maybe once had gone after the knee surgery.

I think both Danny and Doc saw the teams that would be in front of us in our quest to Banner 18 - Miami, Chicago, and to a lesser extent Atlanta, New York, Philly - and saw that none of these teams had a prototypical 5 that required a counter on our end.  Maybe you could argue Horford, but he's a PF.  I am not scared of Tyson Chandler on offense

The only team in our conference that has this guy is Orlando.  But Orlando was collapsing last year, and completed the collapse this year.  They were no longer a true threat.  Also, Danny knew Howard was going into Free Agency either this year or next year...he might not even be in the Eastern Conference in 2013.

Our focus has to be on beating Miami, Chicago w/ or w/o D-Rose, Philly, NY, and Atl.  We need long, athletic bigs who can run, catch Rondo passes, and hit open 12 footers.  Perk has none of those qualities.

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Ainge dodged a bullet...and if green comes back and is successful it will look even better

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I loved Perk while he was here too, but let's not forget that in '08 he wasn't on the court at the end of games: it was Posey in a small ball lineup.  After that, it was BBD with the Core Four. 

So it's not like he was ever a full game player for us either.  He was a tough, defensive-minded role player.  He still is.  It's just some people have romanticized his role here to the point that they now find themselves disappointed that he's not living up to something he never was. 

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Adrian Wojnarowski:
Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins played the final three playoff rounds with a partially torn groin, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Seems like everyone has their injury at this point in the year, but much respect to Perk.  Tough to protect the rim with a torn groin.  If this injury is as debilitating as it sounds then we didn't witness Perks true value this postseason.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Adrian Wojnarowski:
Oklahoma City center Kendrick Perkins played the final three playoff rounds with a partially torn groin, league sources tell Y! Sports.

Seems like everyone has their injury at this point in the year, but much respect to Perk.  Tough to protect the rim with a torn groin.  If this injury is as debilitating as it sounds then we didn't witness Perks true value this postseason.

The problem is that Perk is always hurt when you need him the most.  This is the 3rd time he's been to the Finals and each time he has been hurt.  Not saying it's his fault, but that is what happens when he gets to the Finals.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I loved Perk while he was here too, but let's not forget that in '08 he wasn't on the court at the end of games: it was Posey in a small ball lineup.  After that, it was BBD with the Core Four. 
While Perkins was a Celtic it was Perkins/Sheed more often than it was Glen Davis.

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 11:03:34 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
While Perkins was a Celtic it was Perkins/Sheed more often than it was Glen Davis.
Sheed wasn't here in 08.

In 08 it was Perk, KG, Pierce, Ray, Rondo

Then Posey at PF in small ball lineup. (Posey was also the first back up wing.)

Then Brown and then BBD or Powe (neither really claimed title of 4th big outright.)

Then House or Cassell as backup guard (neither really claimed title of third guard, depended on matchups...)

Then it was Tony Allen as the next wing/guard...

Then it was whoever was left.

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I loved Perk while he was here too, but let's not forget that in '08 he wasn't on the court at the end of games: it was Posey in a small ball lineup.  After that, it was BBD with the Core Four.  
Sheed wasn't here in 08.

In 08 it was Perk, KG, Pierce, Ray, Rondo

Then Posey at PF in small ball lineup. (Posey was also the first back up wing.)

Then Brown and then BBD or Powe (neither really claimed title of 4th big outright.)

Then House or Cassell as backup guard (neither really claimed title of third guard, depended on matchups...)

Then it was Tony Allen as the next wing/guard...

Then it was whoever was left.

in 07-08 Perkins/Posey
08-09 Perkins/Davis (no KG)
09-10 Perkins/Sheed

Doc went with Perkins for defense and another player if he wanted more offense. From time to time he'd ride the "hot hand" of another bench player as well once Posey was gone.

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Perk is the same player he's always been, he just doesn't have KG and Rondo to help make up for his... um... lack of talent.  :-X

Danny Ainge was right.

This.

OKC can't complain one bit. Perk helped them get over the hump defeating LA LAKERS. I'm adamant OKC wouldn't have gone this far without Perk.

I think if Perk was still here, he'd be 8 & 8 guy easily.

An 8 & 8 guy?  The Celtics got much better numbers from Garnett at the Center position once he switched.  And Bass gave KG like numbers this year as a PF starter compared to what KG had been giving recently as the Celtics starting PF.

I hope OKC amnesties Perk.  They overpaid for him.  Hopefully, he can come back to the Celtics at a cheaper price.  If not, then I hope OKC keeps him.  I would hate to see him play with the Bulls or Heat.
We all think we know more than we really do....

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
The very athletic Ibaka averaged 7 and 5 in the Finals.  Where's the thread proclaiming how terrible he is?

Perk helped his team to the Finals, with his ability to play the big men in the West being a key factor.

Ibaka did very little against a Miami team that he should have been able to get thrive against.  Harden averaged 12 ppg in the Finals on 37% shooting.  

Perk was closer to the Perk they've had all season than Ibaka and especially Harden in the Finals. Considering that Perk was playing hurt, I don't have any problem with how he performed. He's at least third down the list of disappointing performers for OKC.    

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think the title of the thread should be:

"Any questions regarding Perk's Russell Westbrook's value against the Heat?"

As great a player as Westbrook is (and IMO he is a great player) - 4-20 FG% vs MIA?

Seriously?

The man can shoot, get to the basket at ease (supposedly)...smart, as athletic as anyone in the NBA....and 4 for 20 in game 5?

To be fair to Westbrook - I know that part of his job is to shoot the ball, because he is gifted enough to do just that - and do it well on most nights.

But OKC cannot win most games with him going 4-20 - not with HIS talent level.

I do look for him to get better and come back stronger next yr, but again I cannot agree with focusing on just Perk's issues vs MIA.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I loved the guy as a Celtic, but anyone who banged on the Ainge trade last season has to see that the guy averaged 4.8 ppg, 6.8 rpg and 0.6 blocks per game against the Heat. 

Frankly, it would have been nice to have his healthy body around this season.  Still, he wouldn't have played many minutes against the Heat in the ECF.

Essentially, Perk is kind of useless against most NBA teams since there aren't many imposing centers for him to push around.

perk was effective in our lineup in our system. 

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
I think most fans on this site over-rated Perk when the trade was made because he was a liked player...perk hasnt been the same since the injury though...last year he was exposed against Dirk/Chandler and this year, Bosh..

but, looking at it the move made sense for both teams with the trade done last year.

Ainge looked at the teams we need to beat in the East, and we've got Miami and the Bulls...and both have NO real center where we would need a guy like perkins...let alone pay him $8million to sit on the bench while the teams go small ball....an athletic 24y/o wing like Green makes alot more sense for the C's moving forward with Lebron, melo, deng looming in the east

OKC, was looking up at the Lakers, mavs, spurs who all have considerable size..

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Perk is a very average NBA player.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 01:22:39 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
I think the title of the thread should be:

"Any questions regarding Perk's Russell Westbrook's value against the Heat?"

As great a player as Westbrook is (and IMO he is a great player) - 4-20 FG% vs MIA?

Seriously?

The man can shoot, get to the basket at ease (supposedly)...smart, as athletic as anyone in the NBA....and 4 for 20 in game 5?

haha